PDA

View Full Version : Barnes Varmint Grenades

rich53139
12-24-2007, 12:43 PM
Hi all I'm new here and fairly new to metallic reloading. I saw an article in a magazine advertizing the new Barnes Varmint Grenade bullets and I can not seem to find any reloading data on them. I would like to load the 36gr bullet in either the 222 rem or the 22-250, so any help you can give me would be very much apprieciated. Even if it just a starting reference point or some publication that I can obtain would be helpful.

Thanks and Merry Christmas

versifier
12-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Hi rich,
Welcome to the forum. I went to the Barnes website and didn't have much more luck. Small bore data wasn't listed, so I didn't bother to join their little club - I really don't need to be on their emailing list. I did send them an email requesting data, and they also have an 800 number that I forgot to write down. Google "Barnes Bullets" and it will get you right there. I wonder how well my 1in10 and 1in12 barrels would stabilize such light bullets.
In any event, I have had great results with 55gr Sierra GK bullets out of my .223's and .22-250's out to beyond 400yds. I doubt the lighter bullets would have many if any advantages at longer ranges, especially on larger varmints (except in their advertising fantasies), and none at all at shorter ranges, at least from the standpoints of accuracy and performance. No wind resistance and poor retained energy. The frangible properties might make them more acceptable at indoor ranges. What kind of critters did you picture using them on?

flutedchamber
01-06-2009, 08:27 PM
I loaded the Barnes Varmint Grenades using the data for a standard 40 to 45 grain bullet with great success. The Varmint Grenades are long for their weight due to their construction. I saw no over pressure signs in my two rifles (225 Winchester and 22-250 Remington.)

Bill Church
01-12-2009, 12:02 AM
I loaded up a box of 100 of the 45 grain using 24 grains of 4895 for my 223 and they hit dead on the money at 150 yards. I've been shooting them out of a Savege model 11 and found a problem I didn't expect. They are so long that the ones loading from the right side of the magazine tend to hit the port as they enter the barrel. I could set them deeper, but I don't like to set the bullet that far down into the casing.

Personaly I don't fantisize about four hundred yard groups when shooting small caliber rifles and never take any sereous that spouts that kind of stuff