PDA

View Full Version : Duplicating A Factory 357 Load

gaston_r
12-09-2007, 12:39 AM
I have a ruger 4" GP-100. I have decided to learn how to reload and am interested in producing some ammo that is close to Remington 357 Mag 125 gr semi-jacketed hollow points that I buy @ Wally World for $40 per 100 rd box (L357m1b). They shoot really well in my GP. I have my sights adjusted for these rounds, and they are what I carry in my GP. I would like some ideas on some loads that would get me in the ball park. I can get lasercast bullets for about $45 for 500 at Sportsmans Warehouse locally, but they are 158 gr. I also have a 2 3/4 Ruger Speed-Six (357)with fixed sights that I took my cwp with. I used 158 gr .38 special cheapos and they shot about 6" high @ 25 yards. Does anybody know a good .38 special load that will hold close to point of aim?

versifier
12-09-2007, 02:47 AM
What you ask is not impossible, but it's not as easy as pulling a load or two out of my hat. With a bullet of the same weight, you can match the velocity fairly easily, and you might be able to get a similar POI by trying different powders that yeild the same speeds, but you are most likely going to have to adjust your sights. The load that matches the factory velocity will not necessarily be the most accurate, either.

As to the .38 load, try a lighter and faster bullet (less time in barrel = less time for the muzzle to rise from recoil). The fixed sights mean that you are going to have to be doing some experimenting, but truthfully, they're not off that far. I would try the same 125gr .357 load you work up for your other revolver as it is probably going to do what you want reasonably well.

It probably sounds like I'm just avoiding your questions, but only your guns can really tell you what they will like best and do what you want them to do. Even if I had the exact same models that you have with consecutive serial numbers assembled by the same smith, they would behave differently with the same ammo. The results might (and probably would) be acceptable, but the group sizes and POI's would differ.

FWIW, you have chosen the ideal round to begin loading with. I would start off with Unique, BlueDot, and 296 for powders, and I would get 500 125JHP's by a major manufacturer at Midway or Graf's, or your local shop. Lead bullets are fine for practicing, but if you want to try to match what the Factory stuff will do, you ought to start with comparable bullets. When you are more experienced loading, then you can start trying different weights and profiles of both jacketed and cast and start fine-tuning your loads for maximum accuracy. First you need to get used to the different operations involved, and concentrate on getting rounds that will function correctly and go BANG when you pull the trigger. It isn't rocket science, but there is quite a bit of information to digest and a good bit of practice involved in getting you up to speed.

gaston_r
12-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Thanks for the response. I have some Unique and Trail boss. I will get the others you mentioned. I have seen a lot about Montana Gold on various forums. They have 125gr jhp for $104 per 1000. Would you consider the bullets they produce? We have a Sportsman's Warehouse here in Columbia, SC, and you can get Hornady, Sierra, etc for $13-15 per 100.

versifier
12-09-2007, 04:08 PM
I have never tried Montana Gold, but if they are a good deal, give them a shot (pun intended:mrgreen:). The larger the amount, the better the deal. I bought a case of 2300+ rem 158jhp's about 20 years ago and still have a couple hundred stashed away. They were about 1/2 the cost of buying them in boxes of 100. I checked the Midway site, and if you don't like the MG's, you can get:
Mag Tech 158jhp's for $118/1000
Rem 158jsp's for $192/2000, jhp's OOS
Speer 158jhp's $63/450
Win 158jhp's $190/2000
I didn't check Graf's or Midsouth, I assume similar prices, but it would be prudent to check first, then compare the prices (don't forget shipping charges) to what you can get them for locally.

gaston_r
12-10-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks for the info, I will be checking around...