PDA

View Full Version : getting started

bigo
10-10-2007, 02:27 AM
Hello everey one Im new to this forum and to reloading.
Just a little rundown on me is im mostly a deer hunter and plinker, im from the sticks in northeast mo. I am limited on my arsenal to a 338win mag,marlin 30-30,a chinesese sks and yugoslavian sks, british 3o3, ruger superblack hawk 44, newest a s&w model6 9mm just purchased for 400 and its real new as far as use was curious if that was a decent buy?
My real question is on my reloading that im not ready to do yet , just wanting to get set up to do my 338 win mag. I have now a old rock chucker press and my 338 dies, i got the primers bullets and dies from a guy who sold his 338.
Agin im not yet a reloader and am trying to get everything i need as far as being accurate safe corect etc. I want to be right the first time you know. So ill read my lymons guide which has been really helpful. just got a few questions any green horn may have I will get my guide to really get me on track straight by the book for the detailed stuff which i know is old hat to you guys.
I have my dies, shell holder , rock chucker press, and brass, bullets an primers.
I know I need a primer tool . Can i get one for my press to do them 1 at a time,and what would it be called as far as the rcbs name. I think single priming may be my way as im going slow an easy and staying in the middle of the road on my loads.and looking for perfection an Tight groups not quanity, id rather load 5 bullets as precise as posible in a day then 50 so so ones.
i need calipers ,primer pocket tool , camfures,shell trimmer,scales,powder measure
case lube,tumbler with media i relize its not complete neccesity if brass is cleaned well,and powder of course.
I know Im probably missing some stuff if anyone could let me know what im missing or a good pack or package deal on.it dont have to be state of the art fastest in the west just my nesecitys and good equipment im looking to go cheap as possible but i want good quality stuff an im by no means in a hurry and ill pay top $ if its worth it and needed . thanks if you made it through my rambling on thanks a lot hope this is ledgible and makes since to you owen

kodiak1
10-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Calipers are a must.
You can clean primer pockets with a small screw driver and a rag. The proper tools are easier.
Yes you can get the primer you want for you press, What RCBS calls it I don't know but if you were ordering from them or going to a good reloading store and explain it like you did here they will figure it out.
Case trimmer, well another option is a trimming die run your shell in file off what sticks out deburr or chamfer and ready to load.
There will be a ton of small knic knac's you will find that you need or want but there is always a way to do it.
Use to prime shot gun shell with a wooden dowel and a flat piece of steel, set primer on steel set case on primer insert dowel tap with hammer. No wood wouldn't get the primers to sit flush that is why I used the steel. Have never had one go off.
Scale is a must and they are out there in many kinds and sizes.

You got the dies and the press and the shell holder you should be able to do it.
The other thing and you said you had a lyman book is a good book or two.

Read the books once twice three times the parts you can't grasp the first time and ask questions if it isn't registering.

Good Luck Ken.

bigo
10-10-2007, 11:26 PM
Ok thanks Im pretty well set except a few things an my table and cabinents that im making out of 1square tube and 2x12 lumber on top and 2 large cabnints on the sidethat i can lock. ok ill let u know owen

ps if your seating the shotgun primers like that u may consider a peice of brass or maybe thats to soft.

testhop
10-11-2007, 01:39 AM
i use a home made primer cleaner i go to lowes or home depot and buy some
plactic coverd cable near the size of the primer pocket i have the salesperison
cut the cable in 3 inch linghts i use apoxie and a used 223 case with the primer
removed primer fill case with apoxie and push the cable in the apoxie with 1 1/2
inch sticking out let every thing harden up then trim off a bout 1/4inch of the
plactic off end of cable it makes a great primer cleaner and if it gets damage you just cut off the damage and trim off the cable and start over
you can call r cbs at 1 800 533 5000
web www.rcbs.com
ask for 2007 catalog and rcbs introduction to handloading

on belted cases you dont get a big warning i dont load any so i dont know for sure
:coffee:
here is some things to think about the 300 win case linght is2.620
7 mm mag is 2.500
338 mag is 2.500
so you COULD use these cases but trim back to 2.490
open the mouth up to 338 [smilie=w:

i dont use a primer seater on the press i like to feel the primer seating
i use the rcbs hand priming tool and i like it very much

[smilie=w: