PDA

View Full Version : Lake city brass

mikepltsgt
10-04-2007, 02:36 AM
Has anyone out there had any problems reloading military brass (.223)? I have tried three different types of sizing dies, and I still have about roughly 20% of my rounds not chamber fully. The brass I have has only been fired once, and I can find no discernable size differences in rounds that will chamber and rounds that won't chamber. This applies towards both of my AR type rifles, a pre-ban Colt and a new HB Olympic.

testhop
10-04-2007, 12:39 PM
i dont know if you have tried a small base die thay are suppose to take care of the problum
rc bs has one in 223 in there catalog page 38 thay are not cheep $32.95 .
anouther way is to full length size them and before yoyu go any farthertry the cases in your guns discarding ones that dont fit it is a extra step but one way also have you measured the case length if you are useing brass fired in outher guns any one of these things could be the trouble

tom

klausg
10-04-2007, 03:00 PM
Mike-
Two things that may be the problem: a) the brass is too long or b) it was fired in an M249 or other MG. The first issue is a simple fix, the latter...well a small base die may or may not size it down enough to chamber. A significant percentage of MG brass is going to be garbage no matter how much sizing you try to do to it. Hope this helps

-Klaus

mikepltsgt
10-06-2007, 03:05 PM
Thaks for the info. I know that some of it was used in a 249, and it makes me wonder if the chamber tolerances are looser in order for the brass to be more distended after fired. I know that the ammo can be used in either the 249 or m16/m4 series systems. I'll try the low base sizing die and see if that improves it since the price of brass is so high, and I don't want to give any up if I can avoid it.

Roudy
10-07-2007, 03:13 PM
Mike, The suggestions about using s small base die are right on. I've had the same issues with an H&R Handi Rifle in .223 and an M1A in .308, both were resolved by using a small base die.

Roudy

kodiak1
10-08-2007, 05:38 PM
Is it a possibility that your shell holder is a bit thick? I would try another holder also and see if that changes anything for you.
Ken.