PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia and Ed's red

dromia
07-28-2007, 05:31 PM
I gave up using propriety cleaning products many years ago, I used to be a Hoppes fan , does as advertised and great smell, but the price was too much.

Some one tipped me off on Ed's Red or an equivalent as it wasn't called that then but when I came across Ed's recipe it was similar.

As ammonia is the active copper removing ingredient in most cleaners I buy that as household ammonia 10% strength from any hardware shop.

What I do is bristle brush and patch the bore turn about with Ed's Red and then ammonia leaving it no longer than 10 minutes to soak for the ammonia as some one said too long in there will damage the barrel.

I've used this for years and it does the job effectively and cheaply, I do'nt go for the unfired barrel state but I do like to get the ammonia patches not coming out blue.

In saying all this I've been given some Wipe Out and rate it highly as its squirt and leave, it's pricey so I'll need to see how far a tin gans.

Cynical
08-20-2007, 12:15 AM
OK Dromea, I'll be the first to ask. What is Ed's Red or whatever ? I have been cleaning rifles with Hopps #9 or Sweets for a long time now. If you have a formula that is similar to one of these, I'm all ears.

DeanoBeanCounter
08-20-2007, 12:46 AM
I know of Ed's Red. I have the original recipe, it's all chemical names and numbers. I would love it if someone would translate it into layman's terms and where to get the ingredients.
Cynical, it's a gun cleaner you can make by the gallon. Add lanolin and you have gun oil.
How about it dromia, can you help out? [smilie=s:
Oh yes, so I don't steal your thread, I'm going to try Wipe Out too. [smilie=w:
Deano
:twisted:

versifier
08-20-2007, 01:08 AM
Deano,
Go over to the Cb Board and search "Ed's Red". There's a good recipe there in plain English.

DeanoBeanCounter
08-20-2007, 03:44 AM
Thanks versifier.

dromia
08-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Eds Red is a modern variation on the arsenal cleaner in Hatchers notebook, basically the Sperm Whale oil is replaced by ATF (which replaced Sperm Whale oil in automatic transmissions).

It consists of equal parts by volume of ATF, Parafin, White Spirit and Acetone optional lanolin can be added for a more lubricating cleaner you don't need much in a gallon and it doesn't make it clean any better.

I mix it up by the gallon.

A 50/50 mix of Parafin and ATF also makes a good light gun oil.

Cynical
08-24-2007, 11:31 PM
Thanks Dromia. I'll try it.

Al

GP100man
09-15-2007, 04:21 AM
i know im behind time .
i used 1 part kerosene,atf,acetone,mineral spirits, for copper coated stuff i use windex with ammonia followed by my eds red .

GP100man

:cool:

Artful
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
I have been trying Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil - seems to lube very well.

here's an interesting read about cleaning

http://www.frfrogspad.com/cleaners.htm

Cynical
09-27-2007, 02:33 AM
i know im behind time .
i used 1 part kerosene,atf,acetone,mineral spirits, for copper coated stuff i use windex with ammonia followed by my eds red .

GP100man

:cool:

This parts list sure seems easier to obtain.
thanks.

Al