PDA

View Full Version : gas checks

masanobu
07-09-2007, 10:15 PM
Has anyone tried to make gas checks from aluminum cans?

kodiak1
07-10-2007, 01:04 AM
You need to do a search and go back a few months there was one of the bullet lube makers on this sight that had a device to put in your press and make gas checks. Each cal a different die for the machine. Think it was the fella that makes the LBT lube if my memory serves me correct.
Ken.

versifier
07-10-2007, 02:37 PM
There have been periodic discussions about it over on the CB board, as well as other alternatives. The main difficulty with using beverage cans is that the sheet is too thin - you need a larger diameter shank on the boolit than those designed for conventional checks. Aluminum or copper flashing seems like it would be a workable alternative. There have been a number of different products on the market over the years but none have caught on, pictures of them have been posted next door, too. Maybe now with the prices going through the roof there will be a new effort.

Best deal on gas checks currently is the Gator Check Group Buys, and they're in the process of putting one together now.

masanobu
07-11-2007, 07:49 PM
Maybe I will try to make them so I could stack them and double the thickness.I use the wax gas checks now on plain base bullets and hornady on gas check design. I am shooting them in a 500sw.

gunman194657
07-12-2007, 06:51 PM
try using styrofoam, it works great. cut them out of a meat tray with a flared piece of brass, dump powder, put check over it & seat the bollit, no leading easy clean up,works great in my 45 blackhawk & 44 mag super.

masanobu
07-12-2007, 11:19 PM
I will give them a try. I was going to try and use teflon tape but had trouble sizing bullets and not tearing the tape