PDA

View Full Version : Oil the barrell???

Sigma 40 Blaster
06-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Guys,

This may sound like a really silly question, I shoot smaller caliber pistols (.40 to .380) and my local gunsmith had to work on one and he told me to never, under any circumstances oil the barrel of any of my pistols...

After cleaning my guns I'll put a small amount of Hoppe's #9 on a patch, run up and down the barrel, and run a clean patch through to remove any excess...

Is this guy crazy or correct?

kg42
06-14-2007, 12:34 AM
It sounds a bit excessive, albeit I wouldn't shoot a gun with a greasy chamber.
It would make sense if you lived in a very dusty area though. He might have been upset by customers who used guns with their barrels still dripping oil.

I must have a small amount of oil left in every clean gun I shoot, after wiping the bore and chambers with a tight fitting cloth (and I'm not talking about bullet lubes...).
It's a fact that steel absorbs oil and will restitute some when heated, and an other one that you've got to protect that steel from rust...

versifier
06-14-2007, 04:10 AM
It's one thing to oil before storage, but then you do want to run a patch through before firing. More important is to remove it all from the chamber prior to use, that can really cause some problems. Depending upon where you live and what kind of steel the barrel is made, some protectant must be left in, even if it's just a very light coat. Really dry or dusty climate, or stainless steel doesn't call for a lot of oil while a damp and humid climate and non stainless might want a little. It sounds to me like your local gunsmith has had to deal with excessive use more than once. Never lube a carry gun with WD40 or other penetrating oil, it will migrate in and kill the primers.