PDA

View Full Version : 240g "Laser Cast" good for yote/couger ?

444Hal
05-27-2007, 06:38 PM
I’m presently working up some cast plinking loads for the Marlin 1894 44mag using 240 “Laser Cast”. Looks like I'll probably go with W231 somewhere between 9 to 11 grains. Should put me around 1200 - 1300 fps. Got wondering if it could do double duty as yote/couger defense ?

Just in case. :shock:

Baldy
05-28-2007, 06:17 AM
I am going to be working on a 240gr load for a S&W M29 for hog hunting. I would say it would work just fine for Cougar and Yotes. You got enough FPS there at 1,200 and with a 240gr chunk of lead that would knock the fire out of them.

Best,Baldy.

lovedogs
05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
It's doubtful you'll ever need to defend yourself against either a coyote or a cougar as both are pretty scared of people. If you do shoot either of them with a bullet like you're talking about you'll find that they don't expand well and you'll have to hit them right to get a quick kill. They will die alright, just not really quickly. Light 180 gr. 44 cal. jacketed bullets expand rapidly and are awesome. But anything very heavy doesn't expand as quickly and are not USUALLY fast killers on game this soft. Head and spine shots with the bullet you mention will work quickly though.

versifier
06-01-2007, 02:57 PM
As long as it has a good meplat, and you make a good shot, it should do the job. But, as mentioned, the lighter boolit will perform better terminally, and also it will have both a flatter trajectory (increasing the effective range) and lighter recoil (giving you greater control and encouraging lots of practice). For me, the primary consideration with a commercially cast boolit would be accuracy - do they come sized to fit and work properly in the throats/barrel of your revolver? You can have a theoretically perfect design that patterns like a shotgun and leads up your barrel if it's not big enough. One of the reasons I prefer to cast my own is that I can control the size, lube, and alloy for optimum results, whereas with many commercially cast offerings it's a crapshoot.

BIG BEAR
02-06-2008, 04:58 AM
:coffee:
I’m presently working up some cast plinking loads for the Marlin 1894 44mag using 240 “Laser Cast”. Looks like I'll probably go with W231 somewhere between 9 to 11 grains. Should put me around 1200 - 1300 fps. Got wondering if it could do double duty as yote/couger defense ?

Just in case. :shock: Just caught your questions on "song dogs" and "Cats". Here on central vancouver island " COUGAR CAPITAL OF THE WORLD' (According to national geographic., We run cougar with dogs.Had an EMU farm decimated by a cougar 2 summers agoabout 2 miles from my home. Cougar sightings common in town (NANAIMO). Know 2 pepole personally who have been attacked.. one was a logger and the other a RETIRED fellow ,up island in front of the CITY HALL in PORT ALICE(northern vancouver island.) If a couger wants you, you will NOT hear him coming. If you try hunting them WITHOUT dogs, you have more chance of winning the POWERBALL LOTTERY(if you are state side or the6/49 if you are in canada). if a coyote comes at you, he most likely has rabies.Cougars are NOT afraid of people, most just do not consider us as prey, especially when deer are as numerousas they are here on the island. Most attacks on the island on small children have been by healthy cats, adult attacks almost always by sick /injured animals.if you ARE stateside and can carry a hand gun, i would make it a .22/.22magnum or a mild recoiling double action revolver say .38 cal with 125 gr. JHPs. of course ,here in canada, we would NEVER,(HONEST) :twisted:!!!:mrgreen:lcarry a hand gun in the bush, because we are not allowed.(i have it on good info ,that some do). cougar are not hard to kill and the light revolver will be easy to handle, once you get over the initial shok and surprise of the CAT on your back!!! GOOD LUCK. BIG BEAR. p.s. cougar is very mild and good eating.

DaveyG
06-24-2008, 05:04 PM
Just thinking out load here, and no offense intended, but isn't W231 a bit too fast burning and approaching higher pressures for the longer rifle barrel? I shoot 9g of W231 in my .44 SBH sometimes, but not in the 1894.

Wouldn't Bluedot or some similar burn rate powder work better for a midrange rifle load? I have a load that works well in both my SBH and my 1894 - 13g Bluedot under a hardcast BTB 265g WFN gives me 1100 fps from the 4.63" Ruger and around 1350 fps from the Marlin with very mild pressure and recoil in both.

Hot hunting load (large hog) for my 1894 is 24g of H110 under the same bullet, Fed brass, Winchester LP primer, for approx 1750 FPS...like a knife through butter! The Ruger always comes with me in the field stoked with the Bluedot load.

TDC
06-07-2009, 04:41 AM
:coffee: Just caught your questions on "song dogs" and "Cats". Here on central vancouver island " COUGAR CAPITAL OF THE WORLD' (According to national geographic., We run cougar with dogs.Had an EMU farm decimated by a cougar 2 summers agoabout 2 miles from my home. Cougar sightings common in town (NANAIMO). Know 2 pepole personally who have been attacked.. one was a logger and the other a RETIRED fellow ,up island in front of the CITY HALL in PORT ALICE(northern vancouver island.) If a couger wants you, you will NOT hear him coming. If you try hunting them WITHOUT dogs, you have more chance of winning the POWERBALL LOTTERY(if you are state side or the6/49 if you are in canada). if a coyote comes at you, he most likely has rabies.Cougars are NOT afraid of people, most just do not consider us as prey, especially when deer are as numerousas they are here on the island. Most attacks on the island on small children have been by healthy cats, adult attacks almost always by sick /injured animals.if you ARE stateside and can carry a hand gun, i would make it a .22/.22magnum or a mild recoiling double action revolver say .38 cal with 125 gr. JHPs. of course ,here in canada, we would NEVER,(HONEST) :twisted:!!!:mrgreen:lcarry a hand gun in the bush, because we are not allowed.(i have it on good info ,that some do). cougar are not hard to kill and the light revolver will be easy to handle, once you get over the initial shok and surprise of the CAT on your back!!! GOOD LUCK. BIG BEAR. p.s. cougar is very mild and good eating.

Good advice from Big Bear..... Anyone who has actually hunted Cougars knows they are one of the easiest animals to kill with just about any reasonable caliber firearm. Both Cougars and coyotes very thin skinned and light boned so have at them.

It has often been said that if Cougars and Black Bear weren't so meek and shy, and would actually confront and challenge the people who hunt them there would be a lot fewer hunters in the woods each fall. Both animals, and especially the Black Bear, are perfectly capable of killing a person in seconds if they only realized how vulnerable and inept we are to their stealth, power and speed. A mature Black Bear is commonly much, MUCH more difficult to kill than the other two.

I hunt them both and have much more respect for what they are capable of than the reality of what they will likely do.

TDC

Stubert
08-11-2010, 06:38 PM
I loaded a bunch of them for a 44 mag. handgun, but was never happy with the accuracy, maybey the bevel base? I melted them down and mixed them with pure lead to soften them up. They were about 25 bhn. I got them down to 13-15 now. I am trying the Lyman devastator this year.

Danielodory
09-11-2018, 09:42 PM
I got five more tonight out of five that I shot at Good times for sure I cant believe how accurate that rifle is

Goose smasher

KamEnhare
08-08-2019, 06:54 PM
OO buck does not do a good job for coyote. One of the best buck shot shells for coyote is 4 buck in the 3" version, lots of pellets. Typically you can use a tighter choke than your deer/hog OO buck loads.
Time to do some home work on the patterning board