PDA

View Full Version : At the range

Mike in tx
06-20-2014, 11:26 AM
I promised myself to shoot every 2 weeks. Well, it went to 3 weeks this last time but it was worth it. I got the 450 M sighted in, the 25-06 is right on, the 357 rifle is ready for the woodchucks in northern New England in July and the revolver is on target. The 22 mag is fussy about ammo but I think that it is good to go with 33 grain CCI. It was a great day and met some of the nicest people at the range. (Aren't most shooters good people) No RO to worry about and get in the way. I will be in NH and VT soon.

Ajax
06-20-2014, 11:29 AM
That's awesome and one of the reasons I can't wait to mover back home. Having a gun you can be confident in makes a world of difference. Nothing worse than shooting and not knowing what happened.

Andy

versifier
06-24-2014, 12:46 AM
Do stop in this time. You will pass within 100yds of my house in Gorham on your way to the Noth Woods.

Mike in tx
06-24-2014, 09:10 AM
I am going to be with Clayt so hopefully we can make it up.

versifier
07-16-2014, 07:35 PM
Wonderful lunch with Mike and then show&tell in Gorham today. Sent him off with a good selection of 6.5 and .30 cast bullets he hasn't tried yet. Maybe even got him thinking seriously about finding his very own K31, too. Still working on getting him warming towards the .30/223. He can shoot both next trip Noth, should have the .30/223 Sav bolt action rebarreled by then.

Mike in tx
07-17-2014, 10:35 AM
It was great to meet and have lunch with you. I am thinking about the K31 but the Ruger .416 is on the list. The only reason for the .416 is to let Paul (a friend that encourages me to buy guns) shoot it hopefully thinking that it is .22 LOL He and I hae a lot of fun with practical jokes. Thank you for the cast boolits. They will get used. Hopefully I will get to shoot your 30/223. It looks interesting and if I had the time I would build up a rifle for it. OH I forgot I am suppose to retire next June.
Again, it was great to meet with you, for you are a fountain of knowledge.

Mike in tx
07-30-2014, 05:24 PM
Another time at the range on Tuesday. It was hot so I only shot for 3 hours. The 45-70 grouped very good but the scope must have been bumped. It is now on. the 450 shot low, low, low. It was on the last time so it is time to check the scope. Too hot to do it at the range. I also took the model 62 SA2 Rossi. I have finally figured out that the gun likes Federal. No CCI, Winchester or Armscor. I will try other brands later as the heat got hotter. The Rossi with open sights did group 3 MOA. 67 year old eyes not what they were.

Clayt
07-31-2014, 06:16 PM
I wouldn't have lasted 3hours if YOU say it was hot! How much of a difference in point of impact from a hot summer day to a mild winter day in Texas?

Mike in tx
07-31-2014, 07:16 PM
Clayton
The barrels were hot quickly. I am sure that had some impact in POI. The scopes and mounts were very warm. When I got home I checked with the bore sighter and the scopes were not off that much. Probably the heat. Going with a friend Tuesday and I will be taking the bore sighter with me. As for the 416, I have been thinking perhaps the 375 Ruger makes better sense. More bullets weights available, less problems. Besides I have 2 45-70's and a 450.

Mike in tx
08-06-2014, 12:58 AM
I went to the range this morning and it was a better day though it was in the 90"s. The model 94 in 32 WCF (Special) shot as good as I could see with my aging eyes. Peep sight worked and I got the height of the front sight correct first time. 2-3 MOA from the bench and 2 MOA off hand. Good times are coming back. Shot the muzzle loader, a cheap 50 cal percussion and it shot better than it should have with round balls. Nothing to write home about but it was MOD(deer). My friend Paul had problems with his new Savage 308. It took about 30 minutes and we had it in the diamond. It will do better but he was discouraged. He is a new shooter and was making newbie mistakes, like the ones we all made. We will be going to the range in 2 weeks with my just ordered Lead Sled. This should be a hoot, showing us how poorly we shoot and how good the gun can shoot. V, I will be going out with the cast you gave me the next time. Paul and I are going to spend one day casting and reloading before shooting.
Clayton, we were out for 4 full hours of shooting.

Clayt
08-07-2014, 01:15 AM
You shot a ML......I just fell out of my chair!

Welcome to reloading without brass!

Mike in tx
08-20-2014, 01:14 AM
Went to the range today. Took the H&R 270 with a new Redfield Revolution scope. Decent scope. Good rifle. Once sighted in I had one 5 shot group under 0.5 and the second 0.5 inches at 50 yards. Not bad for a cheap single shot. Again a hot day and today a bad back. I did, though, spend 4.5 hours with Paul teaching him to reload. He got the basics but I told him about the other great things that can be done. He used the Lead Sled and liked it. It is the Solo model but it works.