PDA

View Full Version : Howa 1500

fireform
03-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Just bought Howa 1500 in .204 Ruger. I'm impressed with the fit & finish of metal parts. Stock is plastic, but I understand McMillan makes a nice model with the Howa inlet if it's a keeper. Heading to the bench now, I'll let ya know how she shoots.

versifier
03-30-2007, 06:38 PM
They sure do look well made and they have an excellent reputation, but I have never had the chance to shoot one. Let us know how it does.

BadWaterBill
04-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Check Boyds Gunstocks . They have a walnut stock on sale for the Howa for $25.00 . Great value. I know because I bought one. Very little work needed to finish it. :-D :-D BWB

lovedogs
04-13-2007, 01:49 AM
I'd be really surprised if your Howie doesn't shoot well. I've seen a bunch of them shot and all were good. I have a .223 and it's absolutely amazing. Their lock time is a bit slow but if you hold well it's okay. You probably will want to install a Timney trigger as the Howa won't adjust as low as needed to really shoot well. Midway sells them for a reasonable price and they are easily installed.

fireform
05-06-2007, 12:27 AM
Well, it's been about a month and the Howa has digested around 800rds of my own. Been feeding her several flavors, most utilizing Sierra's 32g Varmint and Berger's 35g. I am VERY happy with the rifle. It's not perfect but it shoots like a LASER up to 200yds after that the wind will really start to drag that little bullet around. Over 300yds and it has just spent too much of it's energy, by 450 you could probably catch it. But that's the nature of the .204 Ruger.
The Rifle is superbly accurate. 0.5" groups are standard, several (dozens) @ 0.2". I am pleased. One of my favorite shooting games with my friends is "Sniper Golf". I only have one other rifle that you can play with paint balls. That's fun.
The trigger, as most of you already seem to know, is adjustable but if you go too low (2lbs or so) the safety ceases to function, it will not engage. However, I was unable to cause an accidental discharge with rather vigorous "drop" tests (empty chamber, striking butt on bench, tapping on rear of bolt shroud with rubber mallet). During benchrest duty this is not a problem, I don't close the bolt until I'm ready to fire, then I open it again. But before more serious duty a Canjar is in order.

Verdict: I highly recomend the Howa 1500 to anyone seeking a very fine shooter at an affordable price. I paid $435 before tax (and dies, and 20cal cleaning rod, and bullets, and powder, and brass, and primers, etc...)

lovedogs
05-20-2007, 03:47 PM
A Timney from Midway will make your Howie sing a sweet tune and they're good triggers that are more economical than a Canjar.