PDA

View Full Version : guide for weights

campbaker
03-06-2007, 01:39 PM
i need some information:

hello all, i am a newbee to reloading. i need some help. can someone please
tell me where to find a conversion weight chart.

I NEED TO FIND A CHART THAT SHOWS THE FOLLOWING

CONVERTING POUNDS TO COMMON WEIGHTS USED BY RELOADERS.

TO BE ABLE TO FIGURE THE COST OF A LOAD. I AM A BAKER & USE WEIGHTS CONSTANTLY. SO I NEED TO FIND THIS INFORMATION, IT SEEMS THAT ALL THE INFORMATION SHOULD BE EASY TO FIND, YET I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO
FIND THIS.

I AM SURE THAT SOME ARE LAUGHING AT THIS REQUEST, I HAVE REALLY TRIED,
AND I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY.

THANK YOU

kg42
03-06-2007, 09:06 PM
I started laughing then I realized you said baker and not banker... I've done that kind of stuff to compare surplus powders and regular ones and it's easier, safer and more rewarding to make your own :); but I think they are online calculators.

yep...: http://www.beartoothbullets.com/rescources/index.htm

now they need a shpell saker ;)

anyway, my way goes:
454 grams in a pound
15.43 grains in a gram (.0648 grams in a grain ?)
very few common weights as you've got to know calibers, bullet weights, level of loads and what your guns like.

So, I don't have a calculator here but it should look like:

(price per pound)/(454x15.43)=price per grain....multiply by your load in grains for the price per load.

(454x15.43)/(your load)=loads per pound

I'll try to find tables in my bookmarks.

kg

PS: just to be sure, a grain is a weight measure and not the actual flake/ball/tube.

Did I make sense?

versifier
03-07-2007, 12:42 AM
You know, I really had to chuckle. I read this first post this morning and thought, "I've got a file with just about every conversion factor known to man. It'll take me just a second to look it up and post the conversions for grains." So, I opened the file and looked....and looked...and looked. It wasn't there. Anywhere. Six pages worth of tables and no grains. Hmmm. I was sure I had it somewhere as my first scale was in grams. I finally found it a few minutes ago....written in marker on the edge of the scale shelf on my loading bench. Yup, .0648. It's a good thing someone around here keeps better track of data than I do. :)

d-o-k
03-07-2007, 01:08 AM
CB welcome to the site ! The information you have requested is I'm sure (A) classified top secret by certain Gov agencys or (B) held in the vaults of the vadican !

Converstion Factors Equivalent weights

Pounds x7000= grains 7000 grains = 1 pound
ounces x 437.5=grains 437.5 Grains = 1ounce
grams x 0.00229=ounces 15.43 Grains = 1 Gram
grams x 15.432 = grains 453.6 Grams = 1 Pound
grains x 0.0648 = grams

Hope this helps ! :coffee: My head now hurts

Dave

kg42
03-07-2007, 02:38 AM
You've got a few here: http://www.lasc.us/ConversionTables.htm

Actually, if you divide "Powder" by 10 and multiply "Loads" by 10 you've got pistol loads covered from .5 grs to 10 grs in .5 grs increments.
example:
55grs =127 loads
5.5grs= 1270 loads

And you can replace my (454x15.43) by 7000, a number i wasn't sure of since I was raised metric.

kg

Ross
03-07-2007, 06:02 AM
All of the above, of course-
With 7000 grains of powder in a pound can, you can load 2,592 .38 target loads of 2.7gr Bullseye. That is 7,000 divided by 2.7 = 2,592.5928.
70 grains will get you a hundred shots and my .45-120 only gets me 58 shots per can.
Hogdon website has a loads per pound chart.
Cheers from Darkest California,
Ross

d-o-k
03-07-2007, 07:02 AM
You've got a few here: http://www.lasc.us/ConversionTables.htm

Actually, if you divide "Powder" by 10 and multiply "Loads" by 10 you've got pistol loads covered from .5 grs to 10 grs in .5 grs increments.
example:
55grs =127 loads
5.5grs= 1270 loads

And you can replace my (454x15.43) by 7000, a number i wasn't sure of since I was raised metric.

kg

JEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ Now my head really hurts ! :mrgreen:

Dave

kg42
03-08-2007, 03:30 AM
Now it came back to me that our Australian members use the metric pound, pondered by the ratio of local temperature in fahrenheit minus 32 divided by 1.8 centigrade ;
So for them only:

Multiply 7000 by the age of the captain,
Divide by the year of production of the gun (last two digits only),
Then cut 1% for every 10% of the relative quickness rate of your powder.

It is then a simple matter to multiply by the temp ratio and divide by the load's weight, then by 0.5 as you need money for the ...... ahem.....gas....

Hope that really, really helps.

kg

d-o-k
03-08-2007, 04:28 AM
AH !!! KG ! You forgot to add that We Aussies also have to study the entrials of a freshly killed Chook (chicken ) ! Converstion from Metric in to Drams involves a full moon! Naked ,painted in Pigs Blood & covered with Chicken feathers ! Very tecnical [smilie=w:

Dave (reaching for more asprin )

Ross
03-08-2007, 04:48 AM
I really must try to get down under. There is so much to learn from that invert perspective.
One thing worries me though; I always heard that travel broadens one and I am too fat already.
Cheers from the outskirts of Timbucktoo,
Ross

kg42
03-08-2007, 10:26 PM
Dave, the local "Used and Junk" store had a few cartoon books from an Australian author, depicting life in the Outback as Giles did in Britain about the local burbs. I couldn't help thinking about you and your spirit.

One of the captions featured a farmer with a black eye who made the mistake to be right in an argument with his wife....

An other was about two guys on a mountain road transporting loooong logs on a cart and says: "At least now we know what "cul-de-sac" means....." :)

The books also had a few serious chapters about The Fence, the Natives, bounty hunters, etc... I don't remember the author, of course....didn't think he might be on line...

kg42
03-09-2007, 09:29 AM
Here is a more complete table: http://www.darkcanyon.net/loadsperpound.html

robertbank
03-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Raised in metric eh. My two sons wouldn't know a yard from a train station! Asked the youngest how long a foot was and he stretched his arms out across is chest and said, "Is this close"

Now me, I am a tweener. Think in C for temperature but think in miles, buy meat by the kilo but buy a pound of butter, buy gas by the litre but get 40 miles to the gallon and after spending 10 years in Eastern Canada now tell folks a town is 20 minutes away when asked how far the nearest town is.

Go Figure.

Just great, now we all know there are 7000 gr to a lb. so why do some companies sell powder in 12 oz containers?

Take Care

Bob

d-o-k
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
[I]'m in the same boat as you Bob ! Man I can confuse myself ! I buy fuel by the litre & find myself converting it into gallons still ! I go to by a Tin of Powder & I still ask for a 1 pound tin (now 500gms)

Dave

kg42
03-10-2007, 01:20 AM
It's funny to see that the "kids" are taught metric at school but only know avoirdupois and miles.... shows you where their minds are not :)

So, for Dave: 12 x 28.35 grams x 15.43 / (your load x .75) = nr of loads per pound if you buy hi-end powder in 12 oz cans :mrgreen:.

As they are 9, 12 and 14 ounces cans around, does anybody need to know how to find the loads/cost per can and compare them to pounds? (roughly, they are 9/16, 12/16 and 14/16 the deal they would be if they were pounds).

birdhunters
03-11-2007, 02:50 AM
Campbaker: put down the calculator and forget figguring out the cost per round, box, case ect. You'll only be dis-appointed in the results. Normaly a fellow can't reload ammo for less than factory cost. However we can enjoy making ourown custom loads to find the sweet spot for each of our guns. The factory boys can't do that. Nor can the enjoy hearing the clang of the steel when one of our bullets knocks over a chicken,pig, turkey or ram

jeh7mmmag
04-07-2007, 04:18 AM
Handies little progam here

http://joshmadison.com/software/convert/

James

versifier
04-07-2007, 02:36 PM
Welcome to our two new members.
birdhunters,
With twenty rounds of premium rifle ammo now selling for $25-$50 and more, I can certainly reload for a lot less cost, even buying the very best bullets available. Although, with something like 9mm's or .38spec's and sale prices, you have a valid point. I cast for most of the chamberings I use, too, and that saves even more.
jeh,
Interesting find, and very handy.