PDA

View Full Version : Sig Mosquito .22

Gunload Master
02-14-2007, 04:44 AM
I bought a sig Mosquito three days ago and I am about 50 / 50 on what I think about it right now...

I bought a brick of federal ammo 36 grain and fired off about 300 rounds through it. At least 125 of them jammed up or misfired in some way. I thought it was a defective pistol.. Who wouldn't?!

So I did some searching and found out that SIG recommends firing CCI Mini Mag ammo through it. So I went and bought a 100 round plastic container of CCI's and a 525 round brick of Remington Golden Bullets.. I fired all the CCI's through the pistol without one single jam or misfire. I fired about 200 Golden Bullet's through with about 10 or so misfires...

So basically this post is here to help people question the Mosquito a bit, apparently there's a bit of controversy over this gun.. I love the feel and overall look of it, but I don't like having to spend almost $6.00 for 100 .22LR bullets because that's all it shoots!

Anyone out there have any experience with this gun?

kg42
02-14-2007, 07:20 PM
Last time I used 22LR in my own gun was 10 years ago in a Single Six; I had Mexican and Remington ammo.
I mostly remember that the Rem fodder had a couple of duds in every box of 50 . I would try to fire them all around the rim without success... That must be why you've got an extra 25 rounds in your brick....

For the feeding, it's pretty sour to me, as I think the gun was designed from scratch...
It's funny that kind of story keeps coming up with Sig products; the SSG sniper comes with recommendation to shoot only top quality ammo, and can be frankly inaccurate with surplus fodder... So you've got to pay extra and travel with your own ammo if you want to enjoy the guns...

I'm a bit tired with that high-end thing with Sig; after all, like Glocks, most of their handguns are made of cast/stamped/folded parts for low prodution costs...

kg

versifier
02-14-2007, 08:01 PM
I have a good friend who buys used 10/22's and puts new stocks, barrels, triggers, mag releases, etc. and resells them. Many of the various tight-chambered match barrels he buys and installs are very picky about what they will feed. I suspect the Sig is the same way. Any ammo with an "excess" of the clear lube they all seem to use won't feed reliably, but we just use his "rejects" for our Hunter Ed range days. He stocks up on lots of different brands to find the rifles' individual preferences to pass along the info to the buyers.
How accurate is the Mosquito with the MiniMags?
Will it feed other CCI ammo like Green Tag? Other premium ammo like Eley?
Another good friend used CCI ammo in his two match rifles and he bought it by the case to get a good price on it, and to guarantee plenty of the same lot. Maybe a GB?

Gunload Master
02-15-2007, 03:04 PM
It's fairly accurate with CCI minimags, next time I go to the range I will bring back a target and post it.
So far i've just used:
CCI Mini Mags
Remington Golden Bullets
Federal Champion
I think my next bullets are going to be the CCI Green Tags and see how well they shoot..
I wouldnt mind a GB for some CCI mini mags.. I would love to shoot them if I could get a decent price.

Canuck44
02-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Guys up here who have reported on them generally give the pistol a thumbs down.

Pros:

It is a sSig
It looks good

Cons.

Problems with failure to feed
Functioning
Accuracy
Quality of Workmanship
Expensive compared to comparable .22LR pistols

I decided to pass with no regrets from the posts I have read from guys that have owned them (Usually in the past tense).

Take Care

Bob

robertbank
11-04-2007, 10:45 PM
Just bought a Conversion kit for my Tanfoglio and ran into the same problems as you describe. Failures to feed, fire, jams etc with Winchester bulk and to a lessor extent with Remington HIgh Velocity. Will try the mini mags to see iif they work.

I can't believe how many duds there are in the Winchester bulk ammo.

I want to use this kit for practice and for .22lr idpa competitions but until I solve the reliability issue it ain't going to happen.

Take Care

Bob

testhop
11-08-2007, 03:18 PM
a few years ago i bought 2 cases of winchester wildcats (at $7.70 a brick )and shot it in both rifles and 22pistols worked perfict
was out the range and a freind was useing his colagraft to check his match rifle useing very costly ammo so he wanted to try the wildcats he ran them and a big surppise his had a sprade of 12 fps the wildcats had 8 he said he was going to wildcats to bad the sale was over

robertbank
11-22-2007, 02:53 PM
Just an update. I tried Remington high velocity HP bullets and while they all fired don't always have enough power to prevent jamming or failure to extract, From the recoil, and this is purely subjective on my part, I think part of the problem is such a widespread variance in power from one cartridge to another.

I now have the following to test:

Winchester Wildcats
Federal Gameshok
CCI STingers (man are they expensive)!
Remington Thunderbolt

Even in my rifle I find Winchester bulk ammo to have a dud every hundred rounds or so. Cheap is cheap I guess. YOu would think I owuld have learned that by now!

Will get back with a report on how the above cartridges perform.

As an aside a friend of mine bought the CZ .22lr kit and it is interesting in that CZ kind of cut the slide in half and only the bottom portion moves. This should require less energy to provide for easier cycling of the gun.

Take Care

Bob

j1
03-25-2014, 12:27 PM
Cheap ammo contains lots of "piffers". So called cause they don't go bang they go piff. Underpowered as all heck. I never shoot my 10 22 so fast that I could put a second round down the barrel if the previous round did not exit. This always occurs with the bigbox ammo. It is usually the cheapest junk out there. I use it but more carefully. Never functions well in my Phoenix pistol. Stopped trying it there.

Wildcats and Stingers were A O K in everything.

elkhunter77
03-25-2014, 01:07 PM
I have had several of the Mosquitos over the years and still have one. It shoots the CCI and the Winchester Power Point flawlessly but everything else in the world it hates. Sig even put a letter i the box saying that CCI or forget it lol It is a nice and fairly accurate pistol but certainly not my first choice. I don't understand why Sig knows of the problem and does not endeavor to fix it. Mark

SkyKid
03-25-2014, 11:23 PM
May be the only way to fix the problem would be to cheapen the firearm

j1
03-27-2014, 02:04 PM
Now everything I have ever heard about Sigs is that they were great guns. Something sounds funny here.

versifier
03-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Sigg makes some fine centerfire pistols, accurate, reliable, rugged. nobody ever said anything about them doing magic with rimfires. Still, if you feed it what it likes best it performs well within specs and generally quite accurately, too. Most military rifles and pistols are each designed around one specific load, but American consumers don't get their minds around the concept easily, especially when the gun shoots rimfires. Most cheap .22rf pistols and revolvers will feed most of what you stuff into them, but it often takes a lot of trial and error to find what (if anything) will shoot accurately. At least Sigg tells you right upfront what will work and what won't. Sure, they could have made the chamber a bit oversized so it would feed anything, but then you wouldn't be able to consistently get decent groups @100yds with one.

elkhunter77
03-27-2014, 10:31 PM
That was a lot easier to accept when the shelves were loaded with 22 ammo. Now you take what you get lol

Clayt
06-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Sig Mosquito .22 is a POS, DO NOT BUY!!
FYI- it's not made by Sig, they subcontracted it to a German air gun company who stamps "Sig" on it.
Even if it functioned 100% with the required CCIs (and it won't) is still a POS. The double action trigger pull is horrible and there are too many dicast parts in it to bother smoothing out.
They recommend OILING YOUR AMMO to get it to work properly.
I hate the @%^$# thing!
DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!