PDA

View Full Version : Maintenance

DeanoBeanCounter
02-02-2007, 02:21 AM
What do you do to maintain your press and dies. Right now all I have is a Lee hand held press but I'm going to upgrade. :confused:

versifier
02-02-2007, 02:31 AM
Everyone seems to have a personal favorite for lubing the press ram. I used case lube until I switched to water based lube, then I started using Tri-Flow spray. It's much cleaner (doesn't pick up dust and dirt) and lasts longer. I use a light gun oil on my dies when I remember. Some use paste wax on the outsides of their dies.

Baldy
02-02-2007, 09:41 PM
A little tash of Gun Butter keeps everything running smooth. Really any light weight oil would do the job.

lovedogs
02-04-2007, 02:34 AM
Depends on where you live, how much humidity is in your house, etc. Where I live it's so dry I really don't get too concerned about rust. Any kind of oil will work. As for the ram on my press... I keep it moving so it never rusts, ha-ha. But I do lube it once in a while with some oil.

lovedogs
02-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Wish I'd not read this post. My conscience got to bothering me because it's been a while since I cleaned up my selection of reloading dies. So I got them out and started cleaning. Didn't have any rust or other problems but it sure took a long time. I found out that I'm feeding 18 different caliber guns. No wonder I'm so poor. Have you ever wondered how much money you'd have if you hadn't invested so much in guns? It's scary!

versifier
02-13-2007, 04:17 PM
Guns and reloading are a lot cheaper than smoking, drinking, and chasing women, (and MUCH cheaper than keeping teenage daughters happy!) Plus, you have something more to show for your efforts than a hangover or other things I'd rather not mention. :-D