PDA

View Full Version : 243 lite loads

Newtire
01-21-2007, 06:21 PM
I was just wondering if anyone out there has used Alliant 2400 for reduced loads with jacketted bullets. I was putting together some 14 gr. loads with a 100 gr. cast & thought I would throw a few 70 gr. Blitz-Kings together using the same charge. I couldn't see why not but maybe there's something I'm missing?

versifier
01-22-2007, 12:47 AM
One potential pitfall of reduced loads with jacketed bullets is poor bullet obturation at lower pressure levels. (It doesn't expand to fill the barrel's grooves.) While it is usually no problem with an oversized softer lead boolit, blowback is possible if the neck of the case doesn't expand and seal properly. Depending upon the action, it may not be a big deal. (Don't try it with an Arisaka!) The other consideration is that you may not be moving the bullet fast enough for it to expand in game, and act like a FMJ, wounding instead of killing cleanly. It might be an interesting experiment at the range though, and there's no reason not to give it a try if you are aware and careful.

Newtire
01-27-2007, 02:58 PM
It might be an interesting experiment at the range though, and there's no reason not to give it a try if you are aware and careful.

Took me awhile to get back here as this is not on the Cast Boolits regular menu it seems and here I am only a "rookie" again.

Anyhow, thanks for the advice Versifier. I actually had planned on using these loads just for paper punching although if a ground squirrel should cross our paths, the 70 gr. Sierra Blitz should still be able to do the trick.

I get the sooty necks sometimes with cast loads and that's a real consideration. I guess I'll go down, load a few up & take em up to the range tomorrow to test them out.

Plan on getting a cast RCBS mould some day but have a big box of these Blitz bullets left.