PDA

View Full Version : Single-shot blues

lovedogs
12-31-2006, 03:39 AM
The coyote hunting had been a little slow due to too much good weather so just to carry a more portable arm I took my Contender .44. Big mistake! I've used various Contender barrels to take called coyotes and I love my single-shot guns. But it was a big mistake this day. I called in a pack of six (yes, 6) coyotes. Getting one out of six really made me feel like a fool. Much as I love the single-shots I won't be carrying them on coyote hunts anymore. Well, not often. I still like putting those big ol' .45-70 chunks through 'em with my buffalo rifle so it may get taken along once in a while. By the way, Prairie Ghost camo really works in the sage brush. Three of those dogs ran by me at only 30 yds. and never noticed me. The one I shot came within 20 yds. Good camo!

Bullshop Junior
01-01-2007, 02:51 AM
It is possible. My dad was a master coyote hunter, and he always carried a Browning B-78 in 6mm Remingon, and the back up one was a 22/250. He had the same thing happen, and he got FIVE of them. Yes sir, Five of them. What he did is when he first saw them coming from half a mile away, he got out his ammo wallet, and opened it and set it down beside him. When the big female came over the top he was ready, and the first shot sent one to the ground, and the rest running, and four more of them hit the ground before the last one disapeared, and dad was hunting just out side of Darby montana, at the bottom of the mountains, and it is hilly country. So do not think that the single shot is not a a good gun for the job. It is, You just have to use it right.
Daniel/Bs Jr.

shooter44
01-01-2007, 04:23 AM
Heck around here we don't have to call em, they killin our deer and turkeys
we shoot em on sight, day or night....
DNR pulled a dumb ass move 4 yrs ago and let 30 loose with tracking collars. until they did that we may have seen one every other month, now they like cats.... EVERY where. even came in my back yard and tried to jump my bluetick. Big mistake, my bluetick and my 105lb boxer bull dog are best buddies and they made hash out yote butts. what butt they didn't chomp on , I capped with a 44 !!

kg42
01-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Yes sir, Five of them......You just have to use it right..

I'm sure lovedogs feels much better now :mrgreen:.

I find the action a bit rough on the Contender; it doesn't really encourage speed of reloading and tends to stick to its empties, doesn't it?................... Dang!!! I did it too ...:oops:.... [smilie=s:!

kg

versifier
01-01-2007, 06:38 PM
I would consider it a major triumph to take even one of them with a handgun.
If you want to get a little more speed out of the Contender, make sure the one you're going to use is chambered for a rimmed cartridge, and practice the actual reloading operation a lot. (Like sit watching TV with two dummy rounds and dry fire at what's on the screen, then reload and try for a second shot). Rimless cases do recharge slower. I can get a second shot off with my .357bbl twice as fast as I can with the .30 carb. Recoil also effects how fast you can follow up, too - the .44 wouldn't be my first choice for that reason, and probably negates any advantage that its rim might afford you. With plenty of practice, when the adrenaline starts flowing, you rely on muscle memory and let the automatic pilot take over. Just like proper trigger control is learned by lots of dry firing - the motions become natural. The carbine configuration will let you shoot things more accurately at much longer distances. I wouldn't want to try a handgun on multiple fast moving targets - one unspooked deer, squirrel, or small varmint at a time is enough for me, even with a revolver. But then, I'm much better with a rifle. We have never called for coyotes up here and are generally shooting at them at several hundred yards or more. I can remember dropping the second in a pack just as the sound of the first round reached them. At those ranges, for me, there's no such thing as a running shot (that actually hits anything).

shooter44
01-04-2007, 05:32 AM
Got another Yote this afternoon with my 44, they have gotten out of control around here. We just shoot on sight now. Going to load up some 357's and drag out the ole smith. Load me some 158's and bust some yote butt

kg42
01-04-2007, 05:23 PM
All that reminded me of an article about a Javelina hunt... When the author left his spot to rejoin his friends, they all had big grins on their faces and asked what had gone wrong with that single action six shooter going full auto.... One of the little piggies had chosen to escape going straight at him :D

lovedogs
01-10-2007, 12:10 AM
It's okay that some of those yotes got away. I know their baliwick and I've got all winter. Next time they'll get a surprise though. I'll be using a bolt action. I may not get them all at once but the ones that get away will have to keep looking over their shoulders as I'll be out and about all winter. I'm kind of like the RCMP in that way... I always get my man (or coyote). Many in this area have gotten smart but if I persist I eventually catch up to them. My .222's, .223's,
.22-.250's, and .25-06's reach out considerably farther than that .44 can.