PDA

View Full Version : d-o-k Sir, need your light... :)

kg42
12-18-2006, 11:45 PM
..or anybody...

Have you noticed a difference in wearing speed for different calibers with the same parent cartridge?

I was under the impression that smaller calibers, say 243, would last longer than larger ones like 308.

Thnks

And here's a couple of guns I bet you don't have in these calibers: http://www.mccannindustries.com/index.html :D.

kg

d-o-k
12-29-2006, 01:59 PM
Before I go any further A 458 GARAND ??????????????????????????[smilie=w:

On the subject of barrel wear between cals useing the same Parent cartridge ? Yes I have found that I burnt out barrels in the off spring faster than the parent ! Mainly due to higher velosities ,which of course normally use hotter loads . In the case of the 270 for instance it's parent was the 30-06 I belive or the .243 which is the off spring of the .308 ! The .243 seems to enjoy useing a Slower burning powder to get it's full potential & there by the throat is exposed to a longer & hotter burn IMHO.

Dave

klausg
12-29-2006, 05:03 PM
kg42-
Not from personal experience, I have yet to burn out my first barrel; but my quasi-engineer type mind agrees with d-o-k. I would think that the smaller bored offspring would burn out throats faster. As to the necked up versions lasting longer, I'm not too sure. My gut tells me they would be roughly equal to the parent cartridge, I'll have to do a little more research as opposed to guessing.

-Klaus

kg42
12-30-2006, 03:26 AM
Thanks guys; so the U.S. army should have kept the 45-70 and loaded it with Bullseye, eh? I knew it all along :mrgreen: (I think I got my opposite belief in the army.....)