PDA

View Full Version : I'm back...

lovedogs
12-04-2006, 03:26 AM
Sorry I've been gone so long. I was busy with silhouette competitions, then helping people get their guns ready for hunting season, then helping with a handicapped hunt, then helping my lady friend get her first deer, then I finally got to do my own hunting. Now that's all over and all I have to do is build some knives for Christmas and hunt coyotes. So I'll try to be around more often. Looking forward to chatting with you all again.

kg42
12-05-2006, 02:34 AM
You haven't met a guy named "Toney" while hunting, by any chance :???: ?

kg

lovedogs
12-05-2006, 03:22 AM
Nope, haven't seen him. If I had, I'd have put him to work helping me drag out that big whitetail buck I shot down in the Smokey Breaks. It took me five hours to drag him out up over some cliffs and through some horrible blow-down. I survived it though and he was sure worth it. He's a 20 inch 5X6 with real good mass. The beams are 18 inchers, 4 1/2 inch eye guards (one in a large V-shape), and 6 inch circumference bases. He was 176 lbs. field-dressed. The .25-06 did a real good job at 279 yds.

kg42
12-05-2006, 04:59 AM
I saw somewhere (mountainmolds forum?) some comments about a "must have" folding cart you can carry with you while hunting.
At about 18lbs if I remember, wouldn't it be the solution to your problem :mrgreen:.
My boss (a woman), who doesn't like wheelbarrows bought herself a two wheeled thingy for gardening.... well I guess these work only fo women... i can see it as a real breakthrough for bag-ladies though :D.

What bullet did you use in the 25-06?

lovedogs
12-05-2006, 06:03 PM
I did use a game cart. Mine weighs 30-some lbs. though. It's got 16 inch wheels and was a real life saver. I don't know how I got along this many years without it. You still have to drag it but it makes it a lot easier. Keeps the game a lot cleaner, too.

The bullet was a Hornady 100 gr. I used 120 gr. of various mfg. for years and wasn't too happy with them. All conventional ones came apart and I refuse to be ripped off by using the premium ones. I tried the Nosler Partition and it worked okay but it was a little more than needed on deer and too expensive. Then one day I had to put down a deer someone wounded with my coyote load, the Hornady 100 gr., and it worked great. I've been using it on deer ever since. It always has penetrated completely and kills really good. It also has the advantage of less wind drift and flatter trajectory than you can get with the heavier ones.