PDA

View Full Version : How To Question # 2

rocky3
05-31-2014, 03:07 AM
I ordered a Lee perfect powder measure and wondering if anyone has used one for pistol powder reloads?
I use IMR 700 X powder 4.0 g. and Unique 5.0 g. No problems with either one and no signs of too much pressure. This is for 9mm. I use CCI 500 small pistol primers. With shortage I bought Federal small pistol primers of which I will use next. My bullets are plated RN 124 g's.
My next reloads will be Plated HP's with IMR 700 X powder. Any ideas on a formula for such, or should I stick with PRN formula of 4.0 g.
I really got tired of weighing every charge, hence my buying the Lee perfect powder measure.
Thanks to all that answered my first question, all worked out fine.
rocky,@ Oregon coast.

Mike in tx
05-31-2014, 10:38 AM
I use a Lee perfect powder measure and am very happy with it. You will have to adjust the side plate for different powders, to stop any leakage, but it will throw charges as well as most and better than some. Play with it to get familiar with it.

versifier
05-31-2014, 02:01 PM
Like all Lee tools, it does the job. That said, I much prefer traditional adjustable powder measures as they are easier to use and much more versatile. Depending on the specific powder you want to use, you may not be able to hit the exact charge weight you want with a Lee, but there will always be one or more cavities that will get you a workable and functional load with any given powder. That's more than adequate for 99% of the loading most would want to do. Like with any mechanical powder measure, there are powder shapes it will like better than others. Accuracy with the more difficult (like long extruded) powders is still doable, but they can require much patience and practice to drop consistent charges. Fortunately, those powders are mostly used in high case volume rifle loads which isn't an issue for you yet.

noylj
06-04-2014, 09:29 AM
Versifier: confusing the Lee PPM with the Lee Pro Auto Disk?

versifier
06-04-2014, 02:14 PM
Oops. You are quite correct noylj. I did get the PPM confused with the Auto Disk, and having tried both of them one would think I should be able to keep the names straight. [smilie=f: Thank you for catching that.

But no mechanical measure runs easily with extruded powders, they are the hardest to master and drop consistently. The learning curve with them can take quite a while and be a very frustrating experience for beginners, especially if they have not been warned to expect such difficulties and how to overcome them. And that of course is why they make powder tricklers.

rocky3
06-04-2014, 03:12 PM
[QUOTE=Mike in tx;14825]I use a Lee perfect powder measure and am very happy with it. You will have to adjust the side plate for different powders, to stop any leakage, but it will throw charges as well as most and better than some. Play with it to get familiar with it.[/QUOTE
Please explain how to adjust side plate. How does one get to it. Not one word in Lee manual about side plate in "Perfect Powder Measure". Now I am confused. lol

noylj
06-05-2014, 02:19 AM
I believe the "side plate" being mentioned is the cover where the handle is. You need to remove it to disassemble the PPM. The PPM works by having two conical sections, where one moves against the other, rather than a cylindrical rotor like other powder measures. As the measure is used, the two conicals sections will fit tighter and tighter, but until then fine kernels of powder can and will leak out. For bench mount operation, you simply put a piece of paper under it to collect the leaked powder. After you are done, disassemble and clean it out. You can play with the tension adjustment, but NOT while it is leaking powder.
I seldom use mine, as I don't use a bench-mounted measure much any more, but it still does as good a job metering as any other measure I have owned and better than many.

rocky3
06-06-2014, 02:05 AM
noylj, Thank you, I have no leakage and I did 300 cartridges today. Scale was on most times, if I hit my hand that charge was off. Ya, it does happen. Another 300 and soon a thousand. lol
I am more than satisfied with my lee perfect powder measure. The you tube guy was right about the math in trying to convert cc's to weight, just dial and fiddle with micrometer and presto it works fine.
Why Lee keeps pushing mass vs weight is plain stupid as all powder manufactures use weight and all the reloading suppliers also go by weight.
I'm tired, and I just wanted once more to say "Thank You" for the help.
rocky

Mike in tx
06-06-2014, 07:09 PM
Using volume is the correct way to measure all powders; its just that the companies print weight. Want a cheap "scale", Lee makes a set of dippers. Work well enough for the older Lee Loaders. For precision, a scale and weight is more precise; but check out a set amount of cc's and check the weights from different lots. Sometimes a large difference. I also have a Lyman 55 and dislike that thing like the devil. Harder to set up and does not cut 4350 worth beans. Just my limited experience and humble opinion.

303tom
06-07-2014, 02:32 AM
I use just about Lee everything, including the Lee perfect powder measure, but I do stop & weigh A few rounds every so often...............

rocky3
06-07-2014, 04:30 PM
Me too. Every 10th round I measure the weight on my balance scale. Seldom it is off.
I hope Unique is as accurate as IMR 700X is.
My guess is the volume vs weight argument will be debated for many years to come. lol
My next question might well be controversial, but that will be for another day.
rocky