PDA

View Full Version : Silly rookie ?, re: case lube

klausg
11-09-2006, 10:15 PM
Hey gang,
I have always believed that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask, so here goes. Based on some threads here & on the CB side I decided to try some Imperial Case Wax for lubing cases. My question is just how to apply it; up until now my lubing has always been done w/a Lyman lube pad, the good old "roll across the pad method". I assume that I don't want to smear a load of this stuff into a new pad; is it as simple as smearing a little on w/my fingers? I will probably only use the wax for case forming chores and stick with the Lyman for everyday use. Thanks in advance.

-Klaus

versifier
11-09-2006, 10:57 PM
I got a can of it a month or so ago and just tried it yesterday. As per what I had read, I lightly wiped my finger across the top of the wax and had more than enough for twenty cases. It only takes a little bit to work.

Bullshop Junior
11-12-2006, 07:03 AM
Well I have not used the imperial for awhile, but I use a lube almost identical except for color. What I use is "Bull Size" which was designed by my dad. What I do is get some on my pointer finger (just a little itty-bitty bit mind you, but just enough to feel it.), and then rub it between my thumb and pointer, and the "wipe/roll it onto the case. With the bull size
I can do about 20-30 cases, but as soon as they start going in a little hard give it another dose. The Bull Size is a better lube. My dad used it to size a 30/06 in a 22/250 die.(do not try that at home:-D ) The price on the Bull Size is $2.50. Since dad is the inventer on Bull size, I get that for free, and the imperial I have to trade for the green stuff:roll: , whats it called,............. MONEY!!:mrgreen:
DANIEL/BS JR.

klausg
11-15-2006, 11:16 PM
Hey guys,
Thanks for the replies. Dan you mean there is yet another wonder lube that I've got to get from your Dad? I'm already sold on his sprue plate lube, if I could just quit knocking the bottles off the bench [smilie=b: (I now have a very well-lubed chunk of concrete). It'll probably take me quite awhile to run out of the Imperial, but I'll keep you guys in mind.

-Klaus

454PB
12-15-2006, 05:48 AM
Not to take business from Bullshop or Imperial, but I've used a very good substitute for years. It's "Smiling Mink" boot waterproofing. I've used it to size brass to smaller calibers, swage bullets, and general resizing lube. A 4 ounce container is about $3 and available at any sporting goods store. 4 ounces should lube about a million cases......

Hunter
01-08-2007, 05:36 AM
I used that Hornady Unique case lube and it works great but you have to be sure only to use a small amount like versifer said or the brass may dent upon resizing. I have since went to the Hornady 1 Shot spray lube and I like that much better. Works as good but less mess.