PDA

View Full Version : Back At The Casting Pot Today

versifier
04-30-2014, 09:35 PM
DBF (daughter's boyfriend) is cranking out 9mm bullets as I write. He's been helping me out since last summer and I am impressed. He listens well, and he stops and asks intelligent questions when he isn't sure about something. It's a win-win situation all around.

I broke in a new .25 cal mould for my .25-20 Contender barrel and the bullets (86gr plain base) look great. Now that I have a bunch of bullets for it, all I have to do is slug the barrel and make a sizer. Picklehead sent me a 7/8-14 threading die, so that will save some time and effort cutting the threads once I get the lathe set up.

I managed about an hour of casting until I started to stiffen up, much better than I was expecting. Not up for an all day casting marathon yet, but I am confident it will come in time. I tossed the collar two days ago, felt like a pet wearing the "cone of shame".

Next up will be a ton of 8mm's for the old Mauser and a bunch of the 7.5Swiss's favorite 180's. I am way behind on loading and testing, and it will still be a while before I can handle any recoil. I haven't tried the repetitive motion of loading, maybe I will give it a try this weekend and see how things work out.

Mike in tx
04-30-2014, 09:38 PM
Good for you. Keep up the good work and PT

j1
10-29-2014, 12:36 AM
V it is nice to hear that you are up and better. Take it slowly please.

j1
10-07-2015, 09:16 PM
Somehow I got back on here without kidnapping any children. Hiya V. Glad that you are feling better.