PDA

View Full Version : Chileano Mauser

Wayne Smith
09-05-2006, 06:35 PM
Thought I start this off with my Chileano Mauser 7x57 original. Always wanted a 7 Mauser, so I bought it even though it had been slightly bubbaed - stock redo. This gave me the opening to do a real job.

Took off the sights, polished the barrel, put on a low safety and got a cock on closing kit and took the metal to my gunsmith. Told him I wanted the extractor, the knife blade bolt handle I handed him, and the bolt shroud niter blued, the barreled action blued, and the bolt handle welded on, the cock on closing kit installed. He knows me.

Called me in a couple of weeks later, said "I didn't quite do what you asked, but I'll change it if you want". I says "What did you do?" He pulls it out and says "I didn't niter blue, I stopped at gold". Beautiful job of blueing the barreled action, the bolt shroud, bolt handle, and extractor are gold while the safety ring is blue and the bolt end is silver. Very nice combination.

He put a Leupold VARIX III on it, low enough mount that I can't open the bolt with scope covers on. I refinished the stock, but need to put a new one on, and need to switch out the trigger, too.

Oh, yeah, it shoots, too!

versifier
09-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Sounds pretty good. Got pictures?:)

Baldy
09-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Post some pictures. Sounds interesting.