PDA

View Full Version : Aussie New SMLE

Canuck44
08-16-2006, 03:34 AM
For the Aussies on the forum this question is for you. DOK you out there?

What has been your experience with these rifles:

http://www.marstar.ca/gf-AIA/index.shtm

From comments on the canadiangunutz forum the general consensus is they are pricey and don't really fill a market for us because they are not true military rifles and would not qualify for our military shoots.

I would be more interested to hear about the quality of the guns and how they stand up to the .308Win round.

Take Care

Bob

d-o-k
08-24-2006, 10:13 AM
My appologies for not being round for a while ! Work beconed with Tracey Home & her mother here to look after things . I've been out up north taking care of a dingo problem ! Now these M10's ? Read heap of junk/snot /abortion /& other things I would rather not print here about what I think of them !!!!!!!!! They are not made in Australia . Rather they are Made in Vietnam & Marketed in Australia ! I have yet to hear of a decient thing to be said of them by people who have forked out the Money for them ! After sales service is like finding a honest Politition (it's there but you have to be lucky to find it !)

Dave

versifier
08-24-2006, 02:52 PM
Ah. I wondered if you had fallen off the edge of the planet. I hope Tracey continues to improve.

Made in Viet Nam, huh? You don't hear too much coming from there these days except a few vets going back to heal old wounds. A shame the quality isn't there. Sounds like it would be interesting, but there is an obvious question: Why would you want to take an action that was specifically designed to function with a rimmed case and chamber it for a rimless one? Yeah, I know, no headspace problems, better brass life, etc., but if you want a .308, there are lots of Mausers and variations that would work/feed/function better without any special modifications or design "upgrades". Now, if you wanted to chamber it for the .307Win......

Canuck44
08-24-2006, 04:01 PM
Good news about Tracy Dave, glad to hear she is coming around. Thanks for the reply. Like an honest assessment and knew I would get one from you.

I was kinda wondering where you have been but assumed you were up north doing your thing. Found some pictures of the area you live in. About what I imagined it to be. Suspect a fellow would want to be knowing what he was doing when he heads out into that country,

I'll try to catch up with you in the chat room if I can figure out how to stay up later here or get up earlier. Damm time zones, much easier of the world was flat. LOL

Take Care and wish Tracy well.

Bob

cantom
08-24-2006, 04:06 PM
Ah. I wondered if you had fallen off the edge of the planet. I hope Tracey continues to improve.

Made in Viet Nam, huh? You don't hear too much coming from there these days except a few vets going back to heal old wounds. A shame the quality isn't there. Sounds like it would be interesting, but there is an obvious question: Why would you want to take an action that was specifically designed to function with a rimmed case and chamber it for a rimless one? Yeah, I know, no headspace problems, better brass life, etc., but if you want a .308, there are lots of Mausers and variations that would work/feed/function better without any special modifications or design "upgrades". Now, if you wanted to chamber it for the .307Win......

Are you talking about the 7.62 X 39 M10 rifles or the No 4 Mk 4 .308 rifles?
A lot of people here in Canada are thinking about these rifles. We're hoping to get as much info on them as possible, particularly from those in Australia that already have owned and fired them. Specific comments would be very interesting. I had heard that the 7.62 X39 rifles had some feeding issues due to magazine type, but what of the .308 No 4 clone rifles?
How do they shoot, feed etc.? What sort of problems have people had?
I've read that they are quite accurate...

Baldy
08-25-2006, 03:19 AM
Hey d.o.k glad you are back and Tracey is coming along OK. We kept her and the family in our prayers. If you say that rifle is junk that's good enough for me. Have a good day... Baldy.

Canuck44
08-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Man did I open a can of worms when I quoted your post on canadiangunutz forum. Dave would you be as specific as you can about the rifles as to what problems if any you or your friends at the range you shoot at have had with the gun.

Seems like there is a line up of guys ready to pluck down $750 to $900 bucks for these rifles.

Baldy I'm with you. If Dave says they aren't worth buying my money will stay in my pocket. Got a few other toys I want to spend my cash on before I get another Lee Enfield. Have't got time to shoot the guns I have.

Regards,

Bob

Take Care

Bob

d-o-k
08-26-2006, 06:22 AM
I have'nt heard much or seen the 308 Mk4 that's being offered . THe problem being that they won't take the loadings of a .308 . As they are built to take the pressures of the 7.62 x51 (7.62 Nato ) which is a lot less than the .308 that we know & love these days ! Judging from the workmanship I have seen on the M10s ! I would with out hestitation buy these for People like ......Tree huggers ,The Anti gun movement ect in the hope they would use them !!!!!!!!

Dave

kg42
08-27-2006, 02:03 AM
Dave, would you (or anybody) by any chance know the barrel thread's size on a SMLE?

Thnks
kg

... - - - ... ... - - - ... ... - - - ... ... - - - ...

O.K., no worries with your notes :mrgreen:, I found it!

http://enfieldrifles.profusehost.net/

http://www.webpages.uidaho.edu/~stratton/en-page.html

lusodragoon
10-05-2006, 02:07 AM
I own a M10 7.62x39. It is a nice rifle. However, it appears that production of tthe M10 has been discontinued (a problem for replacement parts :( I have heard about the feeding problems but I have not experience them.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5543453304115292769&q=m10&hl=en

To DOK: I doubt that you ever came close to even seeing someone shooting a M10. You comments are just hip-shooter's generic braggadocio.

Canuck44
10-06-2006, 09:21 PM
For your first post that is quite a statement regarding DOK aka Dave. Unless you have a resume much bigger than your mouth I would suggest you lose some of the sharpness in your comments. I know Dave has more behind what he says than your comment warrants.

One experience a thousand times is not a thousand experiences.

Dave has put more bullets down his rifles than most of us will in two lifetimes.

Take Care

Bob