PDA

View Full Version : Good news !!!!!

d-o-k
08-05-2006, 06:56 AM
I got a phone call from the Hospital this morning ! After having to do another Operation yesterday My Wife is awake today (after over a week in the induced coma ) & hopefully will make a speedier recovery ! (I'm really getting sick of my own cooking & the kids have gone on a hunger strike rather than eat it !:-D )

My warmest thanks to the mail I have recived ! I will be passing on your prayers & good wishes to Tracey

Dave

Baldy
08-05-2006, 04:04 PM
Please tell Tracey we are all pulling for her to get well soon and we will keep her in our prayers till she's home. Good luck with the kids. Mind were wanting to string me up over my cooking one time when my Lady was in the hospital. Take care Dave. Baldy

ancestor
08-05-2006, 10:05 PM
Dave very sorry to hear of your little lady. Sincerely hope all goes well and the cooking can resort to normal.One's little lady is one heck of a person.
graham

versifier
08-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Excellent news Dave. As far as the kids go, it is just the kind of situation where they can be motivated to learn to do some cooking for themselves. My mother died when I was a teen and we learned to cook in self defense! Dad does pretty good now, but back then it was horrible! All four of us can cook fairly well, two of us have worked as professional chefs. My own are all very into cooking, the youngest is learning breakfasts. Here's an appropriate little jem from the Maine woods to lighten the mood at the supper table. It might even be true:

Moose Turd Pie

Nobody wanted to cook at the logging camp as all the lumberjacks were only paid for the trees they felled or hauled, and the cook had to miss half of the day's work to do the meals for everyone. So, it became the custom to "promote" anyone who complained about the cooking to the job. As no one else had explained the situation to him, Peirre, the new guy, had started complaining at the first dinner and so was immediately elected cook by the whole crew. He wasn't much of a cook, but since he had to eat, too, he did try to do his best and, of course, no one had any complaints.

Pierre, you know, he wasn't the sharpest tool in the shed, so it took him a few weeks to come up with a plan he figured couldn't fail. He was making pot pies with beef and venison for the crew and hadn't made up quite enough filling, so he had one empty shell. That's when the inspiration struck. He took a short walk outside of the cook shack and looked until he found a fresh pile of moose turds. He covered them with gravy, sealed up the pie, and put them all in to bake.

He put the pies out on the table for dinner, making sure he was sitting at the other end of the table from the moose turd pie, and he waited. Everyone dug into their pies. It took a few minutes, but sure enough, all of a sudden Sven yelled out:

"What the ****!!?! This is a goddam moose turd pie!" There was sudden silence at the table, and realizing that he had almost blown it, Sven did some quick thinking.
"But hey, you know, it's the best moose turd pie I ever ate!"

d-o-k
08-08-2006, 01:20 AM
[smilie=l: [smilie=l: I like it ! I must admit the Kds all take turns at cooking & doing the chores around the place ! The make a joke in reguards to my cooking as I once told them that some of the Cooks I've met over the years were probarly better suited to being Dog Baiters !

Dave

kodiak1
08-08-2006, 02:20 AM
Great news Dave. Wishing you and your whole family all the best.
Get them kids eaten again.
Ken.

44Woody
08-08-2006, 09:08 PM
first I hope and pray that your wife has a speedy recovery and your faimly will be in my pryers as for the kids eating get the bbq grill out haven't met a kid that did not like hot dogs or hamburgers on the grill my best wishes to you and yours 44Woody

kg42
08-08-2006, 11:01 PM
Dave, that's very good news indeed.
About the "catering" thing, now might be a good time to teach the kids how to feed on the wild, like "you did" when you were their age... remember ;) ?

kg

d-o-k
08-09-2006, 02:58 AM
Dave, that's very good news indeed.
About the "catering" thing, now might be a good time to teach the kids how to feed on the wild, like "you did" when you were their age... remember ;) ?

kg

What do you mean "did?" When I'm out bush my supply of meat still comes from what ever I'm shooting :-D The kids I must admit are fasinatd on what you can eat out in the Bush (including snake & wigiddy grubs ,to say nothing of Wild peach pie ! )
I've already taught them .....If you can't eat it ,If it dosen't threatern live stock or crops& most importantly if you can't make a Dollar out of it don't waste a bullet ! (anybody got a good recipe for tin cans & old bottles ???????:mrgreen: )

Dave

kg42
08-11-2006, 02:47 PM
Good for them Dave, 'cause you missed the point you honest and straightforward man; I was thinking along the lines of:

"Kids, Law of the West (or South if I remember where you are) say that at you age, a boy needs to spend one week alone in the wild to prove he is a Man; so stop complaining about the food and get your backpacks ready!" :twisted:

Lies and deception weren't made only for women.... ;)

kg

Canuck44
08-16-2006, 01:16 AM
Well Dave my heart goes out to you. I recently did a six week stint at cooking as you know when Linda was down. Best thing I can report is I lost 15 lbs which was a bonus. Man if I had to eat my own cooking for more than a two months I think I would go look for a bolt of lightning or a wet light socket.

Glad to here Tracy is getting better.

Bob

d-o-k
08-16-2006, 10:03 AM
Tracey is now home & is ruleling the roost ! She's lost a lot weight & is very weak still but is glad to be home & is trying to place the events of the last 3weeks !

Dave

versifier
08-16-2006, 04:08 PM
Glad to hear some good news Dave! You hadn't posted in a while and I was wondering how she and you were getting on. It's amazing how much we take for granted in our everyday lives, until something major happens and slaps us right upside the head with a healthy dose of reality.

kg42
08-16-2006, 05:15 PM
That's great to hear; now make sure she gets that rest, the house is not going anywhere :)!

dale clawson
08-26-2006, 12:26 AM
Still haven't heard from Toney, and now it's been a while since D-O-K dropped in, Hope all's well with both of you, Miss your posting. Dale

Gunload Master
08-26-2006, 02:59 AM
Yea, it's been over a month for Toney.. No response to my e-mail I sent him either.. Just have to play the waiting game....