PDA

View Full Version : T/C Scout Carbine 50 cal.

Taylor
07-13-2006, 10:10 PM
Is anyone familar with this little rifle? What charges/loads might make it happy? I found it in a pawn shop for $90,quite unique I think. I am considering the Lee REAL mould.

versifier
07-14-2006, 04:19 AM
Welcome to the asylum!

Good deal. In fact, very good deal. :-D

I would suggest mounting the T/C or Williams peep sight on the tang. It should, depending on its age, be already drilled and tapped for it.

REALs, MaxiHunters, or MaxiBalls (Lyman makes a mould) will likely do well with it, but I'd also try a few different sabot loads (just to see how they do) with 70-110gr FFG or equivalent volumes of Pyrodex RS. PRB's with charges of 50-110gr. T/C sells bags of empty sabots that you can fill with your own cast .44 boolits, too. Every m/l barrel is different, and I believe yours has the the twist for slugs, but so is mine and it shoots PRB's and sabots MOA too. You just have to experiment.

Taylor
07-14-2006, 10:27 PM
Thanks I appreciate your input,tang sight's ? I've never used them.The rifle was already scoped when bought.But I do like the idea.Also I have been reading this sight for months,and yesterday decided to join.There seems to be a great deal of knowledge among all you fine folks.And you don't mind answering a question.Thanks.

versifier
07-15-2006, 01:43 AM
Considering the limited range of a m/l and that sometimes quick shots are the only ones you get, I prefer the speed and utility of receiver sights on my hunting rifles. I live in New England where the woods are thick and most shots are 50yds or less anyway. There is no sight faster or quicker onto a moving target: M1carbines, Garands, M16's all wear them and millions of us owe our lives to them. In fact, the only hunting rifle I own that has a scope on it is my varmint rifle. ;)