PDA

View Full Version : Load needed for .30-30 Contender

sharps_74
07-08-2006, 08:48 PM
I just got a contender in .30-30 WIN. it has a 10 inch Bbl.. I like the factory loads. However, Wally World is 26+ miles away and I'm on foot or horse back. Anyhow, it's too far. So, I need to come up with a good load for it. I'm thinking something factory or better. Anybody here ever reload for one of these. The kick is not bad, so loading hotter is not a problem.

God's blessing,
Ken

versifier
07-08-2006, 11:17 PM
Hi Ken,
Welcome to the forum. First question: Are you going to punch paper, hunt, or knock over silhouettes?
Factory loads and the bullets loaded in them are designed for the longer barrels of lever action rifles and don't usually shoot as accurately from a handgun. You are also limited to flat nose or round nose bullets that won't expand on game at the lower velocities generated in a 10" barrel. The good news is that with handloads, you can have anything you want - you can choose from an amazing variety of bullets and boolits to do just the job you have in mind. You can be shooting anything from 85-200grains, but it depends on what it is you want to do. I shot .30-30 from both a Contender and an SSP for target, varmint, and deer hunting. "Hot" isn't an operative word with me, but "accurate" is.

d-o-k
07-09-2006, 04:30 AM
G"day Ken welcome to the guide . Took me a couple of Phone calls but I tracked down a couple of loads

130gns Starting load Varget 32.5 Max 35.0
150gns ' ' ' ' ' " " 31.0 " " 34.5
170gns ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' ' " " 29.5 " " 33.0

Dave

versifier
07-09-2006, 05:06 PM
I finally found my old loading notes. Here are two hunting loads:
Sierra 125gr FNHP RE-7 28.0 (25.7-31.5MAX)
Sierra 110gr RNSP RE-7 28.0 (26.1-31.2MAX)
Both loads averaged right around 2000fps, but the chrono I had then was a cheap one and I don't know how much to trust its readings. They are both the most accurate loads for the powder.
The 125gr load was for deer, (expansion was not bad, but you have to be very careful with shot placement when you hunt with a handgun anyway - with the heart shots taken, a FMJ probably would have done the job), if the accuracy in your barrel is acceptable in the upper range, I would push for as much velocity as possible. The 110gr load was also my favorite target load and grouped well at 100+yds. Woodchucks stood no chance out to about 150yds while I had a 2X scope on it, but I stuck to open sights for hunting deer. Heavier bullets gave no advantage (too low velocity for expansion on game, and the recoil was not pleasant), and I also tried Sierra's now-discontinued 135gr SSP bullet with several powders, but the accuracy was unacceptable. I don't shoot silhouettes, so I had no real interest in developing loads with the heavier bullets. If I were doing it now, I would be focusing on cast boolits from 117-150grs cast in WW for expansion.

lovedogs
07-20-2006, 01:37 AM
About a dozen years ago I ordered a 12 inch .30-30 bbl. from T/C's Custom Shop and have used it on lots of prairie dogs, a few coyotes, and several deer since. With the usual caution of advising working up to someone's else's load with care I'd tell you the loads mine like best are:

W-W cases, CCI 250's, 31 gr. H335, Hornady 130 gr. SSP's seated @ .020 freebore. Vel. is 2050 FPS @ 70 degrees.

W-W cases, CCI 250'S, 30 1/2 gr. H335, Nosler 150 gr. BT's seated @ .020 freebore. Vel. is 1982 FPS @ 75 degrees.

Accuracy for both loads average around 7/8 inch @ 100. I've found that the magnum primers resulted in less vel. spreads and better accuracy. Also note that H335 in these short bbls. is EXTREMELY loud. Hearing protection is an absolute must, even while hunting.

The Hornady load works well on both small and large critters but expansion on deer-sized is only good out to about 175 yds. at this vel. The Noslers are good out to 200 yds. I've also come to appreciate Pachmayr's Decelerator grip.

Best of luck to you!

Mike