PDA

View Full Version : Texas feller joinin' up with you folks!

HondoJohn
07-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Friends & neighbors!

This looks like a mighty good site to spend some time and share knowledge. I will be 64 this November and have been reloading for 45+ years and shooting a bit more than that. The 6.5's are my caliber of choice for my personal rifles but appreciate most any bore size that a person can shoot with confidence.

Have done some cast "boolits" but plan to be doing more when I finally have a shop in which to work. I am semi-retired and hold a type 01 FFL and a riflesmith. I am specialized in my work....bolt and lever centerfires only.

Looking forward to visiting with you folks as much as I can.

Best regards

Ol' John:coffee:

Toney
07-03-2006, 01:27 AM
Welcome to the guide John!!!

Canuck44
07-03-2006, 01:34 AM
Welcome from the North West of B.C. You will find a spot here I am sure. Great place to rest and tell lies.

Take Care

Vegas Vince
07-03-2006, 02:46 AM
I am new myself. Been over on the cast boolit side. But welcome aboard!!

Vince

Baldy
07-03-2006, 03:24 AM
Welcome on the board Hondo. Don't forget to sign up on all three boards. There's a bunch on the Cast board.:-D [smilie=w: :-D

kodiak1
07-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Howdy Pardner from Central Alberta Canada. Post and be heard.
Ken.

kg42
07-04-2006, 10:20 PM
Welcome to both of you southerners, with a special mention for the 'smith who will have to answer a lot of tech questions :mrgreen:!

John, maybe you can be of some help here; http://reloaders.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=376

...and could you educate me by explaining what a "01" FFL is?

Thanks in advance

kg

HondoJohn
07-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Welcome to both of you southerners, with a special mention for the 'smith who will have to answer a lot of tech questions :mrgreen:!

John, maybe you can be of some help here; http://reloaders.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=376

...and could you educate me by explaining what a "01" FFL is?

Thanks in advance

kg

kg,

A type "01" FFL means that I am an accredited dealer in firearms and can do business as such legally by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms & Explosives (BATFE). I have been fingerprinted, photographed, background check, not a fugitive from justice and no criminal record. They figure that I will do my sales and work according to the laws & rules that prevail and I am a reasonably honest fellow! There is also a "03" FFL which allows the individual holding such a license to do everything that I do PLUS can purchase/sell fully-automatic weapons( machine guns) ...... they go thru a more extensive background check and have a whole lot more $$$$MONEY$$$$ than I do. A good example of a fellow that has a "03" license is the gent that owns/operates DILLON PRECISION...the manufacturer of very good reloading equipment. He owns and flys a fully operational P-51 Mustang with fully operational Browning 50cal machine guns and does a little "strafing" at his ranch in Arizona. Also has at least one "quad 50" mounted on a vehicle that can handle those 4 50cal Brownings.

Hope that answers your question.

Ol' John

klausg
07-05-2006, 04:10 PM
John-
Another welcome, this one from Alaska. As 6.5 is your caliber of choice, do you have any pet loads for the .260 REM? Awhile back I did a swap for a Ruger M77 Compact that is now on semi-permanent loan to my nephew in Missouri. It's a little light for most things up here, but I figure it ought to whack the heck out of the whitetails down where he is. Sadly I didn't have it long enough to do much load development, so... Got a favorite powder, bullet?

HondoJohn
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
klausg,
Favorite powder(so far) is AA 4350 with Sierra 100gr HP's and Nosler 120BT and 125 Nosler PAR. My load is above the listed MAX load in 2 of the reloading manuals so I won't list it on the WEB but it shows no excessive pressure signs. As each gun is an individual it would be best to use charge weights from the manual and check velocities with a chrono. I am building a 6.5/08(260R)Ackley Imp for my medium range varminter so will begin load development with the AA 4350 and have on hand some VV 150 for future testing. Hope that info helps.

Ol' John:coffee:

kg42
07-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Hope that answers your question.

Ol' John
Thanks John. When I made a web search I got the idea that a 01 type licensee could not sell the guns he put together :-? ; does that only apply to NFA weapons?

kg

klausg
07-13-2006, 03:44 PM
John- Thanks much for the input, I have been playing around with quite a few powders, to include every 4350 except AA, guess I'll have to go pick up a pound and try it out. Thanks again, take care.

-Klaus