PDA

View Full Version : Scary story, or whatever...

kg42
06-24-2006, 08:35 PM
So, a few months ago, I was coming home through a neighbourhood I didn't know when I saw that little mechanic shoppe and decided to try my chance at what-you-know.
I asked the owner if he repaired tires ("yes Sir, I do!") and then what he did with the used wheelweights....
"the what?" he said...
"The wheelwheights, you know, the little tire equilibration weights...!"

Well I just couldn't explain to him what it was so, gallantly, the man showed me a few cars in his yard and offered me to point the "part"...
I couldn't find a single one on the first two cars and didn't bother with the last one... The man then said that he would call his daughter who, with her better command of English, would certainly clarify the matter...

After a short explanation, all I got from the 13 years old girl was a definite "I don't see what it is and actually I never ever heard about it and I don't think that exists!".

At least it was better than the short and rude welcome I got in some other places...

On my way home, I had that weird feeling and kept thinking about that David Vincent guy: "But I know they exist, I saw THEM!".

kg

Baldy
06-25-2006, 03:58 AM
Now thats Funny...[smilie=s:

d-o-k
07-06-2006, 02:31 PM
You have just entered the TWILIGHT ZONE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:shock:

Dave

Canuck44
08-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Where in gods name do you live in this god foresaken province? Has to be in Vancouver...

Take Care

Bob

kg42
08-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Where in gods name do you live in this god foresaken province? Has to be in Vancouver...

Close enough to smell it :)

GSPKurt
12-16-2006, 12:03 AM
[smilie=l: [smilie=l: [smilie=l: [smilie=l: [smilie=l:

444Hal
12-26-2006, 08:58 PM
He aint mounting my tires !

Hunter
12-28-2006, 03:34 AM
I stopped in a tire store the other day to inquire about the wheel weights and the lady there told me they sold them. I was thinking $5 or $6 would be a little steep for a 5 gallon bucket full but I would go for that (most places are glad to give them to you so they don't have to haul them off). She told me at least $20 for a bucket mostly full. I passed.

Miner
04-28-2008, 08:06 PM
I stopped in a tire store the other day to inquire about the wheel weights and the lady there told me they sold them. I was thinking $5 or $6 would be a little steep for a 5 gallon bucket full but I would go for that (most places are glad to give them to you so they don't have to haul them off). She told me at least $20 for a bucket mostly full. I passed.

I would love to find em that cheap here:???:

Hunter
07-27-2008, 05:35 AM
Seems the times are a changing.
I used to get all the w-w I could carry for free, now I my suppliers are cut in half and I am paying $10-$20 a full 5 gallon bucket full from 1 place and free from time to time in a few others.

Tom W.
07-28-2008, 03:58 AM
So, a few months ago, I was coming home through a neighbourhood I didn't know when I saw that little mechanic shoppe and decided to try my chance at what-you-know.
I asked the owner if he repaired tires ("yes Sir, I do!") and then what he did with the used wheelweights....
"the what?" he said...
"The wheelwheights, you know, the little tire equilibration weights...!"

Well I just couldn't explain to him what it was so, gallantly, the man showed me a few cars in his yard and offered me to point the "part"...
I couldn't find a single one on the first two cars and didn't bother with the last one... The man then said that he would call his daughter who, with her better command of English, would certainly clarify the matter...

After a short explanation, all I got from the 13 years old girl was a definite "I don't see what it is and actually I never ever heard about it and I don't think that exists!".

At least it was better than the short and rude welcome I got in some other places...

On my way home, I had that weird feeling and kept thinking about that David Vincent guy: "But I know they exist, I saw THEM!".

kg

Maybe the roads are all muddy and the caked on mud negates any good the phantom w/w will do?

Ed Barrett
02-25-2009, 12:41 PM
This stuff of paying for wheel weights scares me. I've been getting them free here, but I'm moving back to South Missouri after 20 years away and most of my contacts for WW's are most likely out of the tire shops.

SciFiJim
02-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I had to get new tires last week. When I asked about wheel weights the owner said that someone came by regularly and paid $20 a bucket. The size he indicated with his hands for the bucket was about one gallon. That's here in California. OUCH! I can buy clean ingot lead for that price instead of dirty wheel weights. I am still looking for a good cheap or free source ( I guess we all do that:) )

mold maker
02-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I got a vehicle inspection today that included a tire change. While there I got a 5 gal. bucket that was full to within 2" of the top. It weighed about 135# I estimate. I offered $15. and He said to come back about once every 3-4 weeks.
Three or four months ago, he wanted $50. for a smaller amount.
The down side is there are lots more Zinc and Steel weights in the mix.
My hands are gonna get sore pinching all those small weights, looking to seperate them.

adk chip
11-18-2009, 05:50 PM
hi all,
i went to the local reclamation yard, and got quoted $35 american for 1/2 a 5 gal pail
w w's

tackstrp
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I have checked several places around west fort worth. was told not allowed to sell or give away, They are returned to vendor or main office.

wistlepig1
04-29-2010, 03:58 AM
I have checked several places around west fort worth. was told not allowed to sell or give away, They are returned to vendor or main office.

That's the standard answer I was getting to. Then it dawned on me that I had a friend of 30 years that owns 2 car dealerships. I stop in every3-4 weeks and get a 1/2 bucket at each. You never know when the lead Gods will shine on you![smilie=1:

luvtn
09-18-2010, 06:23 AM
I pick up ww as I walk/bike ride. I don't want to recover. I don't cast yet, but will have an adequate amount to start with,
lt

Merlin43
09-20-2010, 12:52 AM
When I was helping Cub Scouts with weighting Pinewood Derby cars, I used to get buckets free and any left-overs I sent happily down range, but these days just about everybody has some contractor who will send Guido after him if he lets anyone else near the WW bucket. Those very few who do still share them around won't even give a coffee-can full free to a Scout in uniform!

devilcop
09-25-2010, 09:07 AM
Find a plumber... My Father and Grandfather both supply me with old lead pipe they remove from homes weekly.

Secondhand Bob
02-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Last time I got tires mounted I took the weights off my tires before I took the old beast in. Kept almost 14 oz.[smilie=s:

Old Ranger
03-15-2011, 03:22 PM
Have a similar problem here where I live. The "big city" near me has about 6 tire shops. None of them will give, sell, or trade any WW at all. I was advised that they sell them to a recycle center and that's that. So I just cast with lead and keep my velocity down. What a deal huh?

Wade

303tom
03-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Do you guys know what the price of Lead is , it opened this morning at almost $1.20 a lb. !

hornady
03-19-2011, 01:55 AM
Hi all new to the form. I had my best luck at the smaller tire shops, all the big guy’s said they had contracts with salvage company’s. And could not just sell them. Last spring I scrounged up some 3/8 steel plates and welded up a bullet trap.
Researching bullet traps, there are some simple solutions; some guys just fill a plywood box with rubber mulch.
I know in my case, its nice not scrounging lead all over the country.
On a side note, I had some reclaimed lead I dug out of a pistol range, it had been setting around for a year or so, this spring, I dumped some in the Dutch oven and fired up the turkey cooker.
I was getting muffin pans and the rest of the stuff together, all of a sudden I hear a load bang. My first thought was water in the pot, I checked the bucket, and the rest of the lead in the bucket was bone dry.
I started looking around the pot and found a 380 case laying a couple feet from the pot.
The only conclusion I could come up with, was that someone must have had a miss fire, and threw the case into the backstop.
And when I screened the berm , the 380 case ended up in with the lead.
First time in 40 years of casting and melting reclaimed lead, I have had anything like this happen, good lesson about just dumping reclaimed range lead in the pot.

snubnose
04-18-2011, 02:48 AM
I got a vehicle inspection today that included a tire change. While there I got a 5 gal. bucket that was full to within 2" of the top. It weighed about 135# I estimate. I offered $15. and He said to come back about once every 3-4 weeks.
Three or four months ago, he wanted $50. for a smaller amount.
The down side is there are lots more Zinc and Steel weights in the mix.
My hands are gonna get sore pinching all those small weights, looking to seperate them.

Zink weights? I didn't know that some weights are all zink. How do you tell them apart?

fryboy
04-18-2011, 04:21 AM
Zink weights? I didn't know that some weights are all zink. How do you tell them apart?

umm there's also steel weights , best way is to try and cut or nick them with either a knife or a pair of side cutters ( dikes, diagonal cutters , what ever you prefer to call them ) lead will cut zinc is much much harder as is steel , with a knife lead will sliver not so with zinc or steel , some guys just run their smelting pot at or below 700 F , the zinc weights floats and is skimmed off , personally i prefer to not take the chance and check every one with side cutters , it's a pain but surely beats getting zinc in my alloy

Three44s
05-10-2011, 04:50 AM
My aggregate cost was about 28 bucks for a five gallon bucket full. Now ..... they are no longer available as our State has outlawed them except for trucks!

Three 44s