PDA

View Full Version : Tite group loads

kg42
06-18-2006, 10:17 PM
Been using Tight group in my SBH 44. it works really good with the special loads but not so good with my mag loads, was loading 7grs with a lee 240gr bullet. Got to shoot them over a chrony last week, They had like a 450fps ES
I was rally pleased with my 7.5french tight group load!!! Shooting 13.5gr TG with a 185gr LEE bullet out of a 17" mas36 got 950fps,

Hey Toney, you got my attention here! I was afraid that Titegroup was too dense for rifle cases and I was secretly hoping someone else would try it before me :grin:.
Did you use a filler? How much space do 13.5gr take?

I'm surprised you didn't get good results in 44 with 7gr, I tried 6.7gr with poorly cast 215gr bullets (LEE mold) and got good accuracy... What speeds did you get?

kg

Toney
06-19-2006, 01:41 AM
Hey KG Not much!!! I did'nt use fillers. There not lying about TG not being position sensitive, It's a neat load for plinking, The little mas36 is shooting into 4" at 100rys, shotgun primmers at 15rd no problem.

Was really dissipointed with the7gr load for the 44, it was shooting from the low 600s to the mid 9s. Really thought it would be shooting in the high 1000s was hoping for 1100. The 24gr H110 load with a 240gr XTP shot around 1270 The special load was slow to, had it loaded wth 5gr TG, I don't think it broke 700fps but they were very close right around 650.

Just gotto barrow the crony, did,nt get to shootmuch. Still afraid i'm going to shoot the dam thing,and it is'nt mine anymore. Trye to talk ndy out of it but he just ho humed around awhile then told me i could use it

kg42
06-19-2006, 06:54 PM
Toney, the higher speeds are similar to Hodgdon's data:
http://www.hodgdon.com/data/cowboy/spc44mag.php
but I don't know about the spread... I think that if you are too close the chrony will tell you funny higher speeds but that doesn't explain the low ones....

If I remember, you tumble lube your 44's... Next time you get a chance to use the chrony could you compare speeds between liquid alox and ordinary lube? Any caliber will do if the 44 is a TL design.
Thanks in advance :)

kg