PDA

View Full Version : Anybody using HS6?

doghawg
06-13-2006, 11:59 PM
I see some of the gun writers use HS6 in mid-range loads in the the big boomers..........475 and .500's. I hesitate to stock yet another powder and am wondering if anyone has used this stuff. Does it have any advantages over Blue Dot? How about temperature/position sensitivity? How about load density?

Mid range loads interest me and I'd appreciate any opinions. Thanks

Randy

C1PNR
06-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Not a lot of help, but I have used HS-6 in my .44 Special and .45 Colt. Only reason I tried it is that a fellow I knew gave it to me.

I answered a knock at the door one Saturday morning to find this fellow, looking a little shaken, offering me an almost full one pound can of HS-6. FREE! Being the nice guy I am, I accepted his offer.:-D

Later I found out that he had loaded some "Hot" loads for his .38 Special and then proceeded to blow the top of the cylinder and the top strap of the pistol clean off!:shock: And we ALL know it was the fault of the powder, not the loader, don't we!:wink:

klausg
06-27-2006, 07:07 PM
I've used Win 540, which is effectively the same stuff with a different label in .38/.357 Mag, a lot, like C1PNR I was given a pound of it for free. However, my friend hadn't blown anything up with it, just quit re-loading shot shells. I got a lot of unburned powder with the stuff, but it was free so I wasn't going to complain. My buddy who gave it to me said it was a bear to get the stuff to burn well with shot shells also. Maybe the Hodgdon version has better ignition, haven't tried that. Hopefully this helps.

-Klaus

kg42
06-27-2006, 09:07 PM
C1PNR, you are so unlucky.... I was once given ammunition by a handloader who was afraid he had made them too hot and didn't want to shoot them in his gun..:???: .
At least he kind of mumble it up front, whereas yours could have given you one of these factory special Easter Eggs, like Bullseye camouflaged as Unique...

kg