PDA

View Full Version : Fillers in a .375 H&H cast???d-o-k may need your help!

klausg
05-31-2006, 11:35 PM
Hey Gang-

kg42, versifier& myself have been discussing this under the 'Hunting Chatter' category, and I thought I should start this up over here and possibly get more input, (hey if I haven't said it yet thanks you two:-D ). The part of that thread that really needs to be in this section began when discussing my .375 H&H that has been collecting dust for awhile, (I have a herniated disk in my neck that pinches the nerves of either arm, particularily when I do stupid things like shooting too many Mag rifle loads). We got to talking about a cast bullet load for it and my comment was that the H&H has a powder capacity about like a coffee can and the 18-20 grs of pistol powder that Lyman has you dumping in there looks very lonely down there @ the bottom. So I asked the question about fillers, having seen many warnings, (especially in the Cowboy Action load data), about using/not using them. kg42 has since put in another reply w/ an IMR 3031 load that looks to have some promise, at least there seems to be enough powder in there that'll it'll look a little less lonely down in the bottom of the coffee can, (thanks again bro:-D ). So, I guess my question is this:

a) Does anyone have any suggestions to this dilemma? d-o-k, I still have your 'plinking load' for a 300 grainer somewhere; have you done anything in cast?

I'm mainly looking at punching holes in paper, but would like to be able to do bear/moose @ around 150 yds. Thanks in advance.

-SSG Klaus

kodiak1
06-01-2006, 03:55 AM
If you are going to use cast try going with 5744 it is a good powder for reduced loads. If you want to use a filler you would probably have no problems there either. I would have to drag out my books to find a load amount to give you but if your interested let me know and I can look that up for you
Ken.

d-o-k
06-01-2006, 11:31 AM
My fav 300gn cast plinkin load is 40.2 gns of H4895 it's nice & easy on the shoulder
as for case fillers I have been taught over the years that this is a bad practice ! But on saying this I have read in several articals of using draycon (the stuff they fill cheap pillows with ) As a matter of intrest a Mate of mine has gone down as far as 36gns of H4895 with the 300 gn in his 375 H&H hope this helps

Dave

JudgeBAC
06-10-2006, 04:08 PM
You might try calling IMR and find out if Trail Boss would work for the .375. It is a very bulky powder suitable for light loads. Originally designed for cowboy action shooting, it is used in small calibers up to .45-70. I dont know why it wouldnt work in light loads for the .375. I would call and ask. I believe IMR is now owned by Hogdon.

d-o-k
06-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Welcome to the site Judge ! Your right on the money about Hodgdon taking over IMR. I don't know whether this is a good thing or a bad thing? They have also a controling intrest in our local Powder manufacter ADI which is about the only Powder that is readily avalible to us here in AUZ now (there are the occastional shipments of IMR )

Dave