PDA

View Full Version : Got off my duff...

RiverRider
02-19-2014, 02:45 PM
Around Christmas I made a little swap with my nephew and ended up with a Ruger New Model flat top in .44 Mag. I've always liked the flat top and would like to have one in .41 and .357 also.

Anyway, it had been a long long time since I cast any bullets but I sat down last night and got started with a brand new 429421 mold. It took a while to get it going but I finally started getting good bullets and made about 160 of them. Casting is one of those funny activities that I am loathe to begin but hate to stop once I get rolling. I'll probably go on a casting binge over the next month or so.

Anyway, a while back I located a source for some Scot 4100, which I believe to be the same as Accurate 4100 and Ramshot Enforcer. It's some pretty old powder and has lost most of its ether odor but doesn't smell odd in any way. I got it for a very good price, especially considering the general unavailability of powders lately. I'll be loading some of this up for trials this weekend. I've got a supply of 2400 on hand if the 4100 doesn't work out but I don't expect any difficulty. I think the 4100 will work in either .357 or .41 if push comes to shove.

Anyone else practicing the black art lately?

Hellrazor
02-19-2014, 11:28 PM
No lead stuff here. A friend of mine came across a crapload of lead bullets, bulk lead, etc in a deal he made for jacketed stuff at an estate sale. He has no use for the lead, doesn't seem to want it, is afraid of lead fouling and yet I still can't get it from him. If I did I would consider buying the equipment.

Scot? I think you need to wear a kilt to shoot that...

RiverRider
02-20-2014, 01:43 AM
Ain't that the drizzlin' $h!t$. I can't understand folks who hold onto stuff they don't want to use, it's almost like they're AFRAID of someone else getting use out of it. I'll never understand that mentality.

Just finished the loading project for my trials with this Blackhawk. It's been a danged long time since I fired a magnum revolver. Maybe I should warm up with the old New Frontier when I'm ready to git 'er done.

As far as attire goes, I think I can find a skirt around here that would pass for a kilt. Not sure it would be a plaid pattern though. Think a striped pattern or tweed would be a problem?

BBerguson
02-20-2014, 02:57 AM
I plan on doing some casting when the weather breaks. My son is into it so all I really have to do is get him started...

Need to modify my Lee dripper, er, I mean Lee Furnace. I'm going to drill a hole under the nozzle so the drips don't accumulate under it. I'll let it drip below and not clog up the mold area...

BB

RiverRider
02-20-2014, 03:21 AM
Berg, if your furnace is like mine there's a straight-slot on the...uhhh...that part that works like a needle valve. I keep a screwdriver handy when I'm casting and when the spout starts to dribble I use the screwdriver to work the needle valve thing CW/CCW, back and forth a half dozen times to loosen the debris in the spout. It usually stops dripping then. At least for a while.