PDA

View Full Version : Sierra or Speer?

30-40 Kraig
02-14-2014, 06:52 PM
I am looking to purchase some .224 bullets for my AR. I have not shot Speer in years and one to try mostly for old time sake.
But seriously What do you guys prefer The 55 gr Sierra SP or the Speer HP TNT 55 gr.
Moslty will by used for coyote and prairie dogs.

versifier
02-14-2014, 08:41 PM
It isn't what our rifles like that matters. Feed yours a good selection of bullets and powders and see what it likes. Powder may even be more important, depends on the rifle. Ask it. Powder choice is more limited with the semi auto action. What's the barrel's twist? It might like something heavier than 55gr, too.

I've used 55gr GK's in both .223 and .22-250 bolt actions with good results out to 400yds on coyotes and large dogs, so the bullet works. Cup and core bullets have limits, but 150lb dogs @ 3-400yds doesn't exceed them with a chest hit. But the opinions of my rifles as to the bullet's accuracy mean nothing to your rifle. Try some and ask it. That said I do not have a rifle right now that doesn't prefer a Sierra bullet over a Speer of the same weight on paper. You may find a rifle from time to time that likes and shoots another brand better, but it will always be close. As to comparing their performance on varmints, with a good hit it shouldn't make any difference, dead is dead. GK bullets are just as accurate as the MK's too in most of my hunting rifles (no POI shift either) and you could sometimes find them in bulk, don't know about that these days. MK's would be fine for little critters, I don't know what they would do to something dog sized.

30-40 Kraig
02-14-2014, 09:24 PM
I am leaning toward the Sierra's. Just from past performance. I think the nostalgia thing is getting me to thinking about he speers. I can get some Sierra GK, and there are some 64 gr Winchester bullets I want to try as well. The rifle has a 1:8 twist and 24 inch barrel. Should be a good shooter. Or at least I have been told.

DrHenley
02-14-2014, 10:46 PM
Sierra have been more consistent and seem to have higher quality control.

About the only time I have bought Speers, it was because they were real cheap, or because I couldn't find any Sierras (which seems to be a recurring theme).

That being said, the Speers are good bullets.

picklehead
02-14-2014, 11:14 PM
I don't know much about Speer TNT's other than the 90grn ones that Tim V sent me a year or more ago in .264.Them suckers fly like a dream and blow a milk jug full of water into three or four pieces at 200 to 400 yards.Im a huge sierra fan and never had much luck with the 46 or 64grn win pills for outstanding accuracy.My CZ has a 1-10 twist and tried many differ bullets in it.Here is what it liked best but means nothing to your auto/1-8 twist.

Berger 40,50,55 Hp fb,Nosler 55grn ballistic silver tip,NBT 55grn,Sierra 55grn in most all makes and 4198,varget and H322 for all bullets.Seen BenchMark,Ball C2/BLC2,H335 and 4895 work great also.Who knows and it depends on your idea of accuracy and how much damage you want on the pelts if you save them.I used the 52grn Match bullets for years and sometimes,THEY TARE UP HECK.The 69grn SMK and VARGET might just be the ticket for that rifle.Ive heard a lot of good results with that combo with slower twist rifles.

TCupps from the old RLB was testing a lot of differ things with his CZ and the 69gr SMK's with Varget was walking the dog.Cant remember if his twist was 1-10 or 1-12 or 1-8 but knowing CZ's like I do it was more than likely 1-10 or 1-12.Yea it was a bolt gun but he was getting SUB/SUB MOA at 200 or 300 yards easy.

Good luck and just try a few differ things/let your rifle decide the accuracy department and the yote or what ever pelts to show you if its the right or wrong bullet for damage.

BBerguson
02-14-2014, 11:49 PM
I'm a Sierra man myself... Have you shot the stag yet? I'm itching to get mine out...

elkhunter77
03-11-2014, 10:50 PM
I will also go with the Sierras. I have had quite a few problems with consistency with Speer over the years. Seems that went to Hell about the time old Vern died. Customer service from Sierra is probably the best in the business. You can get good answers to any questions you might have from their technical staff if you needed it. I would not try that with Speer.
A few years ago I was messing with loads in pistols that shot two or three lead balls. I would mash them down and run them thru a bullet sizer, then stack them. I made them in 38, 357, 41, 44 and 45 colt. I needed some powder charge help and Speer told me it could not be done. Sierra gave me a start charge and a few other tips. Great people there and it did not involve any of their bullets. Those loads worked great BTW, made good defense loads LOL

j1
03-25-2014, 10:38 PM
First of all lets remain polite. Do I say hey 30 40 or Mr Kraig? I posted about politics and may have driven Mike Gross away single handedly. I used to enjoy his posts about lion and bears. Sort of suprised no big critter ever got him.

Mark is completely correct though. The Sierra techies are superb. Knowledgable helpful and polite. And you need not even be asking about Sierra products either.

versifier
03-25-2014, 11:16 PM
They seem to have an attitude of "if we don't know what you need, you've got us curious and we'll get back to you when we've figured something out". They have a TON of wildcat data, all you have to do is ask for it and if they have any data or other info on the cartridge you're interested in, you have it the next day.

30-40 Kraig
03-26-2014, 12:33 PM
J1, or anybody for that matter can call me Kraig. I acquired a box of 55 gr sierra's from the old man. He is retired and has a lot of time now to purchase various components and such. I am also planning on getting some 62 gr Winchesters, and some 55 gr Nosler varmageddons. I have some powder on hands thank god. Because I sure can't find any on store shelves. It's getting to the point that I might have to make my own powder. I am still waiting for the gun. Maybe will have it by the time prairie dog season gets here. I have been told that it is a 500 yard gun so for me that means it is a 300 yard gun till I practice some. The gunsmith putting the scope on it will probably have a fit when he sees the scope I have is a cheap Simmons. It came with a Savage that I now have a Leupold on.

J1, I don't think it was just you that ran MG off. A lot of people got pretty heated on the politics during the 2008 election. At one time I had his email address but I don't think I do now. I would like to here his take on the Ukraine situation.

j1
03-28-2014, 02:15 PM
Mike was an interesting ol cossak. I'll bet he could give Putin sleepless nights, just in case our pouty president can't. Our country could produce enough natural gas so that we could convert our cars the way Japan did so that we would need no crude. However once again it is politics which will not let us solve our own problems. How much are the politicians getting paid off by the big oil companies to maintain the status quo? Money talks and bull shit walks. Big money talks louder.

Now what was the question again? Definitely Sierra. Accurate cheap and superb customer service. We gotta pay those techies. They have answered any question I ever had.

j1
04-09-2014, 06:08 PM
V I refuse to converse with a rifle. I have talked to my motorcycle a few times though. It was a 1970 Triumph Bonneville. Now when that honey talked everyone could hear her. Ah for the good old days. Well I still have my 06 if I need her and a new friend my Contender 30 30.