PDA

View Full Version : Let it SNOW, please!

Clayt
02-12-2014, 12:08 PM
This weekend I'm helping with the radio communications for the Sandwich NH Sled Dog Races and it looks like there should be plenty of snow!
I need you southern boys to push that storm system NORTH as extra insurance!

I figured when Skykid moved from NH to SC we'd get little snow this year but it's turning out to be a good snowmobiling year.

The forecast calls for 6-12" tomorrow into Friday morning. That will freshen up the race course for Saturday! [smilie=w:

SkyKid
02-12-2014, 12:59 PM
Hey Clayt
The whole state of South Carolina is shutting down even before the snow hits
I went to work this am at 5:30 and the place was locked up tight
The road are dry and they are calling for 2 to 7 inches of snow
and maybe some icing
It's funny how different it is here compared to NH
Yesterday at work I thought the place was filled with a bunch of little kids at school waiting to be sent home because it was snowing out and sticking to the ground but melting on the roads
Guess I'll have to learn all them southern boys how to drive in the snow

30-40 Kraig
02-12-2014, 08:52 PM
We have had about a foot of the white stuff in the last 10 days. It is now going to be 65 this weekend and turn everything into slush and mud.
Its going to feel like spring. :)[smilie=p:

Hellrazor
02-12-2014, 09:50 PM
This weather sucks. Some of the forecasts put us in the bulleye areas for the storm. Forecasts from 6-10, 6-12, 8-12, 8-14, 12-18. blah... 2 days of plowing hell again.

Clayt
02-13-2014, 12:30 AM
I know is sucks swamp water for some and I have to clean it up too, but not 2 days worth. Maybe 3 hours, then I get to play on it.

picklehead
02-13-2014, 01:37 AM
Its pouring it here and got about 5 inches now in under 4 hours.I love it and see a snow day off from work tomorrow.This year has been nuts and will be 42 to 50 starting Friday.I bet Sky and Doc has seen some idoits at their best.I know SkyKid is used to it but them people down south hardly knows what snow or ice is other than a snow cone or freezy pop.Not picking on you DOC but yall know what I mean.I have a 4x4 with good tires but respect the snow,black ice a lot.Never busted my butt yet and drive slow along with staying 100 yards off of the person in front of me.Had a woman riding my Azz coming home today and would have loved to stopped and smacked her right in the head or jerked the plug wires off of her car.I truly hate that with a passion wether man,woman or youngsters.HAVE FUN AND BE SAFE

DrHenley
02-13-2014, 01:49 AM
MANY years ago I ventured out on the ice very carefully. I ended up losing control in a turn and flattened a stop sign. I haven't driven on the ice since. I bought a used Suzuki Samuri a number of years ago and kept it way past its prime just so I'd have a nimble 4WD to use in the snow, but that was during the warm years and I never got the chance to try it out on snow and ice.

RiverRider
02-13-2014, 02:02 AM
Believe it or not, we got snow enough to cover all the streets and highways thoroughly about every couple of years in El Paso when I was young. One of my favorite things to do when that happened was to pick up a buddy and a twelve pack or two and cruise all over El Paso County going sideways. I've driven thousands of miles on ice and snow and I can't say I never spun, but I never damaged a vehicle on ice or snow---or rain for that matter. I've definitely had some interesting moments, though.

When I lived in Idaho, where folks ought to know better, I'd see 4 wheel drive pickups going 70 down the interstate on packed snow and ice. Those folks ought to have known better, but I suppose there are knotheads wherever you go!

SkyKid
02-13-2014, 12:09 PM
I went to work this morning at 5:30am
Place was closed
They didn't post the delayed opening until after I left
I just check the website and they are opening at 9:30am
They claimed they posted it at 4:40am that was bullspit
It wasn't there are 4:55am
I left at 5:00am so I left them a bunch of doughnut in the parking lot
Maybe I'll call in today and tomorrow I have a doctor appointment so I think I'll have a 3 day weekend kinda sorta

picklehead
02-14-2014, 09:19 PM
We got almost 20 inches and its 53 here now.My driveway is a mess and for the life of me have no idea why the neighbor scraped half my stone off.He will fix it but all he needed to do was knock it down to about a few inches and the sun would have done the rest.Guess id better go retrieve my four wheeler.Its stuck on the mountain after my,got to go riding Thursday night.Had a long walk home but had fun.

Hellrazor
02-14-2014, 09:48 PM
This freakin sucks. 18-20" of snow. Plowed 20 hours at work between the last 2 days and another 5 at home and with the neighbors. Another 2-4 or 3-5" tonight.

We killed a Fisher Vplow. Pivot pin came out while one of the guys was plowing. Bent the A-Frame, light frame and put a crease in the hydraulic reservoir. I bet that will be $2000 to fix. A seal blew on the one loader cylinder and that is down for repairs. Then today the one main pin for the 3 point snow blower snapped. So the whole loader is useless front and back.

RiverRider
02-14-2014, 11:54 PM
http://culledculture.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/screen-shot-2014-01-03-at-9-23-10-am.png?w=416

Hellrazor
02-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Yup... back to the plowing. Snow is almost over. Another 4" of wet snow. Someone should shoot that freakin groundhog for predicting another 6 weeks of winter.

Clayt
02-18-2014, 11:07 PM
Saturday's weather was fantastic. The snow on the mountains was illuminated as the sun came up painting a picture only a poet could describe.

We did our part at the Dog sled races. We tagged behind the 45 mile mushers on snowmobiles.

Pretty routine stuff, until 1 musher took a wrong turn about 20 miles into the race!

We were flagged down and told "He went thataway about 10 mins ago!" So I had to find a radio hot spot to call in "Musher left the race course" and the location. That gave him 10 more minutes lead. Utoh, he was headed downhill and making good time.

I stopped a couple of snowmobiles and asked if they had seen the runaway team. First group said "He's a mile ahead", next group said "He's 3 miles ahead of you" at that point my wife pulled out all the stops and said "I'll call you on the radio when I catch up to him!" I didn't here from her for 20 mins.

We crossed 3 roads that weren't part of the race so they did not have traffic control people there. I shutter to think how the dog team crossed! We stopped traffic for the return up the mountain to get back on the race course.

The 53 year old, Quebec Game Warden, musher decided to complete the course. He was very kind to his dogs as was off the sled pushing it up every hill, pushing with one foot on flat ground and slowing the sled downhill so the dogs didn't over exert themselves. His times were even as good as the winner through the rest of the course. I expect he would have won that race if there wasn't that mishap. I assume that there were people blocking the signs with their snowmobiles when he came through the intersection. It could happen to anyone.

My wife and I spent 8 hours on the sleds, we returned home @ 7:30PM. It was too difficult to see 9:30PM.

We were up at 5AM on Sunday and headed back to Sandwich Notch, this time for a pleasure ride over to Plymouth, about a 75 mile round trip.
This was the best snow we had seen in 3 years!

It's snowing now, 9.5 inches so far and it's got a few hours left to go. I live in New Hampshire's snow belt on purpose, I ain't complaining!

Hellrazor
02-18-2014, 11:42 PM
I like snow but I don't like this years storms. I am up to around $4000 in repairs to our equipment at work. We are over 60" for the year which is about 10" under the all time record.

I order salt based on our "worst case scenario" year. Gone. I had to reorder 50% more and 25% is used already.

My 4 truck fleet was down to 2 trucks on saturday. One guy blew a cylinder because of a broken weld on one wing about 5 minutes into plowing and was done for the day. Then the other truck went down for about an hour until my guys could engineer a fix to 2 broken U bolts and a broken chain. Now I have FrankenPlow made up of parts from the 2 trashed plows and a $5300 bill for a replacement plow.

I am going to be at least $15,000 over budget on snow related things. The board will love that.....

picklehead
02-19-2014, 03:16 AM
Trade you some mud for snow.56 here today and 18.7 of snow is 4" of mud

j1
02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Seems like a lot of the old crew is here. Yippee. Been plowing my driveway and parking area for a long time this year. Got a four wheel drive tractor with a bucket loader so I CAN plow. Just love diesel.

Hellrazor
02-19-2014, 11:33 PM
Pickle, next week is back to high temps under 30 all week and down in the teens again. Your mud will turn back to ice. We still have 2-3' on the ground.

Clayt
02-22-2014, 01:32 AM
It's been above freezing for 3 days now. I'm getting 8" of slush from my driveway.
Snow is still very deep, over my knees when I walked across the lawn to roof rake my camper.

DrHenley
02-22-2014, 03:07 AM
I think spring has sprung here. It feels just like March out there already.

Clayt
02-22-2014, 02:52 PM
I'm sure "Spring" is still a few weeks away here.
We will have quite a "Mud Season" with all this snow. The frost is deep this year too.

Could I use NH mud for ballistic testing? :???:

j1
02-28-2014, 03:38 PM
Anyone wanting snow stop on over (in your pickup) and I will even lend you a shovel of use the front end loader if it starts.

Hellrazor
02-28-2014, 08:51 PM
Hey j1, another foot or so of snow again Sunday through Monday night. Must be the start of an ice age...

Clayt
03-04-2014, 11:58 AM
oh -7 degrees this morning!

DrHenley
03-04-2014, 01:17 PM
Sunday afternoon it was in the 80s here. My son and I went on a bicycle ride for the first time this year. LOL! My daughter called me last night from Nashville and asked if it was snowing here because they were getting a good dusting up there. We were still shirtsleeves weather. It did cool off a little overnight feels almost like winter out there again today.

Hellrazor
03-04-2014, 09:50 PM
No snow storm for the weekend. The polar vortex formerly known as a freaking cold front pushed the storm way south of us. So the 12-18" became a dusting of snow. Was a balmy 3F this morning.

Clayt
03-24-2014, 12:02 PM
I rode snomo from Twin Mountain to Lancaster and back again yesterday, about 90 miles. Mid winter conditions with no sign of spring. I got some good Mt Washington pictures in the sun. The trail conditions were GREAT!!!! We pushed the 45mph speed limit down the oil pipeline trail!

The central lakes region + south western parts of NH got the lions share of this years snowfall. Concord NH stands @ +80" (+10" above normal) with more coming Wednesday.

3 degrees at my house this morning. Local trails still rideable but I'm getting bored of them so we trailer to new + less familiar areas.

This has been a banner year for snowmobiling.

Hellrazor
03-24-2014, 07:57 PM
wait for the banner year for mudding.

Clayt
03-26-2014, 06:29 PM
I wait until my driveway get REALLY muddy, then I order cheap stuff on Amazon and have UPS deliver it.
Last time I made $50 pulling him out! (I only charge my wife $25)

RiverRider
03-27-2014, 12:09 AM
That's awesome, Clayt! But why ya goin' so easy on the wife??

Hellrazor
03-27-2014, 08:08 PM
He asked for a BJ or $25..... [smilie=1:

Clayt
03-28-2014, 12:04 AM
That's awesome, Clayt! But why ya goin' so easy on the wife??

she has access to my food without supervision!

j1
03-29-2014, 07:51 PM
Pickle quit yer bitchin. My neighbors do not plow my driveway. Just show him how to set those plow levelers on the front of his plow.

Clayt
04-03-2014, 11:01 AM
In my driveway we went from 4x4 need due to ice, to 4x4 needed for mud in 12 hours!
I still have 1-2' of snow where it's not plowed.
I will be holding white water rafting trips in the driveway if it warms up fast. :-)

j1
05-26-2014, 01:42 PM
The first rule of winter camping is do not eat the yellow snow. The Boy Scouts of America.

j1
05-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Pickle if you do not set the skid plates on the plow correctly your gravel ends up on the sides of your drive.

j1
05-30-2014, 01:47 PM
I say the same prayer for snow that the serfs used to say for the Czar. "May the Lord bless and keep the Czar, far far away.". May it never snow again in northeast Pa.

Hellrazor
05-30-2014, 08:39 PM
So its your fault I bought a $5800 replacement plow at work and then it didn't snow anymore?