PDA

View Full Version : Rossi trigger work

gooser
05-21-2006, 04:21 PM
Has anyone done any trigger work to the Rossi single rifle? The factory pull on this trigger is too heavy for serious long range shooting.
Any suggestions?
:?

versifier
05-21-2006, 05:45 PM
Welcome to the forum.
This is about triggers in general, not just about your Rossi specifically. It's not a difficult job, but it is really something that you need to be shown how to do by a competent gunsmith. (Not all of them like an audience, so maybe a video would work.) The problem is that if you get a little carried way with stones, easy to do if you've never done it, you end up with something dangerous. What you can do that should make a difference in the feel but not necessarily the weight of pull is to polish the metal surfaces using a dremel tool, cloth tip, and some VERY Fine carbide grinding compound. Try the technique on scraps of differing hardness first to get a feel for it. Stay away from the engagement notches, just concentrate on the flats. Thoroughly clean the parts afterward. That should help with the creep and gritty feeling. I have found that a smooth trigger makes it seem like the weight is cut in half, even if the trigger pull gage says it hasn't. It makes the biggest difference in a double action revolver, but I have had good results also with milsurps and single shot rifles and shotguns. Nowadays, I am more inclined to bring it to a gunsmith to be lightened - I really messed one up when I first started and had to replace the whole unit, a much more expensive mistake today than thirty years ago. I had a friend at the time who was quite good at it, taught me how, but convinced me by demonstrating that a good polishing often made it unnecessary. I have found it to be true with only a handful of exceptions, and I have sent most of those out - admitting honestly that it takes practice and better eyesight for close work than I now have for it to be more than just a trial and error thing. I would polish it first, then bring it to a professional if it still isn't what you need.
If you really want to learn how to do it, though, learn on a milsurp that you can easily get a replacement for small cost.

gooser
05-28-2006, 05:45 PM
well thanks versifier, I probably will take it to a gunsmith, but perhaps as you say,maybe just a simple polish will do the trick. I recently shot a 2 inch group at 300 yds , so that could be just the ticket.
Thanks again.
gooser