PDA

View Full Version : Remington R51

DrHenley
02-04-2014, 09:55 PM
This new Remington pistol has caught my fancy. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because it's a REMINGTON pistol...

Their first foray back into making pistols didn't really excite me much. Another 1911? Really? Sounded like a "ME TOO" thing. But this is different!

I'm not even a Remington fan. In fact I don't currently even own a Remington of any kind. But I gotta hand it to Remington stepping out like this and coming up with something out of the ordinary.

versifier
02-04-2014, 10:16 PM
It reminds me of a .22 that was on the market many years back. The name escapes me, they stopped making new parts for my rememberer a long time ago, but the smooth curves and lines of this one reminds me of it.

I have a number of older Remington rifles and shotguns, but they haven't made anything in a very long time that has interested me. I will be curious to hear reports on it. It is a looker, but the last time a went for a looker on impulse I ended up with a nasty case of..... oh, never mind.

fryboy
02-04-2014, 10:17 PM
actually log ago .... remington made a few pistols then ,sadly, they quit for many a year , the above one kind of reminds me of james bond's gun ( PPK IIRC tho he originally started out with a beretta 418 ) the remington is smooth enough to be sexy !!

Clayt
02-11-2014, 02:41 AM
I see a little Buck Rodgers in there too.
I'd like to feel one in the flesh, hopefully it won't be too long before the local wallet vacuum has them in stock.

~Clayt

RiverRider
02-11-2014, 06:01 PM
I always thought the original 51 in .380 would be a decent pocket pistol. It was really slim and looked like it would be very easy to conceal. Not a .380 fan by any stretch, but there are times you just can't (or maybe I should just speak for myself??) hide a 1911 on you. The criticism I've seen on the new 51 is that it's actually quite large, by today's standards, for a pistol in .380 ACP. I have yet to see one up close and personal, though.

Vers, I wonder if you aren't thinking of the Whitney Wolverine...

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Sporting%20Rifles/Whitney%20Arms/Whitney%20Wolverine/The%20Whitney%20Wolverine.jpg

Clayt
02-11-2014, 08:08 PM
The new 51s are 9mm +p, check the chamber stamp on Docs picture above.
~Clayt

RiverRider
02-11-2014, 09:02 PM
Sure enough, Clayt. I'm not sure I've seen it mentioned...if I did I wasn't paying attention. I guess that gives it excuse enough to weigh a few more ounces than the old 51s. Those came in .32as well as .380 ACP, IIRC.

versifier
02-11-2014, 11:33 PM
RR, where do you get parts for your rememberer? It works a lot better than mine does. That's the pistol.

RiverRider
02-12-2014, 12:21 AM
I forget, Vers. Sorry! :wink:

DrHenley
02-12-2014, 12:50 AM
but there are times you just can't (or maybe I should just speak for myself??) hide a 1911 on you.[/img]

LOL! I just realized that you probably left the RLB before I SAW THE LIGHT and became a 1911 fan.

I tried carrying a full sized 1911, and then went to a Commander length, and finally got this Sig Ultra Carry, which I CAN hide very effectively in a cargo pocket:

RiverRider
02-12-2014, 02:31 AM
I seem to recall the 1911 thing, Doc. My offer to lend you my Ed Brown sear jig is still good!

DrHenley
02-12-2014, 03:05 AM
Ok, the dormant brain cells are stirring a little now...I remember...

That Colt has been broken in now. Let's see if I can remember everything...I opened the ejection port, reshaped the ejector face (per Sam's instructions), polished the throat, replaced the barrel, bushing, mainspring, recoil spring, sights, mag release, extractor, grips, and mags. And I discovered that COLT branded mags work flawlessly in it (they are actually Checkmates). And after fiddling with it for two years, I finally got it to the point where I could make it through an entire IDPA match without a jam. Of course I only used it in one match, just to see if I could. :-?

It still wants to pop me in the forehead every once in a while with an empty, but other than that it's running pretty good.