PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding Small Pistol Primers

Canuck44
05-13-2006, 02:24 PM
I bought a 1,000 Win Small Pistol Magnum primers. My question is can I use them in p[lace of regular Win Small Pistol Primers? Experience?

Take Care

versifier
05-13-2006, 04:47 PM
You don't say in what case you want to use them, but IIRC, they were developed for better ignition with heavy charges in .357mag. I have used them without problems in .38spec, 9mm, .380, and .40S&W when low on the regulars. Plinking accuracy was acceptable on reactive targets, but I wasn't shooting bullseye or even paper so I wasn't measuring group sizes. They don't affect function in semi-autos adversely.

Canuck44
05-13-2006, 07:53 PM
9MM and 38 Spl are the two most common cartridges I'll be using them in. If the store won't replace them I'll go with them anyway. Thanks for the reply.

Bob

Bullshop
05-14-2006, 05:05 PM
I bought a 1,000 Win Small Pistol Magnum primers. My question is can I use them in p[lace of regular Win Small Pistol Primers? Experience?

Take Care
Oh yes you certanly can use them but there are a couple cautions.
#1 If you were at or very near a max load you may have to back down a bit if you sub with the mag.
#2 Some small cap cases that normaly work at standard not mag pressures will just be more accurate with the standerd rather than the mag primer.
The mag's come into thier own at pressures above 30,000 psi and with ball powders.
Since mag primers have thicker cups than standerd some small frame autoes with low firing pin energy may fail to fire them.
Best way to learn this stuff is just shoot, shoot, shoot!
BIC/BS

Canuck44
05-14-2006, 08:18 PM
My loads are 4.4 to 4.7 gr Unique under 125 gr Lead boolits in 9MM so I should be good to go. Thanks again for the replies. I have a new Tanfoglio coming for IPSC and IDPA so the primers will be consumed rather quickly.

Take Care

Bob