PDA

View Full Version : MEC 650 refitting

LeSellers
09-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Howdy, all,

I bought an MEC 650, 12 Ga reloader and a reconditioner on eBay a few months ago. The reconditioner seems fine (although I am too ignorant to judge that yet). The reloader, though, had a few missing parts (not noticeable in the photos). The problem is, I don't know which parts are missing, just that, for instance, the detente spring and ball must not be there since the turret won't lock in place. Some parts are worn enough to require replacement. In short, the thing won't work as is. (Not that it matters much: I can't find powder, wadding, or primers, so reloading ain't gonna happen for a while. I can cast 00 buck shot and 1 oz slugs, but at this point, when I run out of factory ammo, they won't be much more than sling shot ammo.)

I've looked on the MEC site and downloaded their assembly diagram for the machine, but there's too little detail to make out all the parts.

Any idea where I can get some insights into this? I called Mayville Engineering Company and talked with them, sent a series of photos of the machine as stripped down as far as I know how to do it, but no luck there.

Also, it seems that I'll need a lot of different charge bars and powder bushings to make up a wide variety of loads. Seems more complicated than "the book" made it sound. Am I getting needlessly wrapped around the axle here? This shouldn't be as complicated as it seems from where I am standing right now.

TX,
Le

versifier
09-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Have you tried UTUBE for videos of takedown and maintenance? I haven't gone and looked specifically for MEC stuff, but they have videos there of hundreds of different loading tools in operation and it would be the first place I'd look.

You only need to buy the adjustable charge bar (but it does help to have a scale for when you're adjusting it). They cost about $40 + shipping at midway and there's one for your model press. No dozens of special shot bars and powder bushings to buy.