PDA

View Full Version : Browning A-Bolt Composite Stalker

Bghunter338
04-20-2006, 01:33 AM
My favorite rifle has always been my Browning in the 338 win mag. I have had good luck using Barnes x bullets in it. My personal favorite is the 160gr x bullet loaded with 68Gr's of IMR 4064 I get about 3359 fps out of it. Which makes it a pretty flat shooter. Been thinking of trying the triple shock x bullet in 185gr. But if you have something that works great already why change. So I'm still thinking about it. Does any one else like the 338 win? Michael.

klausg
04-20-2006, 07:57 PM
BG- I like the .338, though your choice of bullet is a little light for my taste. Living in Alaska, (and getting older), has made me appreciate really big bullets moving at more modest velocities. Still the .338 is nice, though I prefer my .375 H&H; of the two I'd rather shoot the .375 off the bench as the recoil isn't nearly as sharp. How do you like the X-bullets? I have been interested for awhile; I loaded a bunch of 130gr 6.5mm TSX's for my nephew's .260 Rem, but haven't gotten any reports back from him yet. I am quite sure that they'll do a number on the Missouri whitetails wher he is. I would go ahead and develop a load for the 185's, if nothing else it gives you an excuse for more range time not to mention tinkering at the reloading bench. Believe me though, the first time you see a brown bear up close & personal, you'll wish you had 225's or 250's. Anyway, best of luck with your endeavors

Bghunter338
04-21-2006, 03:39 AM
I think your nephew will love the 130gr. Thats what I load in my wifes 270 win. People are finding that the tsx's are producing tighter groups at the range. To give you an example of the Barnes bullets effectiveness, my wife shoot a mule deer at 204 yards with her 270 down hill. She hit it low in the back and I found that bullet in the deer's calf. Thats about two feet of travel. And the bullet didn't lose a grain of weight. My dad and I got deer tags for Montana this year and I'm going to load his 308 Norma up with 165 gr Tsx's. I will let you know what comes about from the range. Michael.

d-o-k
05-01-2006, 08:52 AM
I reckon that the .338 really lends itself to the use of the heavier bullet weights & the 185 gn would be the lightest on my list ! It hits hard with great stopping ability ! I think it is one of the best choices in the heavy 30's .

Dave