PDA

View Full Version : Blackpowder load for 200grn 45 Colt

Lobo
04-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I'm currently shooting 28 grains with a 230-250 grain RNFP in 45 Schofield brass. While the load is manageable in the handgun it still has a substanial enough recoil such that it's too slow for f/u shots in the cowboy matches that I shoot in. I though maybe by using a lighter/200grain RNFP that I might accomplish that.However, I realized that A) the bullet is shorter and hence need more powder in the shell and B) there just doesn't appear to be a big enough lube ring to carry enough lube to keep the fouling soft. C) I'd like to use a 45 Colt cartridge case with a 200 grain bullet for the rifle shooting but will probably have the same problems. Any suggestion from the cowboy shooters out there? Thanks LOBO

kg42
04-13-2006, 01:25 AM
Hi LOBO, I'll shoot from the hip as I don't know your components:

Could you crimp the bullets at the base of the ogive rather than in the crimp groove? It would reduce the powder volume.

Could you use some other grade of powder for less kick?

What's your lube? They are a few BP friendly and simple home made recipes that you could try (I would have to dig them up at home).
The castboolits forum next door would probably bring you some answers there.

kg

Dale53
04-16-2006, 11:19 PM
A few years ago, I was loading for the .45 Colt (Ruger Vaquero) with black powder. I ran chrono tests on Swiss 1 1/2 and 2f, Goex 2F and 3F, and Elephant 2f and 3F. From the lowest to the fastest with a 250 gr bullet there was a spread of 250 fps!

Elephant 2F was the slowest by a bunch. That is a simple answer if Elephant is still available.

FWIW
Dale53