PDA

View Full Version : Scopes to put holes in paper? any ideas

JBMauser
04-10-2006, 03:51 AM
Got my email, stopped by. Have a question. My eyes seem to be migrating to scopes. I do not need low light accumulation or coatings. I shoot at the range, mid day, fair weather at 100 200 yds, I doubt I need a scope I could use as a hammer if I needed to drive a nail. so how low on the food chain can I go $$ and still get results. Also I do not fire magnum or even max loads, normal jacketed loads and cast. Any recomendations. from .22 to .30cal. JB

kg42
04-10-2006, 07:18 AM
if it's only old eyes, have you tried aperture sights? It's surprising the scores some military guns can do with these things.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/choosing_sights.htm
http://www.gun-parts.com/peepsights/
http://www.mojosights.com/SnapSights.html
http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/mojom44/index.asp

I'm not too sure about the double one but eh, I laughed at the whole concept before I fired my first service rifle...
http://www.mojosights.com/images/SightCompWeb.jpg

kg

versifier
04-10-2006, 05:37 PM
It depends on your eyes. There are some cheap scopes that I can use, some fairly expensive ones that I can't. (I'm also a big fan of peep sights on my hunting rifles, but my eyesight is almost to the point where I can't see them clearly at 100yds.) Since you aren't going to be using it in low light or bad weather, and you aren't going to mount it on a howitzer, you only have to find one that will adjust to your eye. I'd avoid the real cheapo Chinese rigs, and maybe keep my eyes open for a used one by a decent maker. I have had good luck with Tasco scopes in light duty target use, but go with Leupold for hunting rifles. You might also consider a red dot sight.

Bghunter338
04-20-2006, 01:53 AM
I just put a new scope my 30/30. Its by NcStar its a 3x9x50 with what they call a p-4 sniper reticle in it. I paid $59.98 on ebay. Brand new. The rings where included. Worry about trying a new brand of scope I took it to the range. To my surprise I was able to see clear all the way to the 400 yard gong. When I got home I ordered two more and I might order a couple more. You really can't go wrong for the price.

klausg
04-20-2006, 04:23 PM
I'd have to agree with Versifier, I've had reasonably good luck with Tasco & Simmons; I haven't tried a BSA yet, though I have their boresighter & it works OK. I'm a really big fan of Leupold, just about every rifle I own that has a scope has one. By way of an anecdote, I have a buddy who has a .300 Wthby that came with a Simmons 3-9X 40mm; he figured he'd shoot it until the scope broke. That was five years ago & that Simmons is still going.

-SSG Klaus

cropcirclewalker
04-21-2006, 02:44 AM
I yam having more fun than should be legal with light loads and cast boolits.

50 yds, 1400 fps, cast boolits out of a 1943 Lithgow No. 1 Mk III* with a Tasco 4x32 fixed.

Fun, yes, fun.

The eyes are going but the fun just keeps on coming.

My 29 dollar scope and my 36 dollar no gunsmith scope mount just about equal the price I paid for the rifle and I am looking at sub 1" groups. With cast. [smilie=w:

Dale53
04-21-2006, 05:41 AM
I shoot .22 silhouette year round (indoors at fifty feet in the winter and outdoors in summer). I tried the Simmons 44 mag line of scopes (6.5x20x44mm with target knobs #1048). It worked so well (we make three scope changes each match and the scope is absolutely repeatable - my Leupolds are NOT) that I bought several more. These have 1/8" clicks and an adjustable objective. They have a complete line of 44 mag scopes. Many people at the local club have purchased these scoopes. They have an unusual wide range of adjustments. With the .22's we shoot from 50 feet to 200 yards. They have a good warranty. The best price is at Natchez Shooters Supply. This scope can be bought for around $100.00. It appears to me to be at least a $300.00 scope for $100.00. It hs almost become a "Club Standard".

I much prefer the target knobs for our competition since we change ranges from 25 yard, 50 yards, 75 yards, 100 yards (modified course of fire). However, they also come with standard knobs which have 1/4" clicks if you prefer. They also have other sizes and powers. Good stuff bordering on wonderful for the price.

Dale53

Bullshop Junior
05-13-2006, 05:13 AM
Got my email, stopped by. Have a question. My eyes seem to be migrating to scopes. I do not need low light accumulation or coatings. I shoot at the range, mid day, fair weather at 100 200 yds, I doubt I need a scope I could use as a hammer if I needed to drive a nail. so how low on the food chain can I go $$ and still get results. Also I do not fire magnum or even max loads, normal jacketed loads and cast. Any recomendations. from .22 to .30cal. JB
Go to CDNN, and get a leepers, 3-9X42. A inexpenvive, but hi quality.
Hope this helps!
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bullshop Junior
05-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I will back up Jr. on this one. These are from China and offer a lot of scope for the $30.00 price. All the features of the more $ scopes + a true mil dot reticle and very handsom to boot. Back in the days when I hunted fur for my $ and a scope ment a 4x Weaver I would have paid about any price for one of these. They are so much better than what we had then but for the price we paid then.
At some point when scopes from China become better known and accepted I think the price will go up, but for now China is trying to break into the market just as Japan did several decades ago. When we started to see scopes that didnt come from Texas we were reluctant but look at us now. I think at some point China will ace out Japan by pricing just as Japan did to USA. I checked out the mil dot against a lazer and was able to get average readings of + or - 2.5 meter. I will not even remotley insinuate these are the best there is but for a $30.00 price tag I dont think you can make a better deal. Thats why I bought a dosen of them and when ever I have some spair jingle will continue to order more.
OOPS sorry posted under Jr's name, this is Sr.
BIC/BS

gooser
05-21-2006, 04:15 PM
I have Tested several brands of scopes,some good some bad, put on what you can afford. There's no use to "over scope" your rifle,meaning if the rifle can't shoot MOA, then don't get a target type scope. I'd start with a mid-range 3-9x AO, and go from there.