PDA

View Full Version : Powder containers

kg42
03-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Last year I bought some bulk powders which came in plastic bags and cardboard boxes. These containments means are getting on my nerves...
Have you guys had the same problem and tried something else?
I can't get used bottles/cans from other reloaders at the time...; I thought about giving a try to degreased motor oil bottles but cannot even find trychlorethylene to start with...
Next thing is vitamins pills jars...

Thanks in advance

kg

lovedogs
03-31-2006, 04:14 PM
I'm not sure I'd use just any old container because gun powder has some solvents in it and I'd be concerned about how the interaction between the plastics and the powder might affect the powder. Might want to do some checking so you don't ruin your powder. Old powder containers would be my first choice, but you said you couldn't get those from anyone. If just for storage and not shipping perhaps with careful handling used glass jars would work... like mayo jars or something. Just be really careful with them.

versifier
04-01-2006, 01:22 AM
How about canning jars? They come in 1/2pint, pint, quart, half gallon, and gallon.

Bug
04-01-2006, 02:27 AM
Why not use bleach bottles? Liquid detergent bottles? as long as they are opaque, and have a cap gasket, they should work fine. I don't know if this is still an option, as I haven't asked in a number of years. Try your local paint store. You used to be able to buy new cans in just about any size. Quart cans were very similar to the IMR metal cans. You could go all the way up to gallon cans.
Good Luck!

krag35
04-01-2006, 02:29 AM
I believe I have read somewhere that light effects powder. For long time storage, how about painting some canning jars with black paint (on the outside) and vacuum sealing the jars. I use a vacuum sealer on Salmon eggs (cured roe) and have had them last for years in the fridge. Who did you buy surplus powder from that came in plastic bags and boxes? Think I might avoid them, unless the price was right :-)
krag35

Toney
04-01-2006, 04:38 AM
Welcome to the guide Bug!!!

d-o-k
04-01-2006, 06:16 AM
G'day Bug & welcome to the guide

Powder don't like light that's for sure or air/moisture thats for sure! What about 1 gallon Gas tins (petrol to me ) the type that you buy empty to carry spare fuel in ? They seal up pretty well .

Dave

Larry Burchfield
04-01-2006, 12:25 PM
You could probably store it in a empty bleach bottle because it isn't clear. I have some old AA that looks like it is in bleach bottles. I'm pretty lucky as my son shoots a lot of competion so I have lots of 5 & 8 empties laying around. You might also try those red plastic coffee cans.
Larry

Bug
04-01-2006, 01:17 PM
Thanks guys, for the welcome. I usually hang on the CB forum. Been there since the Shooters days.
re: Larry. Well duh! I don't know why I didn't think of coffee cans. I only have a dozen or so, within sight. I don't think it would matter if it were plastic or metal.
Also, I'm with Krag, who ships powder like that?

Larry Burchfield
04-01-2006, 02:18 PM
I don't like metal containers. I've had some IMR powder in 8lb cans that rusted on the inside. I don't think it hurt the powder because I still use it. Years ago you used to get powder in plastic bags or paper containers. When I got Powder in this form I would transfer it to what ever suitable plastic I had. You see most powder is military surplus obtained from disassembled small arms.

Larryj

454PB
04-01-2006, 10:31 PM
I use those plastic containers the wife empties for laundry soap and fabric softener. They are colored so light can't get through, they have a built in pour spout that is large in diameter, and they are easily rinsed. She buys everything in gallon containers, and they will hold close to eight pounds of powder. Just be sure you let them dry thoroughly before using.

kg42
04-02-2006, 03:23 AM
Wow, lots of things to address here! :)

-First of all thanks for the suggestions.
-The powder came from Higginson in Ontario; he used to ship in Tupperware-like boxes and customers complained about spillage at openings :)
-Glass is Verbotten by federal ruling I think...it could restrain the pressure and then explode in case of fire.
-I once wasted the last ounces of a powder pound by keeping it in a fancy jam jar, not transparent but translucent (mustard colored); maybe the lid wasn't as air tight as it looked.... The powder went from Universal speed to ...whatever; 250 9luger to go raking the slide for each round... Even going 50% above max load didn't seem to change a thing. Groups were still decent thanks Browning...
-So I had a look at the kitchen and found yoghurt pots...
I'm thinking: Blueberry/Titegroup, Cherry/700X, Raspberry/SP83 and Peach/Lil'Gun... or maybe: Raspberry/Titegroup, Peach/700X, Blueberry/SP83 and Cherry/Lil'Gun.... or no, no, wait: Peach/Titegroup,........................................ .. :mrgreen:

454PB
04-02-2006, 04:16 AM
I should have added to my post: I very clearly mark any containers other than original. I buy a lot of milsurp powders, so in addition to marking them, I add a note as to relative quickness. For instance, my lot of WC 820 is marked "use AAC #9 data". When I finally tip over, my Son will probably wind up with all my reloading gear and components. I've talked to him about my methodology so he knows where and what everything is. Even my batches of cast boolits have notes with them stating caliber, measured diameter, and alloy.

I've seen piles of components at estate sales and garage sales that make me shiver. Nobody knows what or how old the stuff is, how it's been stored, etc. I was given a canning jar once with several thousand primers dumped loose inside. As an experiment, I tried using some and about every third one was a dud. I suspect they had been stored in that jar on a window sill for a few years. Imagine what a bomb that could be!

C1PNR
04-09-2006, 02:22 AM
I was gifted about 8 or 9 lb of Red Dot and 6 or 7 lb of Unique powder in the old 8 lb cardboard containers.

I bought several of the wide mouth, opaque colored 1 liter "nalgene" bottles at Sportsman's Warehouse and poured the powder into them.

I then printed out some LARGE labels on plain white paper, trimmed the paper to size, used clear wrapping tape, and stuck the labels on the bottles.

That "nalgene" is supposed to be non-reactive, and seems to be fine so far. I can see myself recycling these bottles with milsurp powder over the years.

YMMV

kg42
04-09-2006, 10:53 PM
Thanks C1PNR.

PB, you can only find deactivated squirtguns at garage sales here, they call the place the "Lower Mainland". :mrgreen:

kg

MT Gianni
04-21-2006, 11:08 PM
I bought some 4831 back when clintons gun ban took effect and it was stored in 2 liter pop bottles. I am down to 2/3 of 1 left and it still chrono's the same. The seller bought a 33 lb keg and washed and dried the bottles, I kept them din a cool dark place. Gianni. PS. a 2 litetr bottle holds about 4 lbs.

kg42
04-23-2006, 02:28 AM
Thanks MT, I'm beginning to think that powder is much less mysterious than what "they" want us to know... been thinking about making my own http://reloaders.gunloads.com/images/editor/smilie.gif...
I finally got an answer from Hodgdon's VP who says they only recommend the containers they sell the powder in.

By the way does anybody reload his primers.........? Not the Tap-O-Cap thing for BP....

kg

doc25
05-22-2006, 07:02 PM
I buy from Higginsons as well. I leave the powder in the bag in the box and use it from there. Andrew gave me a couple of empty cans and one day and told me that the containers (looked a lot like chocolate milk mix, Quick containers) were not acceptable to mail carrier.

Bad Flynch
06-13-2006, 06:23 PM
You might try locating some one gallon metal solvent cans. These are very much like the gallon cans in which you get paint thinner, etc. Years ago, I bought a 50 lb paper keg of H4831 on a close-out. I used the cans and the worked great.

However, locally I have been unable to get the cans nowadays. It seems that the drug makers use them for storing chemicals and that most lumber yards and paint stores no longer carry them.

klausg
06-13-2006, 06:35 PM
kg42- a thought occurred to me as I was getting a new prescription @ the pharmacy; they emptied one of their bulk containers and promptly threw it in the trash. They're opaque plastic, and look like they'd hold about a pound of powder. It might be worth your while to hit up a pharmacist.

-Klaus

kg42
06-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Thanks guys, I've been going along Klaus' line, scrounging vitamins jars from the neighbour's recycling bin :grin: , I still have to test them for air tightness.

kg

Canuck44
06-26-2006, 04:50 AM
Where are you in BC? I have about five 1 lb powder jugs that I transferred the powder into a larger canister. You get to me by Tueseday they are yours for the postage.

Take Care

Bob

kg42
06-27-2006, 09:11 PM
Thanks Bob, I think I'll be ok :).

kg

1Shirt
07-08-2006, 01:29 AM
Howdy, Am new on this site, but have been around for a long time on others. Many years ago, I used to buy 4831 surplus from Bruce H in Shawnee Mission, Ka. for 50 cents a pound, and it came in 25 and 50 lb. fiberboard containers, and by the pound at 75 cents in brown paper lunch bags. Have stored powder in many different containers, but like the white bleach btls. as well as any because they are easy to pour into the measure. They also show up perm. black marker markings real well for old eyes. I have also had metal IMR 8 pounders rust.
1Shirt:coffee: