PDA

View Full Version : Hart or Krieger?

Gunload Master
04-12-2005, 02:25 AM
Whats your better choice in a rifle barrel? Hart or Krieger? I put a fluted Krieger on my 300 weatherby and I can get dime groupings at 100. Havent had expirence with a hart though.. Thoughts?

C1PNR
04-12-2005, 03:20 AM
Whats your better choice in a rifle barrel? Hart or Krieger? I put a fluted Krieger on my 300 weatherby and I can get dime groupings at 100. Havent had expirence with a hart though.. Thoughts?
Now you're making it hard on me! I was really thinking Lothar Walther if I have to rebarrel the Winchester 70 Ftw 6.5 x 55.

But if you're getting dime sized groups at 100 with a Krieger, I may need to reconsider. What's the platform?

Gunload Master
04-12-2005, 03:53 AM
My full gun specs:

Caliber: 300 Weatherby
Barrel : 26 inch Krieger fluted barrel 1/8 twist
Action: Rem. 700
Stock: Choate Varmint
Scope: 6 x 18 Shepherd
No cast bullets :shock: lol

Deputy Al
04-12-2005, 02:17 PM
I have a similar question on an old and much-used Rem 788 in 22-250. The throat is "weatherbied" to the point that cartridge OAL needs to be at 2.410" in order to be .020" off the leade, this with Sierra 60 grain HP's. It still shoots OK, so I have balked at screwing a new tube onto the action.

I lean toward a heavier contour than "factory"--maybe halfway between standard and the 700V-series contour, 26" long, probably "standard" 1-14" twist. This will be an accuracy project--action bedded, free-floated barrel, maybe a Canjar trigger too. These 788's can REALLY shoot, despite their "cheapie" status.

felix
04-19-2005, 07:23 PM
Al, hands down, this trigger is the one and only. Once you have one, all your guns will be modified, sooner or later. Call these folks and see if they have one for the 788.

Jewell BR Trigger, Remington style .. $150.00 ; BR trigger with bolt release...$160.00
Jewell HVR Hunter Varmint Trigger .. $155.00
options for HVR trigger (available only at time of trigger purchase):
---bolt release .. $10.00
---bottom lever safety .. $25.00
---top lever safety .. $35.00
---left hand safety, add $20 to above safety prices
Jewell BR Trigger, model 70 Winchester .. $205.00
Extra Spring Kit for Jewell Triggers .. $8.00

http://shooters-supply.com 15018 Goodrich Dr. NW, Gig Harbor, WA 98329
1-877-663-6249

ammohead
04-23-2005, 05:08 AM
GM and others,

I am going to help out a friend with a new 300 Weatherby Vanguard, synthetic (read lightweight), blued. He won it at the NBU dinner in Reno, or to be more accurate, a friend at our table won it and gave it to him. I am going to reload for him so he can shoot it alot without alot of $$$.

I am considering a mild load to start him out. He is not an avid shooter and I want to ease him into this. I have a couple jugs of WC860 and have some 180 gr remington corelocs on order from BHSS. I also have about 500 147 gr fmj,and some 165 gr sierra, oh yeah I have some 174 match laying around too. Fill the cases till they crunch? Leave some space? Any favorite loads with this combo? I also have RL25, VVn170, RL19, imr4350.

Any chance that IMR7383 will work with this cartridge? At $3 a pound, I have way too much of it. I have found it to be a bit peaky with other cartridges so would like to hear first hand experience. Just looking for mild plinking loads at this point to let him get aquainted with his new toy.

ammohead

Buckshot
04-23-2005, 11:23 AM
.............Ammohead, no info on the 300 Weatherby and WC860. But I have this to offer as an example. In the 7x57 Mauser, 29" bbl 172gr Rem C-L's, 60.0grs (FULL case) of WC872 delivers original ballistics @ 2450 Fps. Burns clean, and is accurate. Appears to be normal pressure (extraction, brass and primer appearance).

In the 6.5x55 Swede, 24" bbl, full case of WC872 under a Hornady 140 SP the velocity was 2720 fps, which is a tad over original ballistics. Again it burned as clean as anything, very accurate. Pressure was about normal for other jacketed 'book' loads tried.

The larger bore should offset the larger case capacity. However I don't own a ballistics lab nor pressure equipment. I would load a 80% charge with Dacron and a maybe 150gr slug for starters. That is, without actual load info from someone who's been there.

On the other side of things a friend with a 35 Whelen (std case capacity, lrg bore) gets a 220gr slug to 2400 fps with a full case of WC860.

...............Buckshot

felix
04-23-2005, 02:24 PM
Ammohead, with any fine grained powder like 860, always leave some air space in the case, like leaving the neck area left open. The stick powders can actually be crunched a little, but there is no reason to do that. You need air space for primer flame/heat travel. If using a very compressable plastic filler, then you don't need any air space, especially with a magnum full force primer like the Winchester rifle magnum version. Probably won't need magnum primers of any brand when using stick powders. ... felix

Bass Ackward
05-02-2005, 10:53 AM

GM,

Better barrel? hart will only make up to 30 caliber. Their equipment makes barrels to the same standards as everyone elses. The difference is in how the barrel is made. Harts are buttoned. Kriegers are cut. Cut barrels are tougher steel, but take longer to break in properly. Krieger can and will make you anything you want. Hart only does what they believe won't ruin their reputation. So your choice really.

Best barrel steel today? Krieger and Lothar Walther.

DaveT
05-10-2005, 04:21 AM
My question is this to all you very knowledgable gun nuts. What kind of quality work does Krieger do when installing and chambering, lapping lugs and reface reciever and bolt face to square everything up. Anyone know the answer to this question, do they do good work? I want to send them my Winchester 7MM WSM to do this work, I am sure they are a respected gun shop, don't you think. Between Krieger and Hart, I am going with Krieger because they will have my gun back in 3 months or sooner, Hart takes forever, and I'm an old fart, I don't have forever......
DaveT

Bass Ackward
05-10-2005, 11:58 AM
My question is this to all you very knowledgable gun nuts. What kind of quality work does Krieger do when installing and chambering, lapping lugs and reface reciever and bolt face to square everything up. Anyone know the answer to this question, do they do good work? DaveT

Dave,

This is news to me. For the longest time Krieger wouldn't do chambering work at all.

But because of the equipment that they have to operate with in their method of barrel making as opposed to machinery required to pull a button through a barrel, they should know how to operate the necessary equipment and be familiar with the processes you list.

Remember, it is one thing to make a barrel. You can always say that you put your heart and soul into the thing and your smith messed it up. But .... when you do the entire package, you have no one else to blame. My guess is that since it is their name on the line, they will do it right.

Just make sure that they understand what your desire for services are going into this project because in this day and age they are NOT automatic simply by getting a barrel change. Make sure you ask.

DaveT
05-11-2005, 03:16 AM
Thanks for the response Bass Ackward and your message is very reasonable and makes good sense. I have spoken directly with a technician at Kriegers and discussed this project and he gave me complete details on price, contour, types of steel and break in, very nice guy I might add. Nothing like the a..holes at Winchester. I sent the gun out today with a full detailed note on what I wanted done, with a check and a copy of my dealers FFL. After chatting with Willy and reading your feelings on this project I feel very confident that my gun will come back in fine shape and that the folks at Krieger will stand behind thier reputation.
Dave T

Bass Ackward
05-12-2005, 09:47 PM
After chatting with Willy and reading your feelings on this project I feel very confident that my gun will come back in fine shape and that the folks at Krieger will stand behind thier reputation.
Dave T

Dave,

Just remember the biggest negative to Krieger barrels is that they are cut rifled. That means taller, more square rifling in tough steel. We have had customer complain about accuracy until they got to 200 rounds and the barrels settled in.

So don't get discouraged if it takes close to that before you reach the ahhhhhh stage.