PDA

View Full Version : Mangrove Foxes

d-o-k
03-26-2006, 04:42 AM
Last night I was working a property that is right next to the sea & I was supprized when the owner of the land offered me the use of a boat :confused: When I asked if he was joking he pointed out that he has concentrations of foxes around the Mangroves along the sea front & they are very wary of vehicles yet can be shot from a boat as they have'nt worked that one out yet ! I went down along the shore & was supprised to see quite a number of foxes hunting round the Mangrove trees& was able to reduce their number by quite a few by whistleing them! I must admit though there were several areas that I was unable to get to them due to swamp & I think he may be onto something with the boat idea !

Dave

lovedogs
03-26-2006, 05:59 AM
What are your foxes like, d-o-k? Ours here in Montana are the plain red fox. Are they any different there? I've called them at night with a light but normally they are just sort of a bonus when I'm out calling coyotes. We used to do good selling them years ago but fur prices now are so low I don't even bother picking up the varmints I shoot. What a shame to waste all the good fur. Our coyotes are really beauties but no one is using them anymore.

d-o-k
03-26-2006, 06:31 AM
WE have the common Red Fox over here which seems to have made it's way round the world ! Back in the 70-80's the prices of skins skyrocketed & most of us Pros headed out onto the Nullabour Plain during the winter to shoot as everyman & his dog went skin crazy ! The prices finarly went bust with most of the Part time Pros & there has'nt really been much of a call for shooting since then ! Mainly baiting ! A Old skinbuyer of mine was really starting to feel the pinch as it were so I took on a contract with him to get a min of 200 skins & in the hope that several of wh have long memories of him looking after us in the past will generate some fresh intrest this season

Dave

Toney
03-26-2006, 06:40 AM
Boating and hunting too!!! you lucky dog!!!

MT Gianni
03-26-2006, 04:08 PM
d-o-k, You may be on to something as I found fox and coyote far more likely to come to a call when I was on cross country skis versus when the had heard an engine in the last hour. Gianni.

d-o-k
03-27-2006, 02:13 AM
Boating and hunting too!!! you lucky dog!!!

We were going to go on a little nautical adventure last night ! It poured down thugh with a Electrical storm so I took refuge for the night with a couple of Roo shooters I know in one chaps winter camp & passed a very pleasent night ,reminising with Old friends including Bob Fisher whom we discoverd is in his 90's & has been a Pro hunter since the age of 10yrs Old when he left school & started Trapping Rabbits for a living He reckons this will be his last year of shooting for a living ,as he wants to enjoy his retirement shooting Bench rest which he discovered 20 yrs ago ! It was truely a rewarding night ! Even considering the fact that Bob was the man who got me a start in the Buffalo shooting industry & was able to reveal a whole lot to the other Blokes wh have known me for years as a vetran shooter who was always cool carm & collected (yeah well that got blown out of the water ) I was a Rabbit shooter & just learning the Roo trade when Bob talked my Parents into letting me go up North with him .I was 16yrs old so I think I was allowed to make a few little errors of judgement

Dave

lovedogs
03-27-2006, 05:19 AM
MT Gianni,

I know what you're talking about. I used to snowshoe to hunt coyotes. Where I am now we don't get enough snow to do that often and I may be getting too old and puny to snowshoe like I used to. I still walk a mile or so before setting up to call. Here the dogs leave post haste when they hear an engine.