PDA

View Full Version : question

30cal
02-18-2006, 02:59 PM
Does anybody know how many diffrent rifles use the same bullet as the 308?:neutral:

Toney
02-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Hello 30cal Welcome to the guide!!!

Alot of rounds use a 308 bullet, a few, 30carb, 30-30, 300sav, 307, 308, 06, 300win mag and many many more.

30cal
02-18-2006, 06:13 PM
[QUOTE=Toney]Hello 30cal Welcome to the guide!!!

does that 300 win ultra mag. Ihave a problem with bullet set on my seating die.It wanders up and down .020 up or down

Toney
02-18-2006, 06:45 PM
My new 243 Lee die was doing the same thing, I took it apart and the adjusting screw had a little step in the bottom the seater punch was hanging up on sometimes. I swapped it out with one out of my 6.5jap die and it works good now.

30cal
02-18-2006, 06:50 PM
so should i take the die apart and check it

30cal
02-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Do you think the model 7oo 300 winchester ultra magnum has good knock down power at 600 yards. Or should I get a 50caliber bmg.

Toney
02-18-2006, 06:54 PM
I would. What kind of press do you have? Them alum presses have a lot of flex

30cal
02-18-2006, 06:59 PM
Is anybody neck sizing only on rifle reloads or fullsizing I just neck size is that better than fullsizing

30cal
02-18-2006, 07:00 PM
Its a lees aluminum press yes it has a lot of give

Toney
02-18-2006, 07:00 PM
You hit something with that 50 and you're not going to have anything left to bring home. The 300 will do the job if you put'em where you want them.

Toney
02-18-2006, 07:06 PM
The press is probably you're problem. Really need to get an iron press, i think the Lee classic press would be the way to go. If you keep looking around you can find a good used one, got my rcbs jr2 for $25 at a show in tulsa

30cal
02-18-2006, 07:13 PM
yes thats what I think to the 300 ultras a good big game gun

30cal
02-18-2006, 07:15 PM
its the lees aniversary press yeah its not a good press but a nice cheap learning tool for reloading

30cal
02-18-2006, 07:24 PM
how do i use the chat

Toney
02-18-2006, 07:24 PM
I do a lot of neck sizing but i always fullsize my hunting loads, you never now when you will need a reall fast reload for a follow up shot.

Last year i seen a deer wake up from a nap, had a good shot at its neck so i took it. A few seconds latter it got up and stumbled around a little bit and started walking off { i guess it was just streching after it's nap} man i wondered how the hell it got up so i shot it agian center mas to put it out DAM!!! got two!!!

Toney
02-18-2006, 07:28 PM
The master just set that up for us it has'nt been used that much, i don't type fast enough to carry on a good conversation and don't spell that good either

30cal
02-18-2006, 07:51 PM
I've achived incredible groups with with my model 700 308 adl with the lees anniversary press and a neck sizing die ! Im using a 43.5 grain load with a 168 grain head, Right out of the box factory match grade. A 700 adl synthetic out of the box is a pretty good gun. Sounds like some good shooting with a touch of luck neck shots can be lethal I prefer shoulder or head depends on the situation distance shots I prefer shoulder or neck!100 yarders gotta get them in the head

versifier
02-19-2006, 01:02 AM
In general, you can achieve a better degree of accuracy with neck sizing and a bolt action or a single shot. If the rifle feeds smoothly (my .308 and .22-250 do) there's no reason to stress your brass out by full length sizing. If I were after dangerous game, I would probably be of a different opinion, but then I'd be shooting something a lot bigger than .30cal.
As to your press, .02 isn't a lot of play unless you are shooting bench rest. There's probably more play in the average shell holder. I load on an ancient RockChucker, but also use a Lee reloader for a priming tool and for boolit sizing, and it's plenty rugged enough to size long hard fat cast boolits without any problems. It's certainly no swaging press by any stretch of the imagination, but it's well made and the tolerances are close enough for very precise primer seating.
Personally, I would never consider a shot at deer sized game beyond 250yds, but I have a peep sight on my .308, not a scope. Even so, that is about the maximum range for a clean kill with the bullets I use for deer hunting. The magnums might give an extra 150 yards, at least in theory, but the amount of practice needed to be able to kill cleanly at 400 yards is more than 99% of the hunters out there are going to be willing to actually do. Anyone in my experience that shoots the 200 or so rounds a week out of a magnum rifle needed to maintain such proficiency is more likely to develop a world class flinch. I'm not saying you can't do it, just that it's unlikely. The people I know who are shooting competetively at very long ranges are not using the same kinds of scopes and bullets, and are generally launching them at speeds insufficient to deliver enough terminal energy at those longer ranges to kill cleanly and humanely. "Spray & pray" just doesn't cut it with me, and I hunt small and medium sized varmints out to 400yds and am well aware of how many rounds I have to shoot to keep the edge at those ranges. It isn't what rifle/chambering you have that gives you the ability to shoot at long ranges, it's the many, many thousands of rounds fired in practice over time that gradually increases your ability to kill cleanly at progressively longer ranges, and your growing familiarity with the rifle over time so that you are not guessing at its capabilities, but being sure of them as well as your own.

krag35
02-19-2006, 01:11 AM
Do you think the model 7oo 300 winchester ultra magnum has good knock down power at 600 yards. Or should I get a 50caliber bmg.

IF you can hit a game animal in the vitals at 600 yds, that would really be something. That's twice as far as I would shoot, and 6 times farther than I plan on shooting and 12 times farther than 90% of the game animals I have shot.
For ME, a 600 yds shot would be unethical, no matter what bullet dia., velocity or game shot at. Besides, I like to see the "OH CRAP" look in their eyes.
krag35

krag35
02-19-2006, 01:19 AM
Is anybody neck sizing only on rifle reloads or fullsizing I just neck size is that better than fullsizing

I neck size for my bolt guns, but levers, and semiautos get full length resized.
krag35

Mosko
02-19-2006, 01:42 AM
There's a basic rule of thumb when determining whether to neck, or full length size.

If the ammo you are loading will only be fired in "one rifle", fired brass from that rifle needs only to be neck sized. This will correct for head space problems in that rifle.

If the ammo may be used in more than one rifle of that caliber, and you do not know which rifle fired it the last time, full length size.

There is no associated problem with what kind of action the firearm has, as it applies to how you size it.

Fired brass from a particular auto loader, when necksized, and fed again into the same autoloader, the round will chamber perfectly.

d-o-k
02-19-2006, 02:54 AM
G'day & welcome to the site 30 Cal
A Lee Classic would be a exellent choice For working with the larger cases . Now as it has been pointed out 600yds is a Bloody long way out with very little room for error of judgement ! I have shot for a living all of my working life (including a stint in the Army) I call 180yrds a long shot ! If I miss it costs me money . The way I read your hunting system in the US ,is that you are alloted so many Tags to shoot Deer, Elk,or what ever. So it would seem to me that every shot would have to be a winner!
I would be keeping my shots nice & close .Plus the fact there is the old problem of range guestamation ,I've seen a lot, Of shots taken by Blokes over the years that They reckoned that it had been at least 400yrds,where in reality it was only 200-250.No they were't exzagerating ! They honestly belived that what they had shot was that far out & were suprized that it was not as far as they thought ! Hell ! I've done it myself on many nights!
On the subject of sizing. I normaly only neck size & then full lenght resize every 6 or 7 loads or when the cases start to become sticky & then check case length as well ! For any Hunting that involes Large animals that can cause grevious bodily harm
I full lenght resize just ot be on the safe side & chamber each round to make sure it functions through the action just to make sure !

Dave

30cal
02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
THIS ONES FOR THE NON-BELIVERS. I do practice once a week 3 rounds at 100 yards 6 rounds at 250 3-5 rounds at 310. YES You do have to practice considerablybut honestly after a while you get the feel of the rifle and understand that controlled breath and steadyness is the key I do use a scope and a range finder but you can only trust a range finder so far.I use calculations from my mil dot as well as a wind meter. No im not a irresponsible hunter if I dont think I can hit it I dont shoot. Alot of presses out there its all in the powder and seating depth full sizing is for auto and semi autos ,bolts should be neck sized only!
You dont have to belive I just wanted some input.

30cal
02-19-2006, 02:30 PM
Far as 100's of rounds goes a week that isnt going to do nothing for you if your a hunter havnt you ever heard of cold fire ?

30cal
02-19-2006, 02:32 PM
If your afraid of your gun put it in the gun case and stare at it

30cal
02-19-2006, 02:35 PM
I use barnes bullets for hunting they are very destructive.

30cal
02-19-2006, 02:47 PM
dok ever shoot a kangaroo

versifier
02-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Mosko,
I've had levers, pumps, and semis that would only function with small base sized cases, even full length had difficulty feeding. This has not been the case with military actions like my Garand with more generous chambers, but with certain Remingtons (74's & 76's), Brownings (BLR's & BAR's), Winchesters (88's and 100's), and Rugers (mini 14's). Not every one of them to be honest, but enough of them to make it aggravating. If I'm loading hunting ammo for someone else, unless they are shooting a bolt, I always full length resize, and I have the sb dies in case there are problems. I will simply sell a rifle with a chamber so tight that it needs sb's, but there are a lot of them out there. I would love it if I could get away with neck sizing all the time, and for my own rifles, mostly I can.

Mosko
02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
Yes, I understand. Naturally if you're loading them for someone else, to neck size, you'd have to be certain that every case you loaded whould have to be provided by the person being loaded for, and that he / she had fired every one of the cases in the actual rifle that they were to be fired in again. It gets complicated doesn't it?

However, any rifle that fires a round, when the case is ejected undamaged, then necksized, and reloaded without altering the cases exterior dimentions, will fit perfectly into that chamber again!

After all, the chamber was used to "perfectly" size the case for that particular chamber. In another rifle the case may or may not chamber.

I get into this by having rifles, autoloaders, rolling block, bolt etc. that are one of a kind in my collection. Having only "one" weapon in some particular caliber, means that every case I have was fired in that "one" rifle. I find that the cases are perfectly sized for that rifle needing only neck sizing to hold the new projectile.

Full length sizing only means that the entire case will be resized to specs, (meaning slightly undersize) so that they will chamber in any rifle that caliber whether it has a tight spec chamber or not.

YMMV, but I have never had a problem using the above mentioned "rule of thumb".

Bullshop Junior
02-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Does anybody know how many diffrent rifles use the same bullet as the 308?:neutral:

Ok, lets see if I can remember them all!!! There are about 20!
30 M1 Carbean
300 savidge
303 savidge
30 herat
30/30 winchester
30/30 imp
30/40 krag
307 winchester
7.5X55 swiss
7.65 arg
30/06
30/06 imp
300 winchester short mag
300 remington short mag.
300 win mag
300 remington ulta mag
300 wetherby mag
30/378 wetherby
And some others that I do remember right now.
DANIEL/BS JR.

krag35
02-20-2006, 06:09 AM
THIS ONES FOR THE NON-BELIVERS. I do practice once a week 3 rounds at 100 yards 6 rounds at 250 3-5 rounds at 310. YES You do have to practice considerablybut honestly after a while you get the feel of the rifle and understand that controlled breath and steadyness is the key I do use a scope and a range finder but you can only trust a range finder so far.I use calculations from my mil dot as well as a wind meter. No im not a irresponsible hunter if I dont think I can hit it I dont shoot. Alot of presses out there its all in the powder and seating depth full sizing is for auto and semi autos ,bolts should be neck sized only!
You dont have to belive I just wanted some input.

Good for you, If you feel confident, go for it, I do not, so I don't. Don't disbeleive you, just gave my input.

what is "cold fire"?
krag35

krag35
02-20-2006, 06:19 AM
Ok, lets see if I can remember them all!!! There are about 20!
30 M1 Carbean
300 savidge
303 savidge
30 herat
30/30 winchester
30/30 imp
30/40 krag
307 winchester
7.5X55 swiss
7.65 arg
30/06
30/06 imp
300 winchester short mag
300 remington short mag.
300 win mag
300 remington ulta mag
300 wetherby mag
30/378 wetherby
And some others that I do remember right now.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Just adding ones that come to mind
310 cadet
30/40 Krag imp.
308 Win
30 lever power
300 H&H Mag
7.62X25
7.62X54R
30 Luger
7.62X39
30/20 (modern 32\20)
308X1.5"
30-03
303 British
30/284

Mosko
02-20-2006, 02:01 PM
There are many that use the .308 dia projectile as y'all have listed. But, to keep someone from possibly being missled a bit, there should be a correction to the listed calibers.

7.62X54r Russian, 7.65 Argentine, and .303 British are not .308. Those three are .311 / .312. diameter projectiles.

C1PNR
02-20-2006, 09:06 PM
And my .310 Cadet measures .320! A 308 would rattle in that bore.

30cal
02-20-2006, 10:16 PM
Why are 50 bmg so expensive "its nuts" armalite makes a nice one! grizzlies are cheap' but look pretty crude probably shoot crude anyone shot a grizzly 50 cal ?bmg . Going out shooting at the rifle range most people fire several rounds through their rifle sighting in their scope. When you heat up your barrel it wanders not enough at close distance to notice say 30 or 50 yards but on distance shots you relly notice! So you fire your rifle once let it cool down swab it fire it again thus cold fire in the short! Input

30cal
02-20-2006, 11:25 PM
Is hooking your rifle up to a vise and shooting it ;realy shooting I dont think so!

krag35
02-21-2006, 06:53 AM
And my .310 Cadet measures .320! A 308 would rattle in that bore.

I must have been thinking of another little English cartridge, will have to dig out my books and look it up. thank you for the correction.
krag35

krag35
02-21-2006, 06:59 AM
So you fire your rifle once let it cool down swab it fire it again thus cold fire in the short! Input

I know what you are talking about now, had never heard that term before. The first shot from a cold barrel is the one that counts. I have never had to shoot a "group" at a game animal, but a few have required more than one to keep them down.
krag35

30cal
02-21-2006, 05:13 PM
can you reload 7.62 *54r in the winchester caseing its crimmped and im not familiar with it

d-o-k
02-23-2006, 12:26 AM
dok ever shoot a kangaroo

30 Cal I've made my living as a Pro hunter all of my working life :mrgreen: In my case it's not have you ever shot a Kangaroo? It's a case of of how many Tonnes a night? (Approx 1.2tonne per night ,best night ever? 2.5 tonne or 60 Roos lightest weight 36kg !) I used to average about 6000 per year !:mrgreen:

Dave

30cal
02-23-2006, 12:05 PM
30 Cal I've made my living as a Pro hunter all of my working life :mrgreen: In my case it's not have you ever shot a Kangaroo? It's a case of of how many Tonnes a night? (Approx 1.2tonne per night ,best night ever? 2.5 tonne or 60 Roos lightest weight 36kg !) I used to average about 6000 per year !:mrgreen:

Dave
boy thats a lot of tonne 6000 do you have a personal vendetta against the roo or did they just make you mad 6000 what is that about 20 a day arent there regulations on game in australia think you ought to shoot dingos more, sounds like more of a challenge. Did you ever try using a speer sounds like firearms are to easy?

d-o-k
02-23-2006, 01:39 PM
No Mate. That's how I make my living. If a person is caught without the correct Licenses & the legal cal ,acreddited vehicle,or the wrong type of tag on the type of Kangaroo . Ie Red tag for Red's. Grey for western grey (scrubers) Brown for Euros ,Yellow for personal use (issued to property owners for pest control ) There is a $10,000 fine ,for each animal taken ,Confisastion of Vehical &firearms ! Yes I do Trap Poison & shoot Dingos for their bounty ,Foxes for their skins ,Camel for both pet food & human consumption (once again I'm paid by the kg = 2.2 lbs) Over here Species like Pigs ,Goats ,Donkeys ,camel ,rabbits/hares, dingos ,Deer (in most states) are considered feral animals & may be hunted all year round with a normal hunting permit with no quota .

Kangaroos come under the Protected species act & can only be hunted by Pros or by Property owners who may apply for a pest control permit to cull a set number of the Creatures (Much easier to get a Pro in to do it ) These days a PH must pass several exams & courses ,Have a accredited vehicle with a accredited (yearly) stainless steel or galvanised tray& Pay a small sum of $750.00 per year for his license (+ $250.oopa for accreditation )
I'm afraid after over thirty years as a PH I don't like or dislike what ever I'm shooting it's just a job to me ! I once discribed it as working in a mobil slaughter house ! Why do I do it ? Cause it's the only job I have ever done (apart from a stint in the army ) Plus the Money is great & I'm my own boss ! The down side is that I have high running costs ,Live out of my swag in all weather ,cook on a open fire & Fight a constant battle with illegal shooters & Tree huggers that have never left the confines of a city !

Dave

30cal
02-25-2006, 12:57 PM
WELL THAT SOUNDS LIKE A FUN JOB. Wish I had that one, I enjoy hunting from time to time, going boar hunting a few from now, wonder how they are going to like my 300 ultra magnum ?its a miny hand held howitzer, yes poaching is always a problem every where you go it doesnt matter, some one always trying to mess it up for everyone else,Far as the tree hugging squirel feeders,. dont have much use for them,Did you see the story of the tree hugger that went to live with grizzly bears because he loved them, then they ate him and his girlfreind, Goes to show you what tree hugging will get you! Animals are wild and unpredictable , would you walk up to a dingo and say" oooh come here pretty little puppy"hell no . Some people need to buck up and smell the coffee;;;;I say if its brown its down. Working on goats and rams for next year, hopefully elk in the fall darn lotterys for license draw it really should be free,"really" But if it was people would abuse that too, use to hunt public land but there is too many errisponsible hunters out there,now I private hunt and book my trips so I go when I can,"someone always messing it up for someone" Got shot at one to many times public hunting, they give any idiot a shotgun and a hunting license, some people arnt responsible enough to hunt!Good luck on your adventures, Whats the most dangerous game you have down there is it water buffalo, dingos or a mad kangaroo?

d-o-k
02-26-2006, 03:25 AM
WELL THAT SOUNDS LIKE A FUN JOB. Wish I had that one, I enjoy hunting from time to time, going boar hunting a few from now, wonder how they are going to like my 300 ultra magnum ?its a miny hand held howitzer, yes poaching is always a problem every where you go it doesnt matter, some one always trying to mess it up for everyone else,Far as the tree hugging squirel feeders,. dont have much use for them,Did you see the story of the tree hugger that went to live with grizzly bears because he loved them, then they ate him and his girlfreind, Goes to show you what tree hugging will get you! Animals are wild and unpredictable , would you walk up to a dingo and say" oooh come here pretty little puppy"hell no . Some people need to buck up and smell the coffee;;;;I say if its brown its down. Working on goats and rams for next year, hopefully elk in the fall darn lotterys for license draw it really should be free,"really" But if it was people would abuse that too, use to hunt public land but there is too many errisponsible hunters out there,now I private hunt and book my trips so I go when I can,"someone always messing it up for someone" Got shot at one to many times public hunting, they give any idiot a shotgun and a hunting license, some people arnt responsible enough to hunt!Good luck on your adventures, Whats the most dangerous game you have down there is it water buffalo, dingos or a mad kangaroo?

The most dangeruos game I have ever hunted down here would a toss up between Camel or Water buff that have been shot full of #4 shot & .22 bullets by Black fellas in the hope of putting said Buff down ! They go out in a 4x4 with more fire power than the bismark &on finding a Buff they would give it everything they had until it either dropped (not often)or got away (the norm ) so by the time we came across them they were mighty cranky with anything that smelt like man !
Camels just suffer "shit on the liver" all their lives & think nothing of attacking anything or one who threatens their harem ! Most people put Roos into the cute & cuddley class ! But they can grab a Dog or man if cornered balance on their tail grab with their fore legs & then disembowl with their rear legs ,or they will head for a dam & stand in the water & when the dog/dingo goes in after them they drown it by forcing it under with their rear legs !
To make things worse I know of a chap who was shot by a Wallerby ! ....Yeah true story & we have never let him forget it either:-D
He shot said wallerby with a .22 auto loader & had only wounded it so he held it down by placeing the butt of said rifle on it's neck to pick up a rock to cave it's head in ! Well of corse the creature was thresing around & managed to get it's fore paw onto the trigger & set the rifle off as the owner was bent over ! He ended up getting shot through the armpit & the Police report read ....shot by Kangaroo ! Needless to say we always remind this chap to wear kevlar when shooting roos as they shoot back at him !!!!!!!

Dave

Toney
02-26-2006, 03:32 AM
Neat thread Dave, Must be the life!!!

d-o-k
02-26-2006, 04:32 AM
Neat thread Dave, Must be the life!!!

I'll be quite honest Toney it' has a novelty for the first 6mths (I've done nothing else for 35+ yrs now ) but then it becomes like any other job! Your out in all weather ,there are break downs & injuries (several that should have killed me ) You sleep on the ground & cook on a open fire & live like a savage ! On the other hand ! It's the only job that I know of that pays well if you work bloody hard at it ,your Office & lunch room cieling is the Milky way & your hundreds of miles from another human being for weeks on end !

Dave

30cal
02-26-2006, 02:30 PM
Thats a very funny story "poor fella" he would have to get some ribbing from my end of the fence!That would be pretty embarassing.

lovedogs
03-01-2006, 04:30 AM
Hey, 30 Cal... all the advice given on how to size is good. I shoot mostly bolt actions in rifles and have found that I get excellent accuracy and long case life by using a FL die but only sizing to fit the chamber of a given rifle. Using a RCBS Precision Mic makes it easy to get it just right. I only set the shoulder back about .001 in. so get good case life and easy chambering, also. The best of both worlds I'd say.