PDA

View Full Version : Drill & tap

Bullshop Junior
02-09-2006, 05:40 AM
I think that one of you have been drilling and taping somthing or other. I want to drill and tap my rust ball Marlin 336 35 Remington. I want to drill it out for the origanal marlin scope base. Do any of you know about how much that will cost?
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
02-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Around here it costs $10 a hole.

We need to figure out how to mount a lefthand frendly scope for our K31s without haveing to go with the scout mout

Toney
02-09-2006, 08:30 AM
Around here it costs $10 a hole.

We need to figure out how to mount a lefthand frendly scope for our K31s without haveing to go with the scout mout

versifier
02-09-2006, 11:36 PM
It's not a really hard job with a centering jig. But it would be cheaper to have it done than to buy the jig with drill, tap, & bottoming tap for one rifle. If you are curious, I can tell you how it is done.

Bullshop Junior
02-10-2006, 02:21 AM
Versifier,
That is ok. I do not have the money to buy the tools. Thank you for your help.
DANIEL/BS JR.

versifier
02-10-2006, 07:51 PM
Daniel,
No problem. I just thought you might like to know a little more about how it is done so you'd know what it is you'd be paying for. One can make the jig with a drill press and a good cross slide vise, but that is a little more serious a project than you might want to get into right now. You need to learn first the basics of drilling and tapping holes - all the way through, and then making them to specific depths. For that you need a chunk of soft scrap metal, a good set of drills, and some taps. It helps to have someone show you how to start a tap the first time, too, and how to reverse it, break off, and clear the chips out. It is a basic skill in a metal shop that you'll need to learn in order to work on guns. If I'm not mistaken, you'll be needing it before too much more time passes.:-D

rtracy2001
08-29-2009, 03:04 AM
$10 a hole!!! That's a steal.

Might be worth the drive to OK just to get some work done. I have been quoted $40-$60 per hole here. (and it wasn't exotic work I was asking for ether, just bases on a Mauser 98)

Kinda sucks too. Since the Doc told me I have macular degeneration, I have a choice, get scopes on everything, or stop caring about what/where I actually hit.;)

runfiverun
08-30-2009, 02:58 AM
tracy look up ray atkison's number he is up near i-falls.
robert gaither is right there in pokey.
or mike cordoba he is near preston p.m. me for roberts and mikes phone numbers.
i have seen and had mike do work for me he is reasonable and good.

rtracy2001
08-30-2009, 03:14 AM
Thanks, I'll do that when I'm ready to get work done. Right now I have to keep the hobby on the down low or the Missus will have my head. :)

Guesser
08-30-2009, 02:47 PM
Tracy: If you get to Rexburg talk to Bruce Preheim at B&B guns, 208-359-6116. He was in Soda for a few years and Preston before that and he apprenticed under P.O. Ackley. He does fine work and has never been too expensive for my projects.