PDA

View Full Version : Just worndering how close?

Toney
02-05-2006, 08:22 PM
How close does a snake or turtle have to be to be considered a nuisance?:mrgreen:
Is a turtle getting to close to your bait a shooter?:mrgreen:

I have had a couple of big water snakes try to get me! Connie and i was walking and casting an ultra lite with a little jig, when a big old snake followered it right up to the bank, stopped and stuck it's head up above the water around a foot and looked at us for a little bit. Connie turned and ran through the poison ivy. I stood there untill it slipped back down into the water and crawed up onto the bank right in frount of me. No sticks around and i was'nt using my pole to beat him off so i left.

I have used my pole to keep'em form comming in to the boat.

C1PNR
02-05-2006, 09:04 PM
When I go fishing I either carry my .44 Bulldog or 2 barrel Derringer.

The Bulldog will have a shot cartridge first up, then a solid, another shot, etc. The Derringer is a .38 special with shot loads in each barrel (really a .357 brass with powder, card, shot, upside down gas check).

Within "striking distance" (5 feet, I figure) it's BOOM time. If I'm able to easily move aside or go around, they don't get within striking distance. But if I'm cornered by poison ivy, poison oak, trees, etc., too bad snake.

Snapping turtles are a little different. If it's small enough for me to kick into the next County, I'll do that. But larger ones get the same treatment as the snakes.

versifier
02-06-2006, 02:40 AM
We don't have any poisonous snakes around here, and they all eat small rodents, so I leave them alone. Snapping turtles are something else again and if armed I will shoot them, like to carry a .22, either Ruger MkII or T/C Contender.
Although it is legal to kill nuisance critters, if anywhere but on your own land in this state you need a hunting license or you're in a world of it pretty quick, even with a pistol permit. Their tack is that the carry gun is for protection from two-legged varmints and doesn't allow you to hunt. I have one friend who wouldn't listen and lost a nice S&W 686, fine, etc., shooting at a woodchuck in a neighbor's field. The game warden wasn't the least bit interested to hear that the woodchuck had just left his garden (about 100yds away), as long as he was on the neighbor's land, he was hunting without a license. He told my friend that he might have looked the other way if he'd killed the little bugger, but missed with all six shots and he couldn't abide such a poor marksman.

d-o-k
02-06-2006, 01:11 PM
around here if a"Joe Blake" (auz slang for snake ) comes within 25yrds of the house it becomes Fertilizer !!!! out in the paddocks it's live let live (Unless Tracey sees em ,she hates em with a vengence):-D

Dave

Toney
02-06-2006, 10:59 PM
I think i'm sol, was reading the hunting rules agian and it says. "Landowners, lessees, or occupants of land when such reptiles are creating a nuisance".
I'm fishing on a WMA and got the $5 permit, Im just worndering what the warden man would say?

versifier
02-07-2006, 04:42 AM
Have your wife call and ask. If she uses a "poor little defenseless me" voice and doesn't give her name it should be safe enough.

dale clawson
05-19-2006, 02:18 AM
Toney: I was fishing with my brother once in a dirt tank, we were after catfish, but it was really slow. I was sitting on the bank with my feet near the water, along came a small water snake, about 2 ft. long. I gave him a whack behind the head with my fishing rod, and he just sank to the bottom in a few inches of water.After about 10 min., he suddenly reared up out of the water right in my face, causing me to dig huge chunks of mud out with my heels as I tried to move away. Looked like a truck slinging mud! My brother thought it was a lot funnier than I did.

lovedogs
05-19-2006, 03:55 PM
I never leave home without at least a good pistol. Those shotshells made by CCI work great for snakes. I've used them in .22's, .38's, and .44's... all with great satisfaction. The .22 with snake shot absolutely shreds a rattler and takes all the fight out of him. I highly recommend them. At a distance of 5 to 6 ft. it's easy to hit them and flattens them instantly. Just load the first two rounds in a cylinder with them and you're in the snake killing business. Another advantage is that these don't richochet like a solid bullet and if you do have the misfortune of hitting your dog it won't kill it. My dog is trained well enough I don't have that problem of it tangling with snakes, but your buddies dog might not be.

1Shirt
03-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Only two kind of snakes I don't like: Dead ones and Live ones! Snappers make good eating, and fairly small ones 5-6" shell make good pouches for buckskinners and Iroquois Rattles. I like shot ctgs, and load them for 38/357,44S/44Mag. 3 ball loads are also good for snakes in 357.:
1Shirt!:coffee:

Slow Elk 45/70
03-10-2009, 08:39 AM
Shoot first, ask questions, apologise later.....

konrad
03-27-2010, 06:18 AM
I’m originally from the Gulf Coast of Texas; anything that slithers is fair game.
“Kill ‘Em All and Let God Sort ‘Em Out”.

Turtles, sunning or otherwise are chum for the slithering targets.

I like Rugers…from the 22’s to the 375’s.

Of course, a Winchester, Browning, Remington, Savage or Colt will do in a pinch.

firefly 1957
10-19-2010, 11:39 PM
we don't have many poison snakes hear in Michigan but they are protected DNR* ticketed a home owner for killing a rattle snake in his house! I did like what the officer said about missing that woodchuck. At the last minute one year work scheduled Saturday deer opener as overtime. A third of us went hunting instead, foreman came by on Monday and asked if we got a deer. those that did not got written up for absence/unexcused the committee man asked why he did not write up the others the foreman said" Because they can shoot and I don't want to tick them off"

* Damned Near Russians

j1
04-03-2014, 09:24 PM
If that turtle is hanging onto your toe, be very careful shooting.