PDA

View Full Version : Any Single shot shooters out there?

Mosko
01-28-2006, 08:45 PM
I shoot rolling blocks, Mauser 71's, Gras and Vetterli, single shot rifles. I think the most enjoyment comes from fabing the ammo. I have caught myself firing what ammo I had so that I could make some more, any of you have that problem?

Stan in SC
05-12-2007, 09:18 AM
No but I an kinda focused on keeping my ammunition supplies reloaded to a certain point after a range day.
Fancy running into you here.I wasn't aware that you were into rolling blocks.

Stan

Placitas Slim
05-14-2007, 08:15 PM
Yup, shoot a Buffalo Classic in 45/70 and a Neff Ultra Varmint in .223. Have also started my grandson out on a Rossi with barrels in .22 and .410. Reloading for them is almost as much fun as shooting.

lovedogs
05-20-2007, 03:51 PM
Yup, my locker is starting to bulge at the seams with a variety of H&R's, Buffalo Classics, and Contenders. Are they an addiction? Me thinks maybe!

Tom W.
05-27-2007, 05:19 AM
I have two NEF's and two Ruger #1B's, along with a T/C Encore pistol....And a Rag Nose...

7bru
06-10-2007, 01:09 PM
first post for me. I have a g2 contender in 357 max and a bfhunter by EABCO falling block pistol in 7mm Bench rest magnum.

BRU

dmickey
10-28-2007, 05:32 PM
I am a shooter of single-shots too. I currently have seven 40XB Rangemasters in the single-shot action. I have another in for rebarreling and one more on order in .220 Swift! [smilie=w:

kodiak1
10-29-2007, 12:30 AM
Sharps, rollers and trapdoors. Even an old single shot cooey model 39 22.
Ken.

FitOrBust
06-22-2011, 01:46 AM
I've just begun searching for SingleShots, since I have gotten the bug-bite. I have 2 T/C Encores, one Pro-Hunter, plus 3 Lone Eagles, and a brand new Taurus Judge in 3"x3"-magnum. The Judge will be a test-bed for a few loads I want to push through my Encores and the Katahdin T/C. Since the "J" is the cheapest piece of the lot. I have this question re the Judge: How substantial is the cylinder? My contemplation is to load 3" brass hulls, (with crimp=2½in.) to push 230~260gr lead slugs. or copper discs combined with ØØ and cream-of-wheat. I have bought 4 reloading manuals for this experiment. But actual experience is what I will lean on. Is this task worthy, or worthless, compared to the cost of an hospital visit. F.O.B.

versifier
06-22-2011, 01:31 PM
I would not accept any Taurus product, even as a gift, never mind even considering trusting anyone's life to one. But that's me. When I was working on other people's guns I would not have one in my shop after more than a few bad experiences. I will grant that this was quite some time ago, but after watching more than one turn into shrapnel beside me I lost all trust in them and have seen nothing since that has changed my opinion of them. YMMV.

FitOrBust
06-22-2011, 05:06 PM
I do appreciate the factual notes of all minds on the 'net, and this includes yours. As you may deduce from my screen name, I like to test out a lot of things. Test To Destruction is what it means. My Judge will be wrung out factually and w/o tears. Full data are also a part of my fun. I accept your fact-based opinion, however when Dad said, "Don't touch the poker, Son, 'cuz it's hot" I of course had to test just HOW hot it was. I was clueless about the "J" when I at first heard of it. The price had a "get-em-while-they're-hot" / P T Barnum quality about it, and I let my curiosity wane. I gathered a sort of "Tuppere-ware-Glock" scent to many of the arguments, i.e. "I LOVE my Glock" , or "I HATE all Glocks" That tea-pot tempest has shaken out a few bad things about Glock that have made Gaston forge it into a better weapon, over-all. And now that same camp has brought some True Believers (those who could profit from a Taurus success), and some ammo manufacturers are offering some special .410-bore loads for the "J", it caught my attention again. [[ Right here I must state that my "J" is in a gun shop on consignment. I have the consignee's O.K. to shoot it some. The full-handful and muzzle-flash made him nervous. It has the full factory warrant, and if anything goes wrong, it will be fixed; if I test to "ka-bOOM" I'll buy the gun for the posted price. The owner is as curious as I. ]] So, again, I don't see your opinion detracting from the facts you know, and I value that in anyone. Thanks for the report, and I'll post pictures of the "final shot" of my Judge. F.O.B.

mattbowen
07-12-2011, 11:45 AM
Just found this post and only the second day of postings. I have two single shots one NEF Handi in 45/70 and one Pedersoli Sharps in 45/70.

Matt

303tom
07-28-2011, 02:37 AM
O yes , most gun nuts have a collection of single shots , me I have a bunch !

mazo kid
08-09-2011, 04:03 PM
Yup, my locker is starting to bulge at the seams with a variety of H&R's, Buffalo Classics, and Contenders. Are they an addiction? Me thinks maybe!
HAH!! Addiction, indeed! I have Trapdoors, Rolling Blocks, Sharps, Brownings, Stevens, Winchesters, H&As, etc. Notice they are all plural??! Then there is the Ruger #1 and old Remmy 22 I bought when was 15. Then there's the pistols.....
My first post here, thanks for having me.