PDA

View Full Version : Hey Bullshop

uncle guns
01-28-2006, 02:33 PM
Please pardon a fool question,,,,, I see on your web site you sell spru plate lube,
Now I am no master caster but have been doing it a few years and have to date never heard or seen referance to lube on a spru plate.

So now I am thinkin....Wow what a great idea, I always wonderd why there wasnt any lube in that area, my lee molds get galled after a few yrs and even some of my lyman mold spru plates get to lookin rough,

Now I am not trying to steal your formula or anything like that but what, how, do you keep the lube in place? wont it melt off? I tried some lee liq. alox one time, it did ok but didnt last very long.

I know some will think this is a stupid question, OH WELL, I just never knew,or I missed spru plate lubeing when I got into this, so I hope all will understand my enthusiasem ( I cant spell either) over such a small thing but molds aint cheep
and I like to take care and make them last a long time...........

Best regards U.G.:-D

krag35
01-28-2006, 05:48 PM
I have some of Bullshop's sprue plate lube, (have only used it on one mold so far) but I'm going to use it on ALL of my molds as I use them. I'm impressed. There was a good thread over on the cast boolits board about it some time back, try a search, it'll show up. I have cast a 3# coffee can of 311284's out of a Lyman 4 banger, and it hasn't come off yet.
krag35

Bullshop
01-29-2006, 04:41 AM
Please pardon a fool question,,,,, I see on your web site you sell spru plate lube,
Now I am no master caster but have been doing it a few years and have to date never heard or seen referance to lube on a spru plate.

So now I am thinkin....Wow what a great idea, I always wonderd why there wasnt any lube in that area, my lee molds get galled after a few yrs and even some of my lyman mold spru plates get to lookin rough,

Now I am not trying to steal your formula or anything like that but what, how, do you keep the lube in place? wont it melt off? I tried some lee liq. alox one time, it did ok but didnt last very long.

I know some will think this is a stupid question, OH WELL, I just never knew,or I missed spru plate lubeing when I got into this, so I hope all will understand my enthusiasem ( I cant spell either) over such a small thing but molds aint cheep
and I like to take care and make them last a long time...........

Best regards U.G.:-D
Its OK uncle when you dont know its best to ask. I have spent the last 15 years developing lubes for shooters. Still learning and always looking for something better. All molds need to be lubed at the pivot points in the handles, sprue plate pivot, alignment pins, and any contact point that has metal sliding over metal, that being the bottom of the plate and tops of blocks. If this is not done damage will result, and possibly very quickly with aluminum blocks at high temp. Bull Plate is the best lube I have found for this. It not only prevents wear and galling but also completely prevents lead smearing on the blocks even if the sprue is cut while still molten. Follow aplication instructions and it stays right where you put it, does not run off or burn off. It allows the sprew to be cut soft with the push of a gloved finger instead of having to hit it with a mallet of some kind. This gentler handling also aids in longer life of the mold. I have aluminum molds that have produced tens of thousands of boolits and are in excellent condition. I have never worn out a mold and with reasonable care they should last more than one life time.
We also market what I believe are the best boolit lubes available in addition to a custom boolit casting service.
There now be nice to your mold, put some Bull Plate on it.
BIC/BS