PDA

View Full Version : My new K-31

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2006, 04:59 AM
As some of you may or may not have heard I got myself my first military surplus rifle, a nice old k-31. I got to pick the nicest one of all 4 and I got a nice one with a nice shiney bolt, no chips it the stock, a nice dark stock,and nice blueing. I was all done with school today and was ready to go shoot it and it was to cold (-45° with a hi of -35 in the sun at the peak of day)!!! I was mad but got over it, and will hopfully get to go shooting before the year is over!!!!!:twisted: [smilie=l: I got some ammo so when I get a chance I will post the results on this thread.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2006, 05:36 AM
I forgot to ask, do any of you know where I can get a sporter stock for the K-31?
Thank you.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
01-26-2006, 07:58 AM
http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/ Got to get me one to

Bullshop Junior
01-28-2006, 04:15 AM
At -50° (it is warming up now) I got kinda bored and went into a gun sporterzing frenzie and went to work on the k-31. I was going to do one of two things, either get the dents out of the stock or camo it out. The getting the dents out of the stock takes is taking all the finish off of the stock, so I decided to camo it out. I will post pictures of it when it is done drying, which it is doing right now. Pictures can explain better then I can. Because it is almost always snowing here I made it a snow camo for coyote hunting.
Hope to post pictures later.
DANIEL/ BS JR.

Mosko
01-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Well junior, for a 1st milsurp, the k31 is as good a choice as you can make, in my own opinion! The ammo is not as cheap and available as the Russian, or Mauser rifles, but I think you'll find, whenever you get to test it, that you've made a fine choice.

I would like to recommend to you, that the M1911 long rifle as well as the k11 Swiss are excellent rifles as well.

Once you get acustomed to firing the old "Swiss Misses", you'll develop a feeling where you won't be without "a few", ever again!

Enjoy the K31, and please let me know how your experience worked out after you've had a chance to get to the range.

Also, I might recommend, that you brush up on the general info about the Swiss rifles. I think you'll find that while at the range, the uniqueness of the Schmidt Rubins will bring a lot of questions from other shooters on the firing line.

Bullshop Junior
01-29-2006, 05:23 AM
mosko,
I will not have to worry about finding ammo for it. we own a small ammo and costom bullet casting bisiness, and I load my own ammo. If you want to know more (mare) about it go to http://www.bullshop.gunloads.com/
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
01-29-2006, 05:26 AM
Where's that pic?

d-o-k
01-29-2006, 06:29 AM
Good luck to you Dan . Loking forward to seeing the stock finnish! I think if I was going to do a cammo job over here it would have to be Red to match the landscape round here at the moment ! 100Degs + at the moment ! It's that hot I was watching a dingo chasing a rabbit ......& they were both walking :mrgreen:

Dave

versifier
01-29-2006, 07:35 AM
d-o-k,
How cold does it get there in the winter?

Bullshop Junior
01-29-2006, 07:14 PM
DRATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I probably won't get to shoot it until August!!!!!!!!!!! Right now it is -35°, and mom said to cold to shoot, but not to cold to go get fire wood.
WHEN I do get to test it, I will be testing it with:
http://gunloads.com/modules.php?name=Gunloads&cmd=Gunloads&did=71
I submitted the load. We shot it in a couple of other k-31s over the summer and it went right to the sights out to 300 yrds, which is all the way across the gravel pit. I will be shooting it alot when it finally warms up!! We built a shooting house across the road, and can shoot out to 200 yrds if we can get up a nice big berm.
Well I have to get fire wood, :evil:
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bullshop Junior
01-29-2006, 10:07 PM
Where's that pic?

Right:???: :???: here!!!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/08df0c45.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v239/bullshop/47b06d91.jpg
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
01-29-2006, 11:23 PM
COOL!!! Don't your mom know it never gets to cold to shoot

Mosko
01-29-2006, 11:46 PM
mosko,
I will not have to worry about finding ammo for it. we own a small ammo and costom bullet casting bisiness, and I load my own ammo.

Very good! When I bought my 1st K31, back in the 80's (I'd have to check my book to be exact) I think I paid nearly 600 bux delievred. The deals are much better not aren't they?

Back then, surplus ammo wasn't available, and .284 brass was about as scarse. Some of my K31's, the 1st one mentioned above included, didn't eject the brass perfectly due to the .284 head being slightly smaller than the 7.5x55.

Back then I bought 500 pieces of Norma 7.5x55 brass and have been re-rolling the same lot of brass since then.

I take care of the brass with anealing and proper loading with a slightly reduced load, and have found a most accurate round using the 147-150 gn surplus M80 USGI boat tail FMJ projectile. with IMR 4895 powder.

I also load a replacement round for the GP-90 for the M1889 Schmidt Rubins with the slightly shorter brass using the M2 (old .30 springfield) FMJ projectile.

Generally the Swiss rifles are like their watches, fine mechanical instruments.