PDA

View Full Version : Chamber cast T99

Toney
01-26-2006, 01:40 AM
brought home a t99 an ol'boy spent hours and hours sporterizing, did a very good job. got the bolt polished like crome, did a great blueing job.

When he got ready to shoot a 7.7 round will only chamber half way. thought it had a part of a case but now i think it's an insert. so now i'm trying to figure out what he's got

it's around 1.3" from where i think the rim should be the the base of the shoulder. the only thing in my book is the 30 herrett but it would not work, i think it's to short and the rim

rocklock
01-26-2006, 02:39 AM
7.62x39mm?

Toney
01-26-2006, 04:18 AM
No the 39 just barely sticks up out of the chamber, the 30 br is to short what about the 30ppc? gonna have to be close to the herrett

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2006, 04:42 AM
No, the 30 br is to short what about the 30ppc? gonna hanve to be close to the herrett

Toney,
Did you slug the barrel? My dad said that if it is a stock millitery rifle that it could be a 6.5 jap if it is a jap gun. if not it is possiply a rebarrel. I will look up the chamber casting in cartridges of the world. one more queston, Is the casting rimmed of rimless? to me and dad it looks alot like a 30/40 krag, and the first thing that poped in to my head was 30/30.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
01-26-2006, 04:48 AM
It's still got it's barrel it has,nt been set back. pretty sure it has a insert in it

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2006, 05:31 AM
It's still got it's barrel it has,nt been set back. pretty sure it has a insert in it
To me it looks a lot like a 30/30, but still looks alittle bit different. Looks a lot like a 219 donaldson. Mabe a 308 with a weird neck?
DANIEL/BS JR.

Bullshop Junior
01-26-2006, 05:59 AM
Toney,
I just went to cartridges of the world, and looked in the millitery secton of the book and that lookes exactly like a 6.5X50 jap. It look like what you have is a model 99 recever and a 38 berral.
DANIEL/BS JR.

Toney
01-28-2006, 06:49 PM
He's gonna try and pull out the insert.

versifier
01-28-2006, 09:30 PM
If it's epoxied in, the most common way to do it, you should be able to get it out with a heat gun and a broken shell extractor. I believe that the .308/-06 one will work in that action without any problem. Pop the action out of the stock, remove the bolt, and clamp the barrel in a padded vise. Then apply the heat from below until the front action ring is too hot to touch. (The heat gun won't get it hot enough to harm the finish.) Put in the bolt and with a glove on, hand feed the shell extractor up into the bolt, then cycle the action. The extractor should cleanly remove the insert. I have done this with Springfields and Mausers.
If it has been soldered in place, as is very rarely done to fix a damaged chamber without the cost and effort of rebarreling, you might be SOOL. If it has been reblued, there would no longer be any discernable evidence of the heat discoloration from soldering, so you wouldn't be able to tell what was done without a borescope. The acetylene torch needed to heat it up enough to melt the solder will possibly/probably damage the new finish. If it was hot blued, I would think that that would have killed the epoxy bond. My gut feeling is that the borescope is the next step.

Toney
01-29-2006, 12:55 AM
They got it out by threading a tap into it and driving it out through the muzzle. I would have pulled it the other way with a slide hammer or a nut and big washer.